Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Cannot decide, please help...

Hello,
I've been researching ebook readers for two weeks now. Frankly, I feel like none of them can do what I'd like of them. Since this will be my first reader, my biggest goal is to get a device that will do everything it's meant for - well, such as read many different formats, be easy on the eyes and comfortable, and be good on the technology side of things as well. I do not want to spend $400+ only to have to upgrade again in a year. So, here is what I've found so far and perhaps those of you who are much more experienced in the world of reading devices can help this newbie make up her mind.

I like the idea of E-ink, as my research has taught me it's as close to reading a real book as you can get. However, I like to read in the dark sometimes, so having a light of some sort would be useful without waking my husband or children.

I've currently been reading secure Microsoft Reader ebooks from my PDA phone, but the screen is too small. I'd like a screen that is at least 6 inches and I would like a device that can load my current (albeit small) library of secure .LIT books. Converting them - if possible - is obviously a consideration.

Lastly, I want to be able to shop wherever I want to purchase ebooks. I don't like the idea of a Kindle only because they boast the need to shop only at Amazon for ebooks. No thanks. I use Fictionwise quite a bit, but I also use a lot of free PDF ebooks.

So, bottom line, I want the best bang for my buck. I'd like to stick to around the $400 range. Any suggestions?
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There isn't any solution that can read secure .LIT eBooks at the moment. It is possible to break the DRM but this may be illegal where you live, and after it is broken you will likely want to convert it to another format. Only the Hanlin as lit support and it is not robust yet. A netbook like the ASUS eee PC 1000HA will do what you want but it is not e-INK.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
However, I like to read in the dark sometimes, so having a light of some sort would be useful without waking my husband or children.
If you have been doing research then you know that only the Sony PRS700 have a built in light (eink devices). Also, there is the Wedge Light cover for the PRS505.

However, you can pretty much use any of those clip-on book lights. If you have used one for a book you should be ok with it. If you haven't, how do you read a pbook in the dark?

Quote:
I'd like a screen that is at least 6 inches and I would like a device that can load my current (albeit small) library of secure .LIT books. Converting them - if possible - is obviously a consideration.
If you are willing to convert then pretty much any reader will work for you. There are tools to convert LIT to mobi and BBeB which means any of the current 6inch devices will meet this need.

Quote:
I don't like the idea of a Kindle only because they boast the need to shop only at Amazon for ebooks. No thanks.
Because they "boast it" or you believe it? You can buy ebooks for your Kindle pretty much anywhere also. You may need to do some deDRMing and/or converting though. However, currently you can buy overdrive encrypted eboosk from booksonboard.com using your KindlePID (derived from the s/n using a freely available script) and then running KindleFIX (another freely available script) on this. Once that is done the book is still DRM protected. Of course, just running deDRM on the ebooks is much easier and future proofs your purchases.

Quote:
I use Fictionwise quite a bit, but I also use a lot of free PDF ebooks.
As I said above, not a problem. Although you may want to convert your PDF books. Of course, this depends on the type of content in the PDF. See the hundreds of PDF threads here.

Quote:
So, bottom line, I want the best bang for my buck. I'd like to stick to around the $400 range. Any suggestions?
I would suggest in my order of preference:

Kindle
Sony 505/700 (which of these is a whole other topic. But the 700 is superior for PDFs.)
EZReader/BeBook
CyBook

I put CyBook at the bottom not due to its features or capabilities but due to the very poor customer service. (Poor relative to Amazon and Sony.)

Hth,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I put CyBook at the bottom not due to its features or capabilities but due to the very poor customer service. (Poor relative to Amazon and Sony.)
Really? What poor service have you experienced from Bookeen, Bob? They've always been prompt and courteous in responding to my questions, and I would not hestitate to recommend them on the grounds of customer service.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Really? What poor service have you experienced from Bookeen, Bob? They've always been prompt and courteous in responding to my questions, and I would not hestitate to recommend them on the grounds of customer service.
I must say it is anecdotal based on what I have read here. Also, the upgrades seem to be few and far between and they have over promised and undelivered on updates. Also, the fact that in the US any repair work needed, even if it is under warranty requires round tripping the device to France. Disclaimer, I don't own one nor have I ever requested service.

That said. I also expected to see a Kindle firmware by now. No new features have been added to the software since it was released. Then again, no new features were promised either.

BOb
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
kressg23
Enthusiast

Thanks very much for your responses so far.

To Bob - thanks for your comments. I'd like to avoid doing a whole lot of converting unless absolutely necessary. It sort of defeats the purpose of "convenient" if I have to do a lot of prep work rather than simply download and go. I have no problem with converting my current .LIT library if it is even possible, but thankfully, I don't have all that many books and it wouldn't be a huge investment for me if I had to repurchase them in a different format. This is my reason for wanting a device that works with many formats.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must respectfully disagree, I'm afraid, Bob. No, firmware upgrades haven't added many new features, but why would one expect new features? I buy a device based on what it will do now, not on what it may do in the future.

What the Gen3's firmware upgrades (of which there have been 3 or 4 in the course of a year, which I don't personally think is too awful) is fix pretty much all the bugs which have been reported.

There is another firmware update due "early this year" which probably will add some new functionality.

I still feel personally that the CyBook has the best MobiPocket implementation of any eInk device, epecially in terms of dictionary lookup which, for me personally is very important feature.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
No EInk readers support Secure LIT today.

However, LIT is the most popular format for folks who routinely strip DRM and format shift their ebooks. So if you don't mind stripping DRM ("ConvertLIT GUI"), LIT is a good choice. This is probably illegal in some places, but it is hard to see who is hurt by stripping DRM for personal use.

DRM-free LIT format shifts very well to MOBI (explode via ConvertLIT and pass the .opf metafile to MobiPocket Creator) and to ePub or LRF (Calibre). Which means that all current EInk devices are then in play.

For DRM-free PDFs (formatted for letter or A4 pages), there are no completely satisfactory solutions among devices with an EInk 6" screen. The PRS-505 and (even better) PRS-700 can reflow them to fit the screen size (PRS-700 also zooms), but other devices typically zoom in on partial pages. Or you can externally reflow them and format shift to ePub/LRF or MOBI. If they are "simple" PDFs, reflowing will work well otherwise it probably won't.

The PRS-700 is the first of the "next generation" of EInk devices, and so might be an obvious choice if you want to keep the device for a long time. It is an improvement in nearly every way over the PRS-505 except that the screen is less clear and is more glare prone (due to the light and touch screen).

Probably all the other major vendors will come out with new 6" devices this spring. I don't normally recommend waiting, but if the PRS-700 isn't for you then you may want to wait for the EZ Reader Pro (Hanlin V3 follow-on) or one of the other new devices (Kindle 2, etcetera). Note that almost every deadline has been missed with EInk readers, so spring might become summer (that is the downside of waiting).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd like to avoid doing a whole lot of converting unless absolutely necessary. It sort of defeats the purpose of "convenient" if I have to do a lot of prep work rather than simply download and go.
I gotta tell you then... If you want "convenient" then you want Kindle. You can buy the books right from the device if you want to.. and they are downloaded instantly. Or, you can browse online, buy some books, then go to your Kindle and bam, they are there. Also, the Kindle store prices are usually as good or better than Sony and/or Fictionwise (even club member prices).

BOb
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I gotta tell you then... If you want "convenient" then you want Kindle. You can buy the books right from the device if you want to.. and they are downloaded instantly. Or, you can browse online, buy some books, then go to your Kindle and bam, they are there. Also, the Kindle store prices are usually as good or better than Sony and/or Fictionwise (even club member prices).

BOb
Agreed completely, with the important caveat ONLY IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed completely, with the important caveat ONLY IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA!
So true. But, since the Kindle was mentioned by the OP I assumed that is the case. (The case that he lived in the US.)

BOb
Old 01-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
kressg23
Enthusiast

Yes, I do live in US. My concern with Kindle is the PDF capability. Their website says conversion is only experimental at this time... perhaps the Kindle 2 will be better for that? However, I like the idea of the light on the Sony 700. If I'm suffering from insomnia, it's nice to just grab my small backlit PDA and read from it without leaving the comfort of my bed or flipping on the light.. however, already poor eyes makes reading from such a small screen difficult, which is why I'd like a bigger one.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I do live in US. My concern with Kindle is the PDF capability.
Well, there are several PDF converters members here have written. Personally I have never used the Kindle conversion service. But, others here have. They said it basically does a good job. But, it converts it to half pages in landscape.

Another great thing about the Kindle... 30 day return policy. Of course, the bad thing right now, they are back ordered.

BOb
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Kindle is pretty much the only device on the market with no PDF support, but it is a "problematic" format for most devices, given that PDF is a "page based" format, and virtually all PDF docs are formatted for an A4/Letter sized page. There's just no good way to display an A4 page on a screen 1/6th that size.

Of the 6" screen devices, the Sony does the best job with PDFs, in that it will attempt to "reflow" the page to fit the screen. How well this works depends on the document.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
kressg23
Enthusiast

I don't necessarily want to appear limited to only a 6 inch screen if there were a bigger one. I'd still like it to be a convenient size, but it appears that all of these devices are about the size of a paperback book, which is perfectly acceptable to me. From the responses here so far, it sounds like I need to narrow my search to Kindle and Sony. Reading reviews and watching demonstrations online point pros and cons toward either. Kindle users hate Sony and vice versa. I was curious about the BeBook, but since I live in the US, is this a good choice? Thanks again for all your comments, I very much appreciate and respect all of your opinions.