Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
myet01
myet01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Reading RTF Documents - Touch

Ok the specifications says that the Kobo Touch reads RTF documents. So I took a MS Word Doc and saved it as RTF. Put it on my Kobo Touch by using explorer and dragging it onto the internal memory. Ejected my Kobo and the Kobo Touch cannot find the RTF document even though it is there and I can see it using explorer?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony
myet01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I haven't tried it on Touch, but on WiFi, you had to create a documents folder (in the same place you will see .kobo folder and others) and place them there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
myet01

On the touch I use mostly PDFs and I have found you can just put them at the top level not in any folders and the touch finds them automatically. I just thought RTFs would be the same but perhaps not? I will try your suggestion and let you know.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
myet01

Ok, got it to work. I didn't have to create any special folders or anything. It appears that the RTF I was using (17 MB) was either a corrupt, you can't have RTF with an image in them or there is an upper limit to the size of RTFs you can use. I created another RTF much smaller, simpler and no images and it worked ok. I placed it at the upper level of the memory and not in a folder and the touch found it.

Tony
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
kewl--does it show up as a document or is it in with your books?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I do wonder if the RTF created by Word is as "simple" as it might be!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
myet01

It shows up under books in the library and displays a generic book icon for the RTF document.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I do wonder if the RTF created by Word is as "simple" as it might be!
Word does have adding bloat to anything it touches. Not sure about an RTF though.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
Word does have adding bloat to anything it touches. Not sure about an RTF though.
Yes, they add all sorts of things but the rule for RTF readers is to ignore anything you don't understand so the file might be bigger but it should still be readable. The format is designed to be ok if optional sections are skipped.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
I just saved a TXT file using Word, and I didn't notice any extra bloat.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

I have a 136kb text file that kills the Kobo. Has anyone had any luck viewing things in UTF-8, or does it all have to be ASCII?
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
For reading TXT files does it do a good job flowing paragraphs from line segments that occur? Does it handle hyphens at the end of lines (delete & join with following line), and all of the other text mode activites to turn it into somethg readable.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
People, don't forget when you add a new document you have to hold down the home button on ejecting to search for new books.
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
People, don't forget when you add a new document you have to hold down the home button on ejecting to search for new books.
Huh?

Never EVER seen this mentioned anywhere!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
I've never had to do that when I've added various documents. Never heard of it before either.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote