Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
read113
read113 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Jesse, Thanks for all the hardwork on the plugin.

In your instruction you say to edit the m3u file.

What am I editing for, mp3tag Pro creates Absolute paths by default.

Can I create all my m3u files and put them in one director and add them all at once to Calibre?

Is there something I can add to the m3u file that will help Calibre populate the metadata easier.

Last edited by read113; 02-10-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: missed a question
read113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast
Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Just a follow up on M3U files.

re: What am I editing for, mp3tag Pro creates Absolute paths by default.

Answer: Lucky you. You are using a more recent version of mp3tag that I was. ;-D

As long as it has absolute paths or absolute URLs, you don't need to edit it.

-Jesse
Jesse Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #18
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
Hi,

first: thanks for writing that plugin, it's highly useful.

But for some reason or other, when I import mp3s to calibre, I only get metadata stuff from the filename (which is. title - artist (writer)) instead of it being read from the mp3 tags (which are within the mp3 files in full glory) - which means no series, no series index, etc.

The 'Read information from tags rather than from filename' option is definitely checked/switched on, checked that twice already.

Any idea where this goes wrong?

Thanks again,

gaseous.
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
But for some reason or other, when I import mp3s to calibre, I only get metadata stuff from the filename (which is. title - artist (writer)) instead of it being read from the mp3 tags (which are within the mp3 files in full glory) - which means no series, no series index, etc.

The 'Read information from tags rather than from filename' option is definitely checked/switched on, checked that twice already.
Might be because calibre's metadata reader is designed to read metadata from book formats. I may be wrong but I think the best you can do is reading metadata from filename and input the rest manually.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #20
gaseous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Chisholm View Post
MP3 files have some metadata internally in ID3 tags. These are extracted and used to populate the metadata for the book as it is added to Calibre. A slightly massaged version of eyeD3-0.6.17 is used to parse these files.
I was referring to the feature list from the starting post of this thread, which states that the tags should be read, no?
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I was referring to the feature list from the starting post of this thread, which states that the tags should be read, no?
I guess I was a little slow, if you just installed the plugin make sure you restart calibre (Ctrl-R).
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #22
gaseous

I only posted my question after having tried several files and also having restarted calibre at least 3 times after installing the plugin
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Meta tags import not quite right

Hi,

Firstly let me thank you for developing this plug-in, and then may I ask for a little help.

I have three audiobook files making up an audiobook (Lords of the North), and I have checked the tags using mp3tag. Unfortunately when I import, the results are not what I expect.

The attached screenshot illustrates the issue.

I can understand the guesswork involved in setting the Series - but why wasn't the Album meta taken, which would have been a more logical choice for me?

I can't understand how the Author was set up. In this case it was provided in the meta tag, but appears instead to have been "derived" by the plug-in.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure if setting the cover image is meant to be done by the plug-in, but this also did not work.

FYI "The Pale Horseman" is a set that I manually set up after importing into Calibre.

Any advice will be appreciated, and do let me know if there is any way that I can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.331.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	84510  
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast
Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.Jesse Chisholm actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Wyndham,
Can you create a 30 second clip of one of these failing files to send me for testing?
Perhaps a tool like Audacity? depends on format.

re: Album as Series - That is exactly the tag field I use to set the series.

re: metadata coming from file name - the plugin does that as the last ditch effort to get something when it can't get the metadata from the tags. I do my best to recognize the most common file naming conventions, but I might get the pattern wrong.

The real question is: Why isn't it getting the tags? And to learn that I need to dissect a file that the plugin fails on. Preferably a small file. ;-)

-Jesse
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
gaseous

done just that. will send it to you via private message.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast

BUG FOUND! (: and fixed

The one @gaseous reported about his Ring Tone files not using the internal metadata, but only paring the file name.

The cause of the bug was that the "Track Number" metadata was not set in the ring tone file. One line in my code assumed it had a value other than Python's None.
This caused an exception to be thrown, which the fallback code interpreted as a need to parse the file name.

Version 1.0.79 is now posted with this fix.

-Jesse
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
horusofoz
horusofoz began at the beginning.

Device: Smartphone
?

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your explanation but is there a way with your plugin to manage Audiobooks from Calibre that does not involve bundling Chapter MP3s together as parts of a series?

