Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Downgrading a jb'ed PW3 G090KB from 5.9.2

I have a white PW3 G090KB with firmware 5.9.2 which is jailbreaked.

At the moment KUAL, python and librarian sync are working and when usb is connected it boots into diag mode.

Is it possible to downgrade it to a former version as it's already jb'ed?
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Yes, you should be able to do so from the diag mode. I don't know the details, but you will of course need the proper firmware update file for the version you want to install.

I would suggest you PM knc1, he would know where to point you.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
cuk
cuk began at the beginning.

Please any idea how to do this? My pw3 just upgraded OTA to 5.9.4.

I want to make factory reset, but now on 5.9.4 I am afraid to do that, becasue I dont want to lose my JB.
cuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by makue View Post
I have a white PW3 G090KB with firmware 5.9.2 which is jailbreaked.

At the moment KUAL, python and librarian sync are working and when usb is connected it boots into diag mode.

Is it possible to downgrade it to a former version as it's already jb'ed?
If it boots into the diags system (the Kindles are dual boot systems) you have everything you need.
Just consider the main system running 5.9.4 to be "bricked" and follow the directions to debrick it, using the files from the Amazon update image of your choice.

There is a sticky thread with "Where do I start" in the title.
Start there with the information about de-bricking a Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
This should work and is more concise read than de-bricking jumbo-sized-post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272132

You should of course use appropriate older firware for PW3 (and one that can be jailbreak-ed).

Before stating the downgrade procedure you should consult @knc1 regarding the implication (if there are any) of updated U-Boot (IIRC the first 5.9.x update for PW3 had u-boot file inside update bin).

Last edited by shamanNS; 03-18-2018 at 08:58 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
cuk

This looks like easier way, because I was reading the thread about debricking yesterday and I was quite confused about all the information there.

But now, it seems that there may be a problem with U-Boot
Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuk View Post
This looks like easier way, because I was reading the thread about debricking yesterday and I was quite confused about all the information there.

But now, it seems that there may be a problem with U-Boot
There has never been a problem with U-Boot of any make or model Kindle.
It is something which you have done (or not done).

Give much more detailed information on what you have done and the result of each of those things.
Nobody can give you advice based on the problem description: "broke" or "has some problem".
Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
cuk

At this moment I have done nothing. My "problem" is that I charged my Kindle PW3 after 3-4 months, for some reason I switched off the airplane mode and my kindle got updated OTA (my bad that I didn't block this feature). So it was updated from 5.8.x to 5.9.4 in a while. Then I want to switch on screensaver hack for cover mode, but the old KUAL (dev) didn't work. So it was neccessary to install KUAL (nomax KOA2). I had updated python and linkss etc. Everythink is now working on 5.9.4 but it is not possible to uninstall the old version of KUAL so I have now in collection 2 KUAL (doc and DEV). DEV version is not possible to launch.

So my plans are to downgrade fw to some of 5.8.x versions, install KUAL and block the OTA updates for future. So now I need to find out how to do it.

Just for sure, I am reading threads on this forum for more information because I don't want to brick my Kindle. That is also the reason why I asked "you all" here for advice.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
If you search the forums (don't remember where exactly, maybe kual thread) there is a post with a sqlite command to remove the image from showing up on your menu.

You remove the file and you remove the link (or keep it from showing) and you'll have your ereader working the way you want in a matter of minutes.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
cuk

I am not sure, maybe I am wrong, but... I did't find any succesful method. If I read right knc1 is still working on that script for now
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuk View Post
At this moment I have done nothing. My "problem" is that I charged my Kindle PW3 after 3-4 months, for some reason I switched off the airplane mode and my kindle got updated OTA (my bad that I didn't block this feature). So it was updated from 5.8.x to 5.9.4 in a while. Then I want to switch on screensaver hack for cover mode, but the old KUAL (dev) didn't work. So it was neccessary to install KUAL (nomax KOA2). I had updated python and linkss etc. Everythink is now working on 5.9.4 but it is not possible to uninstall the old version of KUAL so I have now in collection 2 KUAL (doc and DEV). DEV version is not possible to launch.

So my plans are to downgrade fw to some of 5.8.x versions, install KUAL and block the OTA updates for future. So now I need to find out how to do it.

Just for sure, I am reading threads on this forum for more information because I don't want to brick my Kindle. That is also the reason why I asked "you all" here for advice.
Just ignore the non-functioning KUAL document, it does no harm.
If it really bugs you, just hide it in a collection where you don't have to look at it.

The "KUAL ghost" will eventually be dealt with.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
3ldn1k
3ldn1k began at the beginning.

Device: kt3 basic
[QUOTE=knc1;3671043]If it boots into the diags system (the Kindles are dual boot systems) you have everything you need.
Just consider the main system running 5.9.4 to be "bricked" and follow the directions to debrick it, using the files from the Amazon update image of your choice.

Nice to meet you, knc1.
just today I was forced to develop a method, how to boot kt3 basic reader, which stucked into u-boot WIITHOUT any diags, and without working screen, i have made post. about it.
3ldn1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ldn1k View Post
- - - - -
just today I was forced to develop a method, how to boot kt3 basic reader, which stucked into u-boot WIITHOUT any diags, and without working screen, i have made post. about it.
But that post is worthless to any of our readers since you never described how you corrected the problem.

Bragging rights only last a short while and do not help other people with the same problem.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
3ldn1k
3ldn1k began at the beginning.

Device: kt3 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But that post is worthless to any of our readers since you never described how you corrected the problem.

Bragging rights only last a short while and do not help other people with the same problem.
just look better, link in my post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296032
3ldn1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ldn1k View Post
You posted that 04/07
My comment that you quoted was made 04/06, before you provided the information.