Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #1096
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
The language I am talking anbout is Polish which is not supported by the KDP platform (and looks like this situation is not going to change pretty soon).
Yes, the Kindle Previewer only allows conversion of books whose primary language, as set in the book's metadata, is within a set of about forty supported languages. Polish is not one of them.

The next release of the plugin will change the language code "pl" to "en" within a copy of the book prior to conversion. I will remove this handling if Amazon adds support for Polish in the Kindle Previewer sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
By the way, it is not true that Doitsu uses the language settings just for the report. His wrapper also invokes external Amazon program (kindlegen) and if I have the language set to Polish I run into the same kind of problems as with kfx conversion.
I based my comment on a quick look at the plugin code, but I don't use Sigil myself. I stand corrected.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #1097
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.55.0 - 25 Aug 2021

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.57. Version 3.57 adds support for text-shadow in books with vertical text and improves conversion of SVG images.

Remove links to non-existent targets in the NAV TOC that would otherwise cause conversion failures.

Allow conversion of Polish language books by changing their metadata to indicate that the primary language is English. (Polish is not a supported language for the Kindle Previewer.)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #1098
Springbok
Enthusiast
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the update. I have tested the new version and it works fine for me.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #1099
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.57.1. It is compatible with the current release of this plugin.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #1100
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Would installing Kindle Previewer over Wine work with calibre? I have an old Mac that doesn't support neither the latest KP, nor the latest calibre.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #1101
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
Would installing Kindle Previewer over Wine work with calibre? I have an old Mac that doesn't support neither the latest KP, nor the latest calibre.
I suspect that if your Mac is too old to run recent versions of the Kindle Previewer for MacOS that it also won't be able to run the Windows version under Wine. Both require a 64-bit system.

This plugin supports the Kindle Previewer being installed under Wine in a Linux environment. It doesn't support Wine under MacOS. The Installation section in first post in this thread give some information about software combinations that were tested and shown to work.

Your best hope is find an old version of the Kindle Previewer that can run on your Mac. The oldest version supported by this plugin is 3.38. Amazon does not make older releases available so you will need to look elsewhere for that.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:08 AM   #1102
songuyento
songuyento began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I use the kfx plugin to convert epub to kfx format but it seems that the kfx format remove all the link I use in epub for footnote. Is it a bug or is there anything to note when create footnote links? Thanks
songuyento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #1103
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by songuyento View Post
I use the kfx plugin to convert epub to kfx format but it seems that the kfx format remove all the link I use in epub for footnote. Is it a bug or is there anything to note when create footnote links? Thanks
The Kindle Previewer will convert properly formed footnotes into pop-up notes, but it should not be removing them entirely. The proper way to code footnotes for Kindle can be found in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.

I can look into why it is not working if you provide an EPUB file containing an example of the problem. (Do not upload anything under copyright.)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #1104
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has released Kindle Previewer version 3.58.0. It is NOT compatible with the current release of this plugin. I will release a new plugin version in a few days to correct this.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:57 AM   #1105
songuyento
songuyento began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The Kindle Previewer will convert properly formed footnotes into pop-up notes, but it should not be removing them entirely. The proper way to code footnotes for Kindle can be found in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.

I can look into why it is not working if you provide an EPUB file containing an example of the problem. (Do not upload anything under copyright.)
I use exactly the same code provided in the guidelines (method 1). If I use Kindle Previewer itself to export the epub file into mobi file then footnotes worked well. Sorry I can't upload the file here so maybe I'll wait for the new plugin version Thank you for your prompt reply
songuyento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:40 AM   #1106
AdventureTime
AdventureTime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exclamation

Hello. It's my first time to be here. I am experiencing an error like this with the two books that I am trying to convert from ePub to KFX:

Code:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert The Goldfinch: A Novel
KFX creation error: Unexpected Ion symbols used: $790
The same error happens in the books The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Goldinch.

I hope someone could help me with this.
I am using an Amazon Kindle Oasis.

Last edited by AdventureTime; 09-20-2021 at 01:41 AM. Reason: picture
AdventureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:23 AM   #1107
devil2trap
devil2trap began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
Hello. It's my first time to be here. I am experiencing an error like this with the two books that I am trying to convert from ePub to KFX:

Code:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert The Goldfinch: A Novel
KFX creation error: Unexpected Ion symbols used: $790
The same error happens in the books The Picture of Dorian Gray and The Goldinch.

I hope someone could help me with this.
I am using an Amazon Kindle Oasis.

Error $790 is because of kfx ouput plugin not compatible with Kindle Previewer newer version. Jhowell is going to update this plugin in few days....So for time being catch some series on Netflix.
devil2trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #1108
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.56.0 - 20 Sep 2021

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.58.0. Version 3.58.0 adds support for additonal list-style-type values (reflow-style-14) and fixes a problem that prevented conversion of some Japanese language books.

Support new KFX feature. (Fixes "Unexpected Ion symbols used: $790".)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #1109
AdventureTime
AdventureTime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil2trap View Post
Error $790 is because of kfx ouput plugin not compatible with Kindle Previewer newer version. Jhowell is going to update this plugin in few days....So for time being catch some series on Netflix.
Thank you for letting me know about this! Everything worked now! I am happy with it. Thank you for the update Jhowell.

However, I encountered another error and if I use AZW3 format, I do not receive this error message:

Code:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert Uncommon Ground: Living Faithfully in a World of Difference Conversion error: E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/private/var/folders/tf/96s5p4254pz7j3v2ygg7c5hc0000gn/T/1997feaf-7e3c-441f-963a-51f42466cd0d/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-MmIRXk/OEBPS/text/9781400221073_Titlepage.xhtml#
I do not know which steps I should do in order to fix this error

AdventureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #1110
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureTime View Post
However, I encountered another error and if I use AZW3 format, I do not receive this error message:

Code:
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: Cannot convert Uncommon Ground: Living Faithfully in a World of Difference Conversion error: E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/private/var/folders/tf/96s5p4254pz7j3v2ygg7c5hc0000gn/T/1997feaf-7e3c-441f-963a-51f42466cd0d/cTemp/mTemp/mobi-MmIRXk/OEBPS/text/9781400221073_Titlepage.xhtml#
That is an issue that I am working to resolve. In the mean time you should be able to work around the problem by selecting the option "Use cover from source file" in the Metadata tab of the conversion dialog.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine