Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Rethakul
Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook
Post the obnoxious librarian - satire book

Hello all,

just joined the forum as every Google search about e-book readers seems to end here... I have been reading e-books since I got my first PDA in 2003, but since I've got my Cybook I am really into it.

For those of you that like the Dilbert type humor or still remember the "b*stard operator from hell" series, I would like to share my free book with you:

The book is the collection of stories of a librarian trapped in a large bureaucracy, trying to survive endless meetings, l-users (library users) and clueless managers.

Here a little abstract to give you a taste:

"The one where Kevin ruins my day

It is Monday morning, 9 am in the library and the phone rings. This is a nuisance. I am just in the middle of re-writing the Dewey entry on Wikipedia (the entry now goes straight to an entry about an obscure American philosopher named John Dewey, but of course it should point straight to Melvil Dewey) and now I have completely lost my train of thought. I let the phone ring three times as I don’t want my “customers” (I am no longer allowed to call them l-users, which is short for library users) think I have nothing better to do than answering their endless, irrelevant questions.

“Library” (with the proper curt tone in my voice)
“Hello, this is Kevin from sales. I cannot get access to the Wall Street Journal Online”
“Yes?”
“Well, I need to look up some stats for a presentation by the vice president before 10, so I need you to restore my access quickly”.

I always hate it when people try to make their problem mine. To make sure our Wall Street Journal access is completely secure, I change the password every 3 days and then post it clearly on the intranet webpage for everyone to see. Well, if they know how to find the page, as it is actually not linked from anywhere. And I use a white font on a white background. But for a real motivated user that should not be a problem, I think. "

You can download the whole book via Feedbooks in a variety of formats.

I am interested to hear your feedback, and if you like it, you can get the bi-weekly updates via the blog.

- Dennie Heye
Rethakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ha ! that looks hilarious, and in fact your book has already been recommended by someone here. i will definitely take a look, thank you for sharing it.

welcome to the forum ! although you're clearly a veteran, it's always possible you might learn a tip or two around here, and in the meantime there is plenty of sparkling wit and erudite discussion (check the lounge) . tell us a bit about yourself. what do you like to read ? i hope to see you joining in the discussion around here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It vaguely seems like a mainstreamization of BOFH.

Would others agree?

Never mind. I should have read the first post. Zelda distracted me.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Rethakul
Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rethakul has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

BOFH was a big source of inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

Would others agree?

- Ahi
Yes, BOFH wsas a source of inspiration. I remember laughing out loud in the university library way back in '94 when I first discovered it via Usenet. I was shushed ;-)

I started to write these stories as a way to share my anecdotes. A large part of the episodes is based on true (frustrating) experiences. And writing is cheaper then therapy.

- Dennie
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Rethakul

Glad to be here - perhaps I can be of help in other forums with regards to the Cybook. I cannot say I have too much problems with it, only once in a while it will freeze. But a simple reset does the trick.

I will subscribe to the new book upload feed although I fear I will start collecting even more e-books to read. So far I have enjoyed collecting books via Feedbooks amongst others.

I will leave on holiday for three weeks on Monday and I am bringing with me on holiday:
- the complete Artemis Fowl series
- Anathem - Neal Stephenson (I have read good reviews, but I am not that much into sci-fi, so this will be a first)
- a number of Cory Doctorow books
- Legacy of Ashes - Tim Weiner

So a mixed bag there, but I like to have choice and not having to carry that extra suitcase full of books -)

- Dennie
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Would others agree?

- Ahi
sorry about that. i'll try to be less fascinating in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethakul View Post
Yes, BOFH wsas a source of inspiration. I remember laughing out loud in the university library way back in '94 when I first discovered it via Usenet. I was shushed ;-)
(damned obnoxious librarians ! )

Quote:
I started to write these stories as a way to share my anecdotes. A large part of the episodes is based on true (frustrating) experiences. And writing is cheaper then therapy.

- Dennie
seems like a good plan to me.

Quote:
Glad to be here - perhaps I can be of help in other forums with regards to the Cybook. I cannot say I have too much problems with it, only once in a while it will freeze. But a simple reset does the trick.

I will subscribe to the new book upload feed although I fear I will start collecting even more e-books to read. So far I have enjoyed collecting books via Feedbooks amongst others.

