Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
[Conversion Output] KePub Output Plugin

THIS PLUGIN IS BEING INTERMITTENTLY DEVELOPED! FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS MAY TAKE A FEW DAYS TO BE REPLIED TO.

This plugin allows creating KePub files without requiring a Kobo device to be connected.Converted books are saved to the calibre library as the 'KEPUB' format. ePub books processed with this plugin and sent to a modern Kobo device will be rendered using Kobo's internal kepub renderer instead of the standard ePub renderer.

Please see the README file for the most current details. I will try to keep this post up to date, but the README is always up to date.

WARNING: THE CONVERSION OUTPUT FORMAT PLUGIN GENERATES FILES WHOSE INTERNAL STRUCTURE IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. THE KEPUB FILE STRUCTURE IS NOT YET FULLY UNDERSTOOD. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DELETE THE FILES FOR THE SOURCE FORMAT. ALWAYS HAVE A NON-KEPUB FORMAT FOR YOUR BOOKS.

The main benefits of using the kepub renderer (which some may prefer not to have) are:
  • Page numbers show the number of page turns remaining in the current chapter instead of the estimated number of pages for the entire book.
    • If you don't want this, there is an option in the driver settings to force full-book page numbers.
  • Reading statistics (time left in this chapter, time for the next chapter, time to complete the book)
  • The book title is shown at the top of each page.
  • The chapter title, if any, is shown at the bottom of each page with the page numbers.

You are encouraged to install these two plugins as well, to ensure KePub metadata is correctly processed:

Usage
To use this plugin after installing:
  • Select the book(s) you want to convert.
  • Select the KEPUB output format
  • Choose your settings
  • Convert the books

WARNING: THE CONVERSION OUTPUT FORMAT PLUGIN GENERATES FILES WHOSE INTERNAL STRUCTURE IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. THE KEPUB FILE STRUCTURE IS NOT YET FULLY UNDERSTOOD. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DELETE THE FILES FOR THE SOURCE FORMAT. ALWAYS HAVE A NON-KEPUB FORMAT FOR YOUR BOOKS.

Special Notes
  • This plugin requires calibre 5.0.0 or later!
  • This device plugin enables access to Kobo features that are written with the expectation that only unmodified Kobo-purchased books will be used. Do not approach Kobo for support unless you see the exact same issue with a book purchased from Kobo and synced to your device via Kobo Desktop or direct wireless download.
  • Conversion defaults can be set in Preferences -> Output

Installation Directions

Open Preferences -> Plugins -> Get new plugins and install the 'KePub Output' plugin. You may also download the attached zip file and install the plugin manually, then restart calibre as described in the Introduction to Plugins thread.

Contributing

Decided you want to contribute to the development of this plugin? Awesome! If you want to contribute to the development of this plugin, you have many options:
  • Contribute code, whether for existing bug reports, for new bugs that you found, or for new features that you really want to see implemented. To contribute code, you may fork the repository and send a pull request, or you may send me a PM here with a Git patch file.
  • Submit bug reports on GitHub. Although I'm happy to discuss the plugin here, I may still ask you to create a bug report; this is so I actually remember to investigate your request!
  • Test pre-released code from GitHub. Between releases, new code is committed and may be installed using directions provided in the README file. Based on your testing, you may submit bug reports, provide feedback, think of new feature requests, or just generally enjoy early access (and not necessarily stable code!) to upcoming versions of the plugin.
  • Translate the plugin on the plugin's Transifex page.

Although I'm generally perfectly happy to discuss possible issues here, any issues sent to me through any means other than the Github bug tracker (including email, PM, etc.) may be silently ignored. This is not because I don't care! It's because I have a terrible memory, the Github issue tracker is my "to-do list" for this plugin, and there's been instances where I've seen a post or PM here and promptly forgotten all about it until I happened to stumble across the post again later. If you aren't sure if you have an issue, feel free to post here and we can work together to decide if you need to make a new Github issue or not. If you are sure you have an issue, or if you have an error or exception from calibre, post a new issue. It isn't necessary to post here when you make a new issue, I get notified of all new bugs and I check the list regularly. The worst that could possibly happen on Github is the same that could happen here: I'll tell you that it's not a bug and you'll have the opportunity to convince me otherwise!

