Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
stygian
stygian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, sony prs-600 (prospective)
Sony PRS-600 and live footnotes

I would like to read the Peavar and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace by Tolstoy, which is available at the Sony ebook store. A large portion of the book is in French, and I will have to consult the footnotes in this particular translation. On the Kindle, it would be painful to browse with the 5-way control for the footnotes, often multiple times per page. For the Sony PRS-600, does one simply click with a finger or the stylus on the footnote? And is the process fairly painless?
stygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
If there's a link, then yes. You can easily go back to last page by using History.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
As long as the book is formatted properly--that's how it!d work.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
FlyFree
Bookworm
FlyFree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I find the footnotes to be very easy - just one click with stylus will display the footnote. I was bit confused how to get back to the main body of text - but History takes you back. This involves THREE clicks though! One click forward - three clicks back.

In the books I have purchased , footnotes are functional. But I wonder about Word documents and other formats that you would upload yourself....wonder is those footnotes would function properly....?
FlyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Yes! I'd totally kill for a way to go back from a footnote to where I left off without having to do options>history>tap left button>close history. It's killing me while reading Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball, where he's got like 3 footnotes per screen. I could live with it if I could leave the History mode turned on and still click on footnotes, but footnotes won't work until I turn the history off. Guess I'll make that a feature request to Sony.

Actually what I'd really rather have is a gesture for history. Like swiping up to go back a page in history, that'd be my best option.

Last edited by Bitgod; 01-13-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Count yourself lucky that the Reader has a "history" facility at all. Many devices don't!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony prs-600, tolstoy, war and peace