Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
vienfet
vienfet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unhappy Broken Kobo Glo HD, what next? Life changing decision

Hey guys, so after 1 year of use and a lot of drops my kobo glo HD has broke (I know I should have taken better care of it). I did not realize how fragile eReaders are. Anyways... I am faced with the following options and I can't seem to make a decision:

1) Buy another Kobo Glo HD $189 and perhaps invest in a good case (I had the kobo beige cover, please recommend any goods ones) and this time take better care of it.

2) Repair my iPad Mini 2 Screen, $130. Just use it for books, articles, PDFs, maybe some browsing, but most things I do on my phone, Galaxy Note 3.

3) Invest in a Kindle perhaps the Oasis ($549), Voyage ($349) or the latest Paperwhite ($269). Suggestions for this would be great as well. I don't mind the Amazon ecosystem, and there is a way I believe to convert ePub to Mobi and hopefully make it readable. Expensive option, however i'm not sure if the cost is justified since I have some books bought from the Kobo store.

4) Save up for an iPad Air since it's super light.

I love the flexibility of the Kobo - how I can use books from multiple stores and the use of ePub, the iPad has the same flexibility as well. I am also very concerned with durability, of course I will be taking much better care of it, but I mean I don't want random vertical/horizontal lines of death when there has been no fatal incident.

Right now I think buying a new kobo or repairing my iPad screen is the most cost effective option. What do you guys think? Never had much experience using a tablet as an eReader so insights from others with experience would be appreciated aswell. Has anyone held their kobo for more than 1 year?

Last edited by vienfet; 12-05-2016 at 07:01 AM.
vienfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Glo HD is actually discontinued; some people have had luck via eBay / Amazon / Kijiji.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Compared to the other eink reader prices you cited, a Glo HD for $189 is a terrific deal. It's a great ereader and won't be available much longer, so if you want eink, you should jump on it. It has the advantage of requiring no alteration in your current set-up, also.

You do sound rather breaky. If you don't mind reason on a tablet, fixing the iPad Mini is your most-effective choice and it'll be sturdier than eink (even though you broke that, too. ).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I find reading on a tablet sucks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd say stick with Kobo and maybe invest in a good case and some bubble wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienfet View Post
I love the flexibility of the Kobo - how I can use books from multiple stores and the use of ePub, the iPad has the same flexibility as well.
With Calibre and Apprentice Alf, any e-reader has those same capabilities. (Well, you have to convert from ePub for the Kindle, but still...)

I personally wouldn't want to read on a tablet, so I don't have advice on that. Of the two options left, you buy another Kobo or buy a Kindle. Since the cheapest model Kindle you are looking at costs $80 more, a Kindle is no more or less fragile than a Kobo and you seem to prefer Kobo anyway, the answer seems obvious.

One option you may not have considered: Look at a Kobo Aura 2 or even buy a Kobo Aura off of eBay. Yeah, the screen isn't as nice as the Glo HD, but the price is less. At the very least you won't feel as bad if you break it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not really sure ereaders are all that fragile. Sounds like you had some bad luck.

I'm reasonably careful with mine but no more than that. I've been using them for years and loaning them to my neighbors who want to read something. I did get one back from a loan with a scratch in the screen. It was still easily usable but that bothered me and I got a replacement. Other than that I've never had one broken.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm not really sure ereaders are all that fragile.
Secretly I agree with you. But the consensus on the forum here seems to be that they are made from eggshells and crystal and I've never bucked the trend.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Secretly I agree with you. But the consensus on the forum here seems to be that they are made from eggshells and crystal and I've never bucked the trend.
Some people on the forum would have fits and spells if they saw how I treat my ereaders. Right now they are just stacked on top of each other.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Some people on the forum would have fits and spells if they saw how I treat my ereaders. Right now they are just stacked on top of each other.
Ha ha! Me, too. I have my Sony pile and my Pocketbook pile.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Frieda
Frieda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 (RIP), Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura One
I've had a Kobo Touch for 4.5 years now, with daily use on transit, at home, and everywhere else. I've never used any case for it. It definitely works best to make sure whatever bags you carry have a good place to put the reader (so that you don't end up with a heavy weight resting on the device at a weird angle or something).

I used a Sony PRS-505 for several years before that and only rendered that one inoperable when I took the thing apart to attempt a battery replacement and tore one of the ribbon cables inside. That thing was well built, plus it had a lanyard attachment built in, which was great for reassurance when you're reading one-handed while hanging onto a subway strap. Just loop the thing around your wrist and never worry about dropping it. I wish more devices still had those.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, ereader, kobo, tablet