Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
jaarons
jaarons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
How to backup Collections from iBooks

Hi everyone,

My iPad is running super slow right now, which is probably due to my book collections which is massive and certainly what takes up the most room.

So, it's time to do a complete wipe and refresh.

I don't mind having to install all the apps again, but the thing that's taken the most time is the collections I have put together in iBooks.

With well over 2000 books, they are all neatly in their collections (and ordered within them) and I don't want to lose all that information. Reuploading the books is fine (I can do that overnight) but I don't want to lose the information that has the collections and the order within them.

I have iExplorer installed if that helps. Can anyone advise?
jaarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #2
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I thought collections were backed up online. Just make sure you have collections and annotations sync on.
Also, are you using iCloud for iBooks? Even with 2000 books, you should not exceed the 5GB space that come with a free account. Alternatively, you could subscribe to the 50GB plan for one month to help you transition...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've certainly never done a "wipe" on an iPad. I can honestly think of no reason why a large book collection would result in the device running slowly. Does it speed up if iBooks is not running? If not, that would seem to rule out iBooks as the culprit.

If the cause of the slow-down is memory fragmentation, simply rebooting the iPad should fix it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
jaarons
jaarons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I should clarify, the books are not purchased books. They're from my hard drive in PDF or ePUB format.
jaarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Is your iPad just about out of storage space? That could cause a slow down. Also an unrelated app could be the issue. If a reboot doesn't fix the issue, you can double-click the Home button and close all the apps running in the background to see if that helps. You might also have a rogue app causing a slow down. Some apps are old and haven't been updated in a long time, and they might not work well with newer iOS updates.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaarons View Post
I should clarify, the books are not purchased books. They're from my hard drive in PDF or ePUB format.
You can still upload them to iCloud if you enable that feature. Let it run over night saves you all the hassle...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote