Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
up2echo
up2echo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura One & Calibre & Collections

Help! - Collections are a great way for me to manage my books and help me find my next book to read (among the hundreds of unread books I have), but I'm having issues "connecting the dots" between my new Kobo Aura One (KA1) collections and my Calibre collections.

I've created collections on my KA1 and I understand how I can select (side-loaded) books on my KA1 and add them to a KA1 collection. I also understand how to send books from Calibre to my KA1 main memory.

What I haven't figured out yet, is how to get the (side-loaded) books in Calibre into the KA1 collections (without going through each book on KA1 and manually adding it to a KA1 collection)?

Appreciate all suggestions!
up2echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked at Kobo_Shelves_and_Collections in the MobileRead wiki?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
up2echo

Thank you for suggesting, but I did check out that page already.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem to answer my question (let me know if I missed something). It seemed to be focused on earlier Kobo ereaders and I didn't see the offered solution work for the Aura One.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All kobo eInk eReaders run the same software.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
up2echo

I took another look at that wiki link you provided, but I don't seem to be techie enough to understand all steps that are needed to send books from calibre to the Kobo collections.

FYI, I did create a custom column, but instead of setting it up in csv format, I selected "text, but with a fixed set of permitted values." Is that my error? I also put the lookup name (#tags) in the plug-in customization.

When I send the books to the KA1, though, they don't make it into the Kobo collection. I'm obviously missing steps, but I don't know what?

Thank you for any and all tips.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The "Collection Columns" is a list of columns in the calibre library. The values in those columns are used as the collection names and the books will be put into those collections. You can use one or more columns and they can be of any type.

Common choices are:

- "tags" - all the tags you have for the books will be used as the collection names.
- "series" - put the books into a collection for the series the books are in.
- "tags, series" - both of the above.

Your custom column should work. You probably need to have the "Create Collections" options selected. Then, the most common mistake is not to set the "Metadata management" option to automatic. This is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the calibre preferences.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, ka1, kobo aura one