Version History

Spoiler:

Version 3.6.6 - 2023-09-20
Update translations for Spanish (es_ES)
Version 3.6.5 - 2023-08-15
Update translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Italian
Version 3.6.4 - 2023-07-17
Fix a timeout error that may occur when processing a large number of books.
Version 3.6.3 - 2022-07-31
Fix issues with threading and with calibre 6/QT6 (thanks davidfor!)
Version 3.6.0 - 2022-06-06
Keeping in sync with KoboTouchExtended conversion code
Version 3.5.3 - 2021-08-13
Use calibre smartyPants for punctuation smartening
Version 3.5.2 - 2021-07-17
Fix issue with exceptions being thrown in subprocesses
Version 3.5.1 - 2021-07-04
No longer compatible with Python 2
Use a process pool to avoid starting too many threads on massive books (https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...ver/issues/135)
Version 3.4.4 - 2021-01-11
Hopefully fix random disappearing spaces between some words
Version 3.4.3 - 2021-01-05
Fix for non-English locales on Windows failing to load or install the plugin
Version 3.4.2 - 2020-12-30
Fix from davidfor to properly reset the paragraph counter when uploading multiple files
Version 3.4.1 - 2020-10-11
Fix a bug with duplicating koboSpan IDs within a file.
Add options to control hyphenation settings (word length, characters before and after).
Python 2 testing removed.
Version 3.3.0 - 2020-10-09
Make the KePub conversion multi-threaded.
Remove obsolete CSS hyphenation properties.
Version 3.2.15 - 2020-08-21
Skips <svg> tags and children when adding Kobo spans.
Version 3.2.13 - 2020-07-04
Fix HTML cleanup in the container and exception string processing
Version 3.2.12 - 2020-06-22
Fixes from davidfor for adding a closing </p> in the wrong place
Version 3.2.11 - 2020-06-20
Stop stripping whitespace from the left of each text chunk.
Version 3.2.10 - 2020-06-17
Fix from NiLuJe for more Unicode processing and some misplaced KEPubContainer references.
Version 3.2.9 - 2020-06-17
Fix issue with the logger object not being callable and the conversion adding stray <br> tags
Version 3.2.7 - 2020-05-16
Fix Windows issues with Unicode strings.
Version 3.2.3 - 2020-05-11
Fix logging issue with non-ASCII characters on Windows
Version 3.2.2 - 2020-05-10
Python 3 compatibility - Plugin loads in both calibre and Python 3 calibre beta
Version 3.1.4 - 2019-05-05
Fix exception seen when saving settings (but did not block saving)
Version 3.1.2 - 2019-04-30
Fix bad preference migration seen by some people
Version 3.1.0 - 2019-04-21
Remove code to replace the book language, now handled by the base Kobo driver when sending the file to a device.
Version 3.0.0 - 2017-10-30
Imported to BitBucket, made small bugfix and formatting changes, new translations
Version 2.7.1 - 2016-06-26
Spanish (es_ES) translation update
Version 2.7.0 - 2016-06-25
Code cleanup from new driver code, no-op functionally
[B]Version 2.6.2 - 2016-05-16
Fix exceptions raised when the spine has files not actually in the book (a.k.a., fixing what the publisher should be fixing)
[B]Version 2.6.1 - 2016-04-13
Fix spaces being removed from some tags
[B]Version 2.6.0 - 2016-04-09
Be more Kobo-like in KePub generation (whitespace between sentences goes at the beginning of the following span)
Version 2.5.3 - 2015-09-30
Fix problem preventing the cover image from being set properly with unusually-set OPF IDs
Version 2.5.1 - 2015-08-05
Fix issues with file names not being handled properly
Version 2.3.3 - 2015-02-02
Update style-hacks.css to remove everything except the padding rules
Version 2.3.2 - 2015-01-30
Update to wrap the book text in divs matching Kobo KePubs, with accompanying CSS changes
Version 2.2.20 - 2014-08-14
Fix indentation issue from last update
Version 2.2.19 - 2014-08-13
Fix an issue with text after empty tags being duplicated
Version 2.2.18 - 2014-07-16
Fix an issue with prefs pane not loading properly in calibre beta
Version 2.2.17 - 2014-07-09
Compatibility with upcoming calibre 2
Version 2.2.16 - 2014-05-30
Bug #1324884 - Image tags need to be wrapped in koboSpan tags
Version 2.2.15 - 2014-05-01
Bug #1310967 - properly decode content files when they aren't UTF-8
Version 2.2.14 - 2013-12-20
Translations update
Version 2.2.13 - 2013-11-26
Bug #1252050 - Do not translate the plugin name.
Version 2.2.12 - 2013-11-08
Bug #1246505 - Stop adding spaces around em-dashes
Add translation support and initial translations
Version 2.2.10 - 2013-10-13
Minor improvements from KoboTouchExtended development
Version 2.2.5 - 2013-08-25
Bug #1216504: Properly handle Processing Instruction and Comment nodes
Version 2.2.3 - 2013-08-20
Initial release. Version set to remain in sync with KoboTouchExtended.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KePub Output.zip (42.2 KB, 9250 views)

