Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Dang-it! I made a boo-boo. It's not angular speed that contributes to orbital velocity - that is a constant for the earth - it is the surface velocity derived from the angular speed which is greatest at the equator...

[/geek]
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Dang-it! I made a boo-boo. It's not angular speed that contributes to orbital velocity - that is a constant for the earth - it is the surface velocity derived from the angular speed which is greatest at the equator...

[/geek]
Darn, were you speaking to me? ;-) What was that, again?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #18
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Yes, that would certainly work. Since Sigil has the ability to generate a new UUID it would be really nice to have a button, or switch to activate that functionality...opening/copying/pasting/closing is sooooo '80's
I am not sure we must ask Sigil to do everything, and anyway what do we do before it is implemented?

I wrote an AHK_L script that does automatically the following (among other things) :

1. Unzip an epub
2. Create an uuid (AHK_L program)
3. Change the uuid in OPF
4. Update the NCX with new uuid
5. zip the epub

The reason I do that is because I use the new epub file to create a mobi with Kindlegen. I do want to have a different uuid for epub and mobi.

Conclusion: I suggest people here to google ahk_L. You can do amazing things with it, even if you are not a SW developer (my case). It is so easy to take the control of your design flow.

Systemize the routine, humanize the exception.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
I am not sure we must ask Sigil to do everything, and anyway what do we do before it is implemented?

I wrote an AHK_L script that does automatically the following (among other things) :

1. Unzip an epub
2. Create an uuid (AHK_L program)
3. Change the uuid in OPF
4. Update the NCX with new uuid
5. zip the epub

The reason I do that is because I use the new epub file to create a mobi with Kindlegen. I do want to have a different uuid for epub and mobi.

Conclusion: I suggest people here to google ahk_L. You can do amazing things with it, even if you are not a SW developer (my case). It is so easy to take the control of your design flow.

Systemize the routine, humanize the exception.
Well, that's great if you're using an UUID generator, for whatever reason you're doing it, but as there isn't an centralized repository of UUID's, and no one is using them, I'm not sure I understand why anyone would go to all the trouble. As you have hundreds of books, I suppose I can understand why you'd create your own, but not even Amazon, Nook, etc., are using UUID's. That's why there is always this dead silence to the questions about UUID's; it's all well and good, except: nobody is using them. At best, retailers are using ISBN's, as are libraries.

For us, if someone asks us to embed an UUID--and in 2,000 books, we've never been asked--fine. But in the interim, I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of creating a random number generator just to slap an unused identifier in an ePUB, myself, and certainly not for MOBI. It's unique (the old, one-in-17-trillion argument, or whatever) and usable only to the person who creates it. If you use them for your directories, for a naming schema, I can see it making sense, but in a commercial environment, it's really extraneous. There's plenty to do in making ePUBs, at least at my shop, without adding additional steps that aren't needed or used for commercial books. I don't think I recall anyone else ever saying, here, that they'd used UUID's. Anyone else recall someone using them?

Hitch
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #20
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Hitch, as far as I know you need different ISBN for mobi and epub. Intuitively, I deduce that I must apply the same rules for uuid and I know that anyway Amazon will assign its own ASIN.

Now, as you can see from my karma, I am the new kid in the block and need some years to reach your level of experience. However, I bring a different a new perspective to the same old problem (ebook design). I don't know how uuid will be used in the future and it takes me 0 effort to do it this way (it is done automatically) and I think anyway it is a good practice just in case I will need to modify 100 eBooks later on. Here we have obviously a difference in interests.

But in my mind this was not the most important topic in my post. I would like to use Sigil for what it is, a wonderful graphical ePub editor and implement all the rest outside. At least I express my opinion here.

I was trying also to give a solution to the "is sooooo '80's"
Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
abeonis
eBook DIYer

BTW, I am curious, is this community populated exclusively by service companies or there are also some DIYers? Often, interests do not converge.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Hitch, as far as I know you need different ISBN for mobi and epub. Intuitively, I deduce that I must apply the same rules for uuid and I know that anyway Amazon will assign its own ASIN.

Now, as you can see from my karma, I am the new kid in the block and need some years to reach your level of experience. However, I bring a different a new perspective to the same old problem (ebook design). I don't know how uuid will be used in the future and it takes me 0 effort to do it this way (it is done automatically) and I think anyway it is a good practice just in case I will need to modify 100 eBooks later on. Here we have obviously a difference in interests.

But in my mind this was not the most important topic in my post. I would like to use Sigil for what it is, a wonderful graphical ePub editor and implement all the rest outside. At least I express my opinion here.

abeonis:

I wrote a reply, and decided, particularly after re-reading the "new perspective" line, not to bother. Good luck.

Hitch
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 AM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
BTW, I am curious, is this community populated exclusively by service companies or there are also some DIYers? Often, interests do not converge.
Most are DIYers in various states of expertise. We are also lucky that we have some professionals amongst ourselves. Most of the times we work together extremely well, since we have the same interest of creating good quality e-books.

What we do not like, are service companies that accept a paid assignment and then ask us to solve their problems. We have had our share of that in the past already.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #24
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
What we do not like, are service companies that accept a paid assignment and then ask us to solve their problems. We have had our share of that in the past already.
I am not sure whether this is directed to me or not. In any case, I am not a service company and I appreciate help from professionals too. This doesn't mean I have to say amen to everything.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. I have a very dry/quirky sense of humor. I wasn't trying to denigrate your solution in any way, other than to say going through all those steps to perform a function reminds me of the early days of computers when we had all these "work arounds" because software had only basic functionality.
Sigil HAS the ability to generate a UUID because it does it when opening a new document. It would be nice to have a button/option that said "Regenerate UUID" in the metadata editor.

I don't know who does (other than epubreader), or does not use the UUID (I've only created/cleaned personal books)...or what purpose the UUID will be put to in the future...but the spec requires a "unique" ID, so I try and put one in there.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Don't worry Turtle91, my level of paranoia largely support your sense of humor. I was just trying to propose a solution and participate to the common effort. I will check what the spec says about the unique ID. This spec should be somewhere.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Don't worry Turtle91, my level of paranoia largely support your sense of humor. I was just trying to propose a solution and participate to the common effort. I will check what the spec says about the unique ID. This spec should be somewhere.
http://idpf.org/epub/201
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I am not sure whether this is directed to me or not. In any case, I am not a service company and I appreciate help from professionals too. This doesn't mean I have to say amen to everything.
It was not directed at you.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Thanks. So far I have been doing with what I read here and there. Sometimes contradictory information. Even if I hate reading everything like specs or terms and conditions, I have no choice. It is now the good moment. Grrr...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Don't worry. After familiarizing yourself with the specs, the only thing you have to worry about is learning which parts of the specs each of the various devices/apps chooses to ignore utterly or interpret differently.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uuid