I ask as for many of my audiobooks I have the text counterparts and they are all set in series's for quick selection. To then have eac book then additionally listed another series would remove the series selection functionality.
horusofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
Jesse Chisholm
Enthusiast

@horusofoz - I'll try to answer your questions as far as how this plug-in currently works. If there is a reasonable way I can extend it to do what you want, I am not against extending the plug-in. First the current behavior:

re: manage audio books without making them part of a series
Calibre is designed so that one file == one book. The problem with Audio Books is that typically Many files == One book. There seems no reasonable way to change this concept in Calibre - it would make things unnecessarily complicated for every book that wasn't an audio book, I think. And make Calibre unnecessarily complicated to have two different and competing philosophies in its internals.

re: Are there other ways to "bundle" Audio Book Chapters besides the "Series" column.
Yes, there are two (and a half) other way I considered.
1: create a custom column for the "book" that the chapters belonged to.
2: merge all the MP3 files into a single MP3 file to give to calibre.
2.5: merge all the MP3 files into a ZIP file to give to calibre.

I didn't choose #1 because there is more work to creating a custom column, writing all the UI parts and tweaks to make using the custom column trivial, etc. It was simply easier for _me_ to use the series column, for which all was already written. ( At the time I hadn't thought about audio books also being part of a real series. )

I didn't choose #2 because it makes for one huge MP3 file, and that was a reason it was broken into chapters in the first place. It seemed a lot of work for no good benefit to glue them back together.

I didn't choose #2.5 because it seemed I didn't need to write a plugin at all if that was the route one was going to take. Calibre is perfectly capable of managing ZIP files, though it doesn't try to get metadata out of them.

re: OK, so what about when I have text and audio of the same book
I really have no good solution to this; though I am open to ideas.
What I do is keep my text books and audio books in separate libraries. I personally don't ever happen to work with both at the same time. ( I realize that might not work for your situation. )

re: what about the future?
I am current toying around with the idea of:
* a plugin (or tool) that converts a collection of audio book files into an EPUB file
This is essentially a fancy #2.5. A tiny HTML file is created presenting all the gathered metadata and linking to the various chapter files. All these files are "zipped" into an EPUB file, which Calibre already knows how to handle.
I was thinking of using a different extension than EPUB even though the structure is identical just so Calibre would let you put them both as alternate formats to the same "book".

* I am also awaiting to see what will really come from EPUB v3 file format which is capably of combining text and audio into the same EPUB file.
If that becomes usable in Calibre, then that might be a better format to "convert" audio books into.
(: and being naturally lazy, I don't want to write the converter twice.

If you have ideas that might be workable, we can discuss them.

-Jesse
Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #29
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi Jesse,

Apologies for not responding sooner - I've not been well.

Here is a short clip from the book I highlighted in the screenshot.

Please do let me know if I can help in any way. I'm feeling a lot better now and promise to reply a lot sooner if you want anything from me
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lords of the North - partial.zip (6.43 MB, 529 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
Wyndham
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Chisholm View Post

2: merge all the MP3 files into a single MP3 file to give to calibre.
2.5: merge all the MP3 files into a ZIP file to give to calibre.

I didn't choose #2 because it makes for one huge MP3 file, and that was a reason it was broken into chapters in the first place. It seemed a lot of work for no good benefit to glue them back together.

I didn't choose #2.5 because it seemed I didn't need to write a plugin at all if that was the route one was going to take. Calibre is perfectly capable of managing ZIP files, though it doesn't try to get metadata out of them.

-Jesse
As someone who listens to a lot of audiobooks, I thought I'd chip in.

1) Audiobooks need to be split when they get too large because of limitations in the smartphones. I usually split my books when generating audiobooks from a collection of mp3s, into 4-5 hour chunks. Anything larger than that may not work properly. They will play in iTunes but not on the mobile device. (Or, they play - you can see progression - but there is no sound).

2) If you store audiobooks in Calibre, then creating a 'new' combined audiobook purely for library management purposes would seem to be wasteful. (I wasn't sure if this is what you meant Jesse by points 2 and 2.5).

The attached screenshot shows how I currently manage audiobooks in Calibre. I tried both ways as shown in the screenshot, but then settled on the Twilight version - hope that makes sense. I just have to check in iTunes if necessary that the different parts of the audiobook appear as one book - actually an album.

I keep my audiobooks in a separate library from eBooks, partly for purely library management reasons, but also because my eBooks are on DropBox and the audiobooks would take too much space.

If I have a revelation, I will be sure to come back here and share
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.422.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	89080  

Tags
audio, audiobook, metadata, reader