Last edited by jgoguen; 09-20-2023 at 10:25 AM.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Very comprehensive and nice to see a separate thread now for the converter, rather than mixed in with the driver.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Great work Joel
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just used this plugin to convert a batch of 163 books, first I started with 3 books to see if all worked, and when it went smoothly I converted the remaining 160, and send it to the glo without problems, at last I can send the kepubs without to much hassle, and it only took minutes, I didn’t pay much attention to the clock but I think it was around 10 minutes, before this plugin when the conversion was on send it took much more time.

So again great work, so much, you are indeed a “generally awesome person“
Old 08-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, here's where I break your bubble The whole process has quite likely taken you at least the same amount of time, or maybe more, as with only the driver if you converted and then sent books to the device right away. If you converted a bunch and then you're sending a few at a time (like I do) then you may have saved a bit of time. The code for converting on send and converting through calibre is identical; not just copied, but literally the exact same module. It's significantly faster to send a pre-converted KePub, yes, because I coded the driver to not convert KePub books but there's no time savings at all when you convert and then send.

With all that said... there was some general improvements in the speed of converting books. So it probably was faster to convert than before, but it's not because of using the conversion plugin first
Advert
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
tempest@de
Fanatic

Maybe it was my excitement about finally being able to send the kepubs to the glo, but it did feel faster, but that’s ok, even if it took more time I’d still be satisfied with it, I really missed the options off the kepubs the last few weeks that I had to read epubs.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

As long as you're reading happily, that's the important thing
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Something odd seemed to be happening with conversion. I have just started using some CSS to format the first paragraph of a chapter with no indent - previously I did this by manually changing the class for the first paragraph but using the selector :

Code:
h2+p {text-indent: 0;}
Works fine by changing the indent when the paragraph immediately follows a h2.

This renders correctly when viewing the EPUB but when I convert it to KEPUB the selector gets lost and doesn't appear in the KEPUBs CSS.

So I dug deeper and realised that when converted the CSS gets modified so that everything is done with classes but it wasn't honouring the selector I had set. This was actually a conflict with the "look and feel" settings that were in force from when I converted to EPUB. By getting rid of the "remove spacing between paragraphs" (and thus the applied indent) the conversion created the correct classes so that the first paragraph following a h2 did not have an indent although the remaining ones did.

I mention this in case anyone else hits a similar problem. Calibre was doing what I had asked - it's just that I hadn't realised it

I expect the same happens with "on the fly" conversions so beware that your carefully crafted css isn't being "adjusted" when you upload a KEPUB.

BobC
Old 09-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Polynésia
Polynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo glo
Hello,

I installed this plugin with version 2.2.10 of kobotouchextended.

