Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Bookshelf for Ipad

Thanks to Sischa's post in the Stanza thread

I used to read on stanza and bookshelf but with the latest update of the bookshelf app (epub and mobi support now works on 100% of my books, dropbox support and iPad update) i was able to give stanza the kick. So maybe you should just jump to bookshelf too and leave stanza behind.

bookshelf was 3.99 $ i think or around that ..

I have learnt of Bookshelf which I have not seen mentioned before in the ebook reader debate. I have downloaded it and it runs fine on my iphone but I wonder if others already with Ipads have tried it. At least it appears to have a developer working on it and I feel if the ipad version continues to develope could be a good reader, Admittedly its not free but one gets a developing application and a concerned person for that, unlike the Amazons that can kill a Stanza.

This is particularly useful for us outside of the USA who do not know if and when Ibooks may be available and need an alternative to read existing nonDRM Epubs.
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
maxlawbr
maxlawbr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 700
I use iBooks with nonDRM Epubs, it works very well.
maxlawbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
There is a BookShelf free version with AD but I'm using pay one.

I'm using it for MOBI, FB2 and PDB and works well but in a iPad screen is too width. Developer has told me that he is going to release a margin adjustable version soon.

http://www.iphonebookshelf.com/forum/read.php?7,1316
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Does anyone know if this works with Calibre-Server like Stanza does?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does Bookshelf support embedded fonts for ePub?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Does anyone know if this works with Calibre-Server like Stanza does?
If i understand you correct i would say yes it does. And it also works directly with clouds i.e. the dropbox with easy setup-
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder why it gets such poor reviews. Maybe it's the bad CHM support, which all the tech people like?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
astrodad
Guru

Just downloaded the app and loaded some books from Dropbox. Here are my initial impressions after only two minutes with it:

- slow
- I CANNOT get used to the scrolling. I like seeing "pages" and the scrolling is disruptive to me.
- Can't change font size quickly. You have to go into the options menu to change the font
- The background for night time switching does not take affect when you tap the button to switch from day/night. You have to go back to the book list and reselect the book.
- Rendering seems decent. It has the best rendering that I've seen on the iPhone. Books that ordinarily give me problems in Stanza (ePUB) look beautiful.

I REALLY like the direct integration with Calibre in Stanza and Stanza has a much better UI. But I'm afraid that Stanza will not be updated much in the future and they will probably not release an iPad version, which is important to me since I am planning on buying one.

So this may be a viable option if they could address some of my initial concerns. I'll use it for a while and see how it goes.

Quote:
Does Bookshelf support embedded fonts for ePub?
Can you point me to an example so I can test it for you?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Try this one.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
- I CANNOT get used to the scrolling. I like seeing "pages" and the scrolling is disruptive to me.
The big advantage of scrolling is the auto-scroll feature. Since i get used to scrolling i really LOVE and NEED that feature now

Quote:
I REALLY like the direct integration with Calibre in Stanza and Stanza has a much better UI. But I'm afraid that Stanza will not be updated much in the future and they will probably not release an iPad version, which is important to me since I am planning on buying one.
Did you try to setup a Bookmarked shelve? You'll just have to add the Calibre Server URL and you have the same feature like in Stanza i think.

I use calibre2opds with the same catalog.html in bookshelf like in stanza in the past.

Last edited by Sischa; 04-22-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
The big advantage of scrolling is the auto-scroll feature. Since i get used to scrolling i really LOVE and NEED that feature now

Did you try to setup a Bookmarked shelve? You'll just have to add the Calibre Server URL and you have the same feature like in Stanza i think.

I use calibre2opds with the same catalog.html in bookshelf like in stanza in the past.
I have never really tried the auto-scroll feature but I'll give it a shot tonight.

Bookshelf finds the calibre server running via Bonjour but all I get when I select it is a spinning ball of frustration that says "Loading Catalog" which goes away without loading any of the books.

Then I tried specifying the URL directly and it does pretty much the same thing. I can get to this URL fine and the calibre-server log shows no errors.

I'm now trying to get their ShelfServer working in a headless environment using Tomcat but that seems to break as well.

Why is everything SO DIFFICULT?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
jplumey, have you tried the ePub of Three Men in a Boat to see if embedded fonts work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
astrodad
Guru

Here are the results from Bookshelf. I have the standard font set to Georgia.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Bookshelf finds the calibre server running via Bonjour but all I get when I select it is a spinning ball of frustration that says "Loading Catalog" which goes away without loading any of the books.

Then I tried specifying the URL directly and it does pretty much the same thing. I can get to this URL fine and the calibre-server log shows no errors.
Try entering the calibre-server URL followed by /stanza. That will point to the stanza XML version (OPDS) which works in Bookshelf.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
Try entering the calibre-server URL followed by /stanza. That will point to the stanza XML version (OPDS) which works in Bookshelf.
It appears that Bookshelf cannot handle the HTTP authentication used by calibre. I ran the server without the authentication and it does work, although it has crashed twice. That's not an acceptable solution but maybe they'll fix it.

And I don't understand why their full screen mode still leaves status bar up at top.