I will leave on holiday for three weeks on Monday and I am bringing with me on holiday:
- Anathem - Neal Stephenson (I have read good reviews, but I am not that much into sci-fi, so this will be a first)
- a number of Cory Doctorow books
- Legacy of Ashes - Tim Weiner

So a mixed bag there, but I like to have choice and not having to carry that extra suitcase full of books -)

- Dennie
oh, i know, isn't it glorious having so many books in such a tiny package ? even without thinking of holidays i never get over that delight.

i should warn you that the "new books" feed will be dangerous to your "to read" list. i knows whereof i speaks. then again, this whole forum is like crack for readerly types, so... you're done for, basically. "resistance is futile", and all that. ironically, we come here because we love to read, and it ends up eating terribly into our reading time. such a sweet addiction though...
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
sorry about that. i'll try to be less fascinating in future.
That won't help. It was your je ne sais quoi, I tells ya!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
That won't help. It was your je ne sais quoi, I tells ya!

- Ahi
oh well, i don't think i can do anything about that then. you'll just have to make an effort at fortitude.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Rethakul, I'm so glad you're here!

I recommended your book in the 'please help me laugh' thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51165 and I left a review at Feedbooks.

I love this book! I always laugh out loud when I'm reading it. I load it up and read it when I feel like reading something funny. Some chapters I've read several times because they're so funny! Last time I read it, a couple of weeks ago, it was in a single (long) sitting and it made for a very late night.

I've been following your blog for months and I've referred several of my librarian, IT and helpdesk friends to it.

Welcome!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #10
Rethakul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Rethakul, I'm so glad you're here!

I recommended your book in the 'please help me laugh' thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51165 and I left a review at Feedbooks.

I love this book! I always laugh out loud when I'm reading it. I load it up and read it when I feel like reading something funny. Some chapters I've read several times because they're so funny! Last time I read it, a couple of weeks ago, it was in a single (long) sitting and it made for a very late night.

I've been following your blog for months and I've referred several of my librarian, IT and helpdesk friends to it.

Welcome!
Hi cbell,

glad to be here - if there were a bar here, we'd be all set ;-)

Thanks for recommending the book. I have just added the last year of episodes to the Feedbooks book, so it has 2x the content now. As I will be going on holiday as of Monday, posting will be light for the next 3 weeks. The Swiss chalet appartment we rented does not have wifi (although the brochure proudly boasts "a modem port").
So I will be back late August and then also start a new weblog, inspired by "The meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams.

I will see you around,

Dennie
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

right, it was cbell who recommended the book ! i knew i'd seen a recommendation recently.

Quote:
Hi cbell,

glad to be here - if there were a bar here, we'd be all set ;-)

Thanks for recommending the book. I have just added the last year of episodes to the Feedbooks book, so it has 2x the content now. As I will be going on holiday as of Monday, posting will be light for the next 3 weeks. The Swiss chalet appartment we rented does not have wifi (although the brochure proudly boasts "a modem port").
So I will be back late August and then also start a new weblog, inspired by "The meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams.

I will see you around,

Dennie
you're right that this place is missing a bar. but we do have some very friendly members who will offer you a drink. zany carters all around ? fasten your seatbelts, i'll call adrian.

i'll be looking forward to your new weblog, that sounds like a lot of fun. let us know when it's up !

and have a nice holiday out there in the uncivilised wilderness.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Welcome!!!

eBooks are so addicting! Especially when you start to hoard so many books that it stresses you out 'cause you can't read them fast enough!!!

Quote:
- Dennie
I've quite surprisingly enjoyed the Aremis Fowl series; it's rather light reading, but quite enjoyable nonetheless...

Enjoy your vacation!
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Welcome to MobileRead

And great intro from what I read the story was amusing. I'll have do download your book now

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
3 weeks without wifi! I don't know that I could survive that...

Enjoy your holiday, Dennie! Europeans have such wonderful holiday destinations.

I'm heading over to Feedbooks now for the updated version (I love Feedbooks) and I look forward to your weblog.

Edit: I see you've posted different versions of your book here at MR, too!

Last edited by cbell; 07-24-2009 at 07:56 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor, library, satire