Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #16
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the mean time, though, Amazon's low prices benefit everyone (in the UK, at least) given the extreme ease of buying a book with "Kindle for PC", removing the DRM, then using it either directly as a DRM-free Mobi file, or converting it to ePub.
In the meantime ? Trouble is, by the time the situation get really problematic and people reacts, it might be already too late.
Cheaper e-books now are not worth the price you might pay later.

And using azw would be a step backward for me. ePub can do so much more. I converted all my mobi to ePub, and I will NEVER do it the other way around.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
In the meantime ? Trouble is, by the time the situation get really problematic and people reacts, it might be already too late.
Cheaper e-books now are not worth the price you might pay later.
I think that any "portents of doom" are a little premature. Amazon want to sell Kindles. Having reasonable prices for eBooks is the best way that they can do that. There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that they would raise prices of their own accord. Publishers may force them to do so: that is an entirely different question.

Quote:
And using azw would be a step backward for me. ePub can do so much more. I converted all my mobi to ePub, and I will NEVER do it the other way around.
I don't think anyone's suggested that you do so. You are right: Mobi to ePub conversions generally work flawlessly; ePub to Mobi can cause problems if the ePub file contains things that Mobi doesn't support (drop-caps are one example).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that any "portents of doom" are a little premature. Amazon want to sell Kindles. Having reasonable prices for eBooks is the best way that they can do that.
True

Quote:
There is no reason whatsoever to suppose that they would raise prices of their own accord.
They are a company, their goal is money money money. Prise will be low only for as long as it serve their interest. (There, sell lots of kindle).
Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
They are a company, their goal is money money money. Prise will be low only for as long as it serve their interest. (There, sell lots of kindle).
I agree that what they are doing is "buying" market share, under the theory that once someone has a Kindle they have a long term customer and not just for ebooks. Amazon's ebook prices in the UK sound very low, but I have never been convinced that Amazon's $9.99 price point in the US actually lost money for Amazon when mixed in with less discounting of older titles and $30+ titles.

If Amazon actually is loosing money on UK ebooks, they may be hoping that the publishers will "go agency" and in the mean time they are discounting heavily so that they will have maximum market share when the big bad publishers throw them in the agency brier patch.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
anarcHy
anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook gen 3, Opus
Talking update

ok so Iam now

Just to give you an update guys, I went down the following route

1. I installed calibre (wow what a great piece of kit well impressed with it)
2. I updated my cybook to read epubs
3. Following various members on here's comments I did a serarch for Apprentice Alf's blog, and mobi drm issues followed the instructions to add a plugin to it ( it took a while but the techno idiot got there in the end)

4. I brought a new roll of electrical tape to put my cybook battery back together again

Going forward I think Iam going to try and buy epub files, but the prices amazon are selling at are really low, so Iam gonna look into how I can buy from amazon uk , and remove the drm problem, then import into my new best friend calibre.

so guys just to say

and

you have given my cybook another lease of life, there is life in the old girl yet
anarcHy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Going forward I think Iam going to try and buy epub files, but the prices amazon are selling at are really low, so Iam gonna look into how I can buy from amazon uk , and remove the drm problem, then import into my new best friend calibre.
Well, I would make et amazon / epub choice now.
If you mean to get a kindle, get kindle for pc to get book from amazon, de-drm them, and you have files the cybook can read with the mobi firmware.
Will spare you the mess of having to convert everything... again....
Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcHy View Post
Guys, I need help, It seems that a lot of the new books coming out are no longer doing mobi files. Which is what I download on my cybook gen 3. Does this mean Iam gonna have to get a new ebook reader, I know my cybook is held together with electrical tape (the battery screw fell out)
Bookeen was very good sending a replacement cover (I think the cover broke for me..). I just emailed them and had it in the post a week later or so.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
anarcHy
anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!anarcHy rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Well, I would make et amazon / epub choice now.
If you mean to get a kindle, get kindle for pc to get book from amazon, de-drm them, and you have files the cybook can read with the mobi firmware.
Will spare you the mess of having to convert everything... again....
Dont suppose anybody heard about an easy plugin to calibre for removing the amazon drm

Dont fancy trying to figure out python and command prompts, that may be beyond my ability
Old 09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Dont suppose anybody heard about an easy plugin to calibre for removing the amazon drm

Dont fancy trying to figure out python and command prompts, that may be beyond my ability
Never tried. But it's said to be very easy.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Apprentice Alf's Blog talks of a Calibre plugin for Kindle 4 PC, but I have not tried it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #26
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Great to hear it worked out for you.
Even if I´m a bit late on that subject, I would recommend you to keep all your ebooks in BOTH formats. For no particular reason, other than just playing safe. Doesn´t take much space, and Calibre does the work for you.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #27
anarcHy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Apprentice Alf's Blog talks of a Calibre plugin for Kindle 4 PC, but I have not tried it.
I have found it

and it works yaaaaaaaa

Crickey I would just like to say that Calibre, apprentice alf and the dark reverser are my favorite friends for the dummies way to get books in the formats I want them.

and many thanks to all you guys on this forum

Iam off now to read a popular book, which I purchased off Amazon for a really good price on my CYBOOK !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #28
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:

Quote:
Never tried. But it's said to be very easy.
Even I could manage it with instructions found on Google, so it can't be THAT bad.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #29
peterbrian
peterbrian began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
We have had two CyBook Gen3's since they first came out, and we still use them everyday, and both still work perfectly. The disappearance of mobipocket causes us concern as well. Reading this thread should give us everything we need to move to ePub for our books in future.

However, we also use our CyBooks as news readers, downloading RSS feeds to our readers every morning using MobiPocket software on our Windows Vista PC. We probably spend more time reading news than books, but we definitely want to do both. Is there an equivalent for managing RSS feeds for the Gen3 running the ePub firmware ? Keep in mind that we do this everyday, and want to make it easy to do. (Some setup complexity would be OK).

Thanks,

peterbrian
peterbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #30
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrian View Post
We have had two CyBook Gen3's since they first came out, and we still use them everyday, and both still work perfectly. The disappearance of mobipocket causes us concern as well. Reading this thread should give us everything we need to move to ePub for our books in future.

However, we also use our CyBooks as news readers, downloading RSS feeds to our readers every morning using MobiPocket software on our Windows Vista PC. We probably spend more time reading news than books, but we definitely want to do both. Is there an equivalent for managing RSS feeds for the Gen3 running the ePub firmware ? Keep in mind that we do this everyday, and want to make it easy to do. (Some setup complexity would be OK).

Thanks,

peterbrian
Can't calibre fetch rss feeds ?

Tags
gen 3, mobi