Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
PistachioLover
PistachioLover began at the beginning.

Device: None
iPad Pro 9.7 for reading books?

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone can chime in whether or not the iPad Pro 9.7" is a suitable tablet for e-reading? The iPad Pro 9.7" features a True Tone display and apparently this reduces eye strain by adapting the screen's colour to your ambient lighting. Does anyone here read books on the iPad Pro?

I would rather buy an iPad Pro over an e-reader because it can do a lot more than just reading books, and I don't like owning many devices. On top of reading books, I would also like to read magazines, comics, articles, and PDF's, all of which seem like the iPad Pro is the perfect candidate for.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
PistachioLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My iPad Pro is my primary reading device and I do a lot of reading. I also use it to read several magazine. It's more that good enough.

Of course, like most reading devices it has it's good and not so good point. It's difficult to read in direct sunlight and it's best suited to reading when you hold it in your lap or on a stand rather than just hold in one hand. The good points is there is a lot of screen space.

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 as my primary eBook reader and I really love it. Previously I used my iPad Mini 2, but I like the iPad Pro 9.7 better, especially for magazines. I get no eyestrain from it, but YMMV of course. I agree with pwalker that it is good indoors but not so much in bright sunlight.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reading (non-fiction) is the prime use I make of my 12.9" iPad Pro and it's excellent for the job. I personally prefer to read fiction on my eInk Kindle Voyage, because it's so much lighter to hold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I have a couple of eInk devices, and an iPad Pro (9.7). I still prefer eInk for some reading, but the iPad Pro comes closer to my ideal reading experience than any iPad (or any LCD tablet) I have used so far. It could (almost) replace eInk. Besides the True Tone display, a number of iOS reading apps are very customizable, so I can come up with a combination of background color, brightness, and font that works well for me.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I use an Apple Air 2 for most eBook reading and I would expect the 9.7" Pro to be even better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
PistachioLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My iPad Pro is my primary reading device and I do a lot of reading. I also use it to read several magazine. It's more that good enough.

Of course, like most reading devices it has it's good and not so good point. It's difficult to read in direct sunlight and it's best suited to reading when you hold it in your lap or on a stand rather than just hold in one hand. The good points is there is a lot of screen space.
I don't plan to read outside so sunlight won't be a problem. Speaking of weight, I assume you have the 12.9" iPad Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I use my iPad Pro 9.7 as my primary eBook reader and I really love it. Previously I used my iPad Mini 2, but I like the iPad Pro 9.7 better, especially for magazines. I get no eyestrain from it, but YMMV of course. I agree with pwalker that it is good indoors but not so much in bright sunlight.
Do you use the True Tone feature when reading on the iPad Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Reading (non-fiction) is the prime use I make of my 12.9" iPad Pro and it's excellent for the job. I personally prefer to read fiction on my eInk Kindle Voyage, because it's so much lighter to hold.
As nice as the 12.9" iPad Pro is, I mainly don't want to get it because of the weight. Not only that, but I plan to use the Pro in university and also use it for notes; the less weight the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have a couple of eInk devices, and an iPad Pro (9.7). I still prefer eInk for some reading, but the iPad Pro comes closer to my ideal reading experience than any iPad (or any LCD tablet) I have used so far. It could (almost) replace eInk. Besides the True Tone display, a number of iOS reading apps are very customizable, so I can come up with a combination of background color, brightness, and font that works well for me.
This is really good to know, thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I use an Apple Air 2 for most eBook reading and I would expect the 9.7" Pro to be even better.

Dale
Good to know, thanks!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Indeed, I have the bigger model. From a reading experience point of view, there is little difference between them. I also use an iPad mini for on the go reading. The only difference is the size. I wouldn't want to read magazines on the mini. A magazine will fit fine on a 9.7 inch iPad Pro, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, I use the True Tone feature when reading.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioLover View Post
As nice as the 12.9" iPad Pro is, I mainly don't want to get it because of the weight. Not only that, but I plan to use the Pro in university and also use it for notes; the less weight the better.
Entirely understandable - I too take my 9.7" iPad Air 2 when I travel; it's a lot more portable than the 12.9" device. The larger device is, however, much better when it comes to reading PDFs originally formatted for an A4/Letter page size.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
PistachioLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, I use the True Tone feature when reading.
This is great to know. It's nice to see tablet manufacturers like Apple stepping up their game with improving screen display technology to reduce eye strain and create a more favourable reading experience. I would've bought a Kobo or a Kindle for reading, but I find them to be too limited and with an iPad, you can do so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Entirely understandable - I too take my 9.7" iPad Air 2 when I travel; it's a lot more portable than the 12.9" device. The larger device is, however, much better when it comes to reading PDFs originally formatted for an A4/Letter page size.
Is the 12.9" Pro better for reading PDFs because you don't have to zoom in?

I'm looking to buy a Pro but I'm in a dilemma because rumour has it that Apple will be announcing/releasing a 10.5" iPad Pro soon.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistachioLover View Post
Is the 12.9" Pro better for reading PDFs because you don't have to zoom in?
Yes, exactly that.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I really enjoy the True Tone feature for reading. I read with both my iPad Pro and Mini since I have a Scribd subscription which requires you to use their app to read. I wish Apple had a Mini Pro with similar features. I like reading with my iPad Pro using landscape mode with two columns. This method works especially well with a portable stand and sitting at a table and enjoying a cup of coffee as a real-world example of how I use it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9.7, ipad pro, reading, true tone