Yet I have been true for the total number of pages of the ebook but it does not work. I try to convert most ebook and each can not have the total number of pages.

I think it does not work also with version 2.2.9

The official extension is kepub.epub kobo or kepub?

Sincerely,

Last edited by Polynésia; 09-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Polynésia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

The option isn't present in the conversion plugin, only the driver plugin. If you manually make the change, that's nothing to do with either plugin unless you're using the driver plugin and the option to use full page numbers is disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynésia View Post
Hello,

I installed this plugin with version 2.2.10 of kobotouchextended.

Yet I have been true for the total number of pages of the ebook but it does not work. I try to convert most ebook and each can not have the total number of pages.
2.2.10 isn't released yet. I saw your post on the bug, I'll reply once I have time to sit down and look at the code and verify it. Not sure when that will be, I'm quite busy with my family lately.

Quote:
I think it does not work also with version 2.2.9
2.2.9 doesn't have this option. If you have manually made the change necessary and it isn't working, that's a bug with the Kobo device itself, not the driver.

Quote:
The official extension is kepub.epub kobo or kepub?
That depends. If you use the conversion plugin the output uses the extension "kepub" because calibre only supports single extensions. "kepub.epub" is treated as "epub" by calibre. Everywhere else, the proper double extension "kepub.epub" is used. In general, if you aren't sure just leave the extension alone and use calibre to manage books to make sure the right extension is used.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
tharael89
Enthusiast
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
great work. this plugin saved us.
just a question. is possible to set the plugin to ignore all the calibre css conversion? i mean when converted i get also the [class="calibre"] all over the code in place of the stylesheet i use. i tried to put the css in the conversion and it works. but i still get calibre everywhere and it's really a pain to do further edit to the book.
ah. probably an error on my part. but when i try to put the .kepub in the sd and load in the reader (aura hd, 2.8.1) it goes black screen and i have to reset.
after conversion do i have to manually add the .epub to have the .kepub.epub that the kobo can read or it's a problem with the conversion or the folder where i put the books?
ps: i don't use calibre for the managment and put the books directly in the directory of the sd
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
BobC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharael89 View Post
ah. probably an error on my part. but when i try to put the .kepub in the sd and load in the reader (aura hd, 2.8.1) it goes black screen and i have to reset.
after conversion do i have to manually add the .epub to have the .kepub.epub that the kobo can read or it's a problem with the conversion or the folder where i put the books?
ps: i don't use calibre for the managment and put the books directly in the directory of the sd
Yes, you will need to change the extension manually if you are not adding to book by using Calibre. The Extended Driver for Calibre takes care of changing the file extension to kepub.epub so it can be properly recognised by the Kobo.

BobC
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
is possible to set the plugin to ignore all the calibre css conversion? i mean when converted i get also the [class="calibre"] all over the code in place of the stylesheet i use.
Maybe, but I'm not sure. This plugin extends the standard calibre conversion, process, which is where those class names come from. Even if I could, I suspect it would be more effort than it's worth.

Quote:
Since you don't use calibre for managing the books on the SD card you must manually add the .epub extension to the file copied to the SD card. DO NOT change the extension on the file in your calibre folder! If you would use calibre to manage books, the extension would be taken care of automatically.

The reason for all this is that calibre only supports single extensions. The double extension '.kepub.epub' is treated as '.epub' by calibre, so I use only '.kepub' in calibre so that it gets recognized as a distinct format.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
tharael89
Enthusiast
tharael89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
ok. thx for the reply and thx again for the plugin.
i prefer to not use calibre because i would have to connect the reader. i find it easier to put them in the sd when i've got time.

ps: the class calibre "junk" it's been resolved.
i'm using sigil to do a find&replace. gotta use 5minutes to do but it's still better than giving more work to you guys.

thx again
tharael89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Polynésia
Polynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo glo
Hello,

thank you for the link.

I still do not see the utility that convert front kepub since you can not read the file type kobo who also extending kepub.epub in kobo?
Polynésia is offline   Reply With Quote