Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Comments on Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay?

I am almost finished reading the first book in the Dexter series, which I found on Fictionwise. I really, really like it. I have heard book 2 is pretty good but book 3 is terrible. What do you think, is it worth getting the other two, or should I go on the waiting list at the library instead of buying them myself?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I have no idea, sorry about that. I'm just replying because I follow the Dexter tv series, which are really excelent. I don't know if it follows exactly the books, though.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
jav
jav began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I would probably agree with that summation of the Dexter books. I really enjoyed the first one, but midway through the second, Linsday's style began to grate on me particularly his frequent use of alliteration. Still I thought it was pretty good. The third however, I found to be much weaker. The book takes an, IMO, strange turn with book 3, involving a kind of supernatural/mystical element, that I didn't care for, though I found the other aspects of the plot engaging enough.

I do wonder a bit how much the TV series is influencing my opinion as I find it to be much better. I read the first two books shortly before the second TV season started, at which point the two series diverge pretty sharply (well really they start to diverge near the end of the first book/season). So I went into the third book preferring the plot choices taken by the TV writers over those taken by Lindsay, which may explain some of my dislike of the last book.

But if you enjoyed the first book you would probably like the second well enough to to be worth getting. I would probably recommend seeing how you like that one before deciding on whether to buy the third or get it from the library.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've just finished the first Dexter book, and have the other two on my Wish List at Fictionwise. I also just watched the first season (thanks, NetFlix!)

My take on books two and three would be to wait for the library. Mostly because the Dexter series is quite pricey on Fictionwise (~$15 per book, if I remember correctly), and I don't honestly think the quality of writing commands that price. Just as a side note, I like the Showtime series much more than the books (which is a rarity for me).
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks, everyone. The first was was cheaper than $15 but the second one is a little pricey. I'll wait for the library
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Unfortunately, only books 2 and 3 are available for download from my local library. I did look up the author on wikipedia and noticed there is supposed to be a 4th book released next year called 'Dexter by Design'.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've read all three, and while I agree that they aren't worth the $15 a pop price at fictionwise, they're quite entertaining. If you can get them cheaper, or from your library, I would totally recommend them.

The third book does include a weird supernatural twist, and I really don't think is all that great, but I still enjoyed it. One notable change from the TV series, is that the kids (Astor and Cody), are featured much more, and in a way I doubt the TV show ever will.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I'll just chime in to ditto everyone else. Book 1 was OK, although after watching season 1 of the series it kind of felt like the inferior abriged version of the same story.

Without looking it up I couldn't tell you a thing about the plot of the second book. I liked it well enough at the time, but apparently it was fairly forgetable.

The third book took an odd twist, that I don't think worked very well. If a fourth book came out I'd probably buy it, but I'd wait until the paperback version.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote