Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #1036
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want Mobi when KF8 is a better format?
Probably because there was a search results that said use Mobi .
The problem with Internet searches is that answer may have been good 10 years ago, but is stale with respect to more modern (K4 > ) devices

Look for the date the post was made/updated and consider how it applies to YOUR model
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #1037
njpig
Connoisseur
njpig began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite3/Oasis2
Quote:
Kindle previewer for win10 kept crashing when I converted an epub ebook to kfx. So I was going to try to convert it to mobi.
However, I tried it on MAC, and no issue happened. So please ignore my original question.

One more question. The version of kindle previewer on my MAC is 3.52.1 while kfx output plugin supports 3.52.0 for now. Will this be an problem?

Thanks, Fei.
njpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #1038
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by njpig View Post
One more question. The version of kindle previewer on my MAC is 3.52.1 while kfx output plugin supports 3.52.0 for now. Will this be an problem?
Thanks, Fei.
10 posts ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.52.1. It is compatible with the current version of this plugin.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #1039
jtbayly
jtbayly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Another footnote question.

I've got an ePub file that I've converted to both AZW3 and KFX in Calibre.

When I view these files on my Paperwhite, in the AZW3 file, the footnotes seem to work properly. (They show in a popup when clicked.) But in the KFX file when I click them, they take me to the footnote page at the end of the chapter. (This happens in the KFX file whether I create it via the Calibre UI or via commandline.)

I like everything about KFX better, except this. Is this something others have faced or is there likely something wrong with my epub? What should I look for in terms of trying to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
jtbayly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:10 PM   #1040
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I'm wondering how to convert epub into mobi via kindle previewer CLI command?
I know that you withdrew the question, but I will answer in case anyone else is interested.

The Kindle Previewer CLI does not allow you to select the output format. It is supposed to produce KPF if the source book is compatible with Enhanced Typesetting and MOBI if not. However sometimes it crashes and produces no output file.

The Kindle Previewer includes Amazon's CLI tool for producing MOBI files, kindlegen. You can find it if you hunt around in the KPR installation folders. Under Windows it will usually be in the "%localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin" folder.

Quote:
A MOBI file produced using the Kindle Previewer or kindlegen is a Master MOBI that includes KF8 as one of its components. It is larger than a plain KF8 (azw3) file, but it has some advantages in that it will work on all Kindle models when sideloaded and also can be emailed to your Amazon account. The KF8 part of the file will be used by devices that support that format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #1041
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbacknet View Post
If you figure out a way to make this work let me know, because that's a Kindle native reader problem too and I'd be willing to format shift to save that incredible irritation. The Just Don't Care, it seems. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell was very confusing until I figured out, halfway in, that all of the footnotes were being truncated.
That book is a good example showing that even professionally published Kindle books can exhibit this problem.

If someone comes across a book with Enhanced Typesetting that displays a multi-paragraph popup footnote and lets me know I can see how it was done.

Quote:
I don't know if this will work, but you could try stitching the paragraphs together with <br/><br/> and see if that works. You would only have one <p</p>.
That will not work, unfortunately. The KFX converter automatically changes multiple <br/> elements into a new paragraph, which then gets excluded from the footnote.

Using <br/>-<br/> instead does work, but introduces a dash between paragraphs. There may be other tricks to separate paragraphs that would look better. Someone would need to experiment to find out.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #1042
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbayly View Post
When I view these files on my Paperwhite, in the AZW3 file, the footnotes seem to work properly. (They show in a popup when clicked.) But in the KFX file when I click them, they take me to the footnote page at the end of the chapter. (This happens in the KFX file whether I create it via the Calibre UI or via commandline.)
It is interesting that it works in your book using AZW3 but not KFX. My best explanation is that something isn't quite right and the AZW3 renderer is more tolerant of the error.

See the footnotes section of Amazon's text formatting guidelines. The crucial thing in having a footnote be recognized is the matching forward and back links.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #1043
jtbayly
jtbayly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The crucial thing in having a footnote be recognized is the matching forward and back links.
So I took a look at Amazon's document, and it's interesting. My ePub is ePub3, created by Pandoc. And it does footnotes like this:

Code:
<p>Here is footnote ref coming up<a href="#fn1" class="footnote-ref" id="fnref1" epub:type="noteref">1</a></p>
And here is the footnote itself:

Code:
<li id="fn1" epub:type="footnote"><p>Here's the text of the footnote.<a href="#fnref1" class="footnote-back" role="doc-backlink">↩︎</a></p></li>
You can see there are matching forward and back links. I don't see any discrepancies with Amazon's documentation, except that the back-link is at the end of the footnote instead of at the beginning, and they don't use a li tag, just a plain p for the footnote. Perhaps I'll try to create an epub2 from Pandoc and convert that and see if it does anything different with the footnotes. Anybody have enough experience with this stuff to see something I'm missing?
jtbayly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #1044
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbayly View Post
I don't see any discrepancies with Amazon's documentation, except that the back-link is at the end of the footnote instead of at the beginning, and they don't use a li tag, just a plain p for the footnote.
Amazon’s documentation is imprecise so it is hard to know what features of their examples are mandatory.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #1045
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Kindle previewer for win10 kept crashing when I converted an epub ebook to kfx. So I was going to try to convert it to mobi.
However, I tried it on MAC, and no issue happened. So please ignore my original question.

Thanks, Fei.
How did you go from KFX to Mobi when KF8 is better then both (overall)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #1046
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Using <br/>-<br/> instead does work, but introduces a dash between paragraphs. There may be other tricks to separate paragraphs that would look better. Someone would need to experiment to find out.
Given your - hack, could you use a non-breaking space instead?
Old 05-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #1047
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Given your - hack, could you use a non-breaking space instead?
That doesn’t work. It has to be a visible character or it is removed.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #1048
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That doesn’t work. It has to be a visible character or it is removed.
A period would work better as you can not have the actual period and use this period instead.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-03-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:17 AM   #1049
njpig
Connoisseur
njpig began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite3/Oasis2
Quote:
I know that you withdrew the question, but I will answer in case anyone else is interested.

The Kindle Previewer CLI does not allow you to select the output format. It is supposed to produce KPF if the source book is compatible with Enhanced Typesetting and MOBI if not. However sometimes it crashes and produces no output file.

The Kindle Previewer includes Amazon's CLI tool for producing MOBI files, kindlegen. You can find it if you hunt around in the KPR installation folders. Under Windows it will usually be in the "%localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin" folder.

Very helpful. Thanks!
njpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #1050
kindleSeltzer
kindleSeltzer began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2018
Quote:
Thanks for providing those files. From them I was able to determine the cause of the problem in creating page numbers.

It turns out that the algorithm I was using fails badly if a book contains paragraphs that a longer than one page. One of your sample books actually has very long paragraphs. I suppose that is just the writer's style. The other looks like it has normal sized paragraphs, but the HTML is actually coded with line breaks and indentation to make it appear as if there are separate paragraphs when in fact there are actually only a few very large paragraphs.

I will rework the page number algorithm to handle these cases and release a new version of this plugin. I expect it to be ready sometime next week.

Thanks again.
Wow! Thanks so much for fixing this!
kindleSeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine