Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
MikeKing
College Student
MikeKing began at the beginning.

Device: none, but wanting to buy one ;)
Writing Notes

My question to the all of the PRS-700 owners is.. Can you write notes with the stylus on fresh pages? Similar to that of the iRex Iliad note taking feature.

Last edited by MikeKing; 11-20-2008 at 10:23 PM.
MikeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Adding comments...

You can add comments at a bookmark or hightlighted word/phrase by using the comment editor. If you tap the bookmark or highlighted word/phrase the comment editor will appear.

The comment inset screen is approximatedly 4.0 X 5.5 cm (approximately 36 characters accross and 8 rows down) with a QWERTY touchscreen keyboard below it which works with a finger but works even better with the stylus. Entry can be very quick if you know your keyboard.

The comments can be scrolled if your comments are more than will fit on one inset screen. There is a maximum of 2048 characters allowed per comment. (This may be a limit for some but, as of yet, I have never reached the max.)

You also have access to input special symbols, those similar on a regular keyboard.

I'm not familiar with the iRex Illad but I hope this helps.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-21-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
MikeKing
College Student

So I guess it doesn't do what I want it to. I'm thinking more along the lines as almost using it as a pad of paper to write notes on as well. iLiad has that feature, but the way Sony described the reader on their website it almost appeared theirs had that functionality as well. =/
Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I guess the answer is no. As far as I'm aware, comments have to be attached to a bookmark or highlighted note and are limited to 2048 characters.

No place to keep a separate "note pad" that is not associated with one of the above.

-----

This might be way out there, but you could create a document on your computer containing text that you could highlight and then add notes to. i.e.

Notes 1
Notes 2
Notes 3 ...

..or

Notes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
Reminder 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
ToDo List 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

Call this document "Notebook" and copy to reader as a book (and possibly create separate "Books" for Reminders and ToDo list).

Go to read your new "Notebook".
Comments could then be attached to each line or number in the book.
System keeps tracks of all notes and their dates.
Notes would have the title "Notes 1", "Notes 2", "Notes 3" etc., you couldn't change the note title, but the date it was written is displayed and might be enough of a clue to your note.

Not very pretty, but a possible work-around?

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-21-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Possible work-around
Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
ewiplayer
Enthusiast
ewiplayer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-700
Not to mention the (possibly) more critical point that you cannot write with the pen as you would with the Iliad. The notes are created with a keyboard-like interface, not by writing as if you were working on a pad of paper.
ewiplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

You're right, you must use the soft keyboard, and no way to handle anything handwritten or a signature.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-21-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This might be way out there, but you could create a document on your computer containing text that you could highlight and then add notes to. i.e.

Notes 1
Notes 2
Notes 3 ...

..or

Notes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
Reminder 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
ToDo List 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...

Call this document "Notebook" and copy to reader as a book (and possibly create separate "Books" for Reminders and ToDo list).

Go to read your new "Notebook".
Comments could then be attached to each line or number in the book.
System keeps tracks of all notes and their dates.
Notes would have the title "Notes 1", "Notes 2", "Notes 3" etc., you couldn't change the note title, but the date it was written is displayed and might be enough of a clue to your note.

Not very pretty, but a possible work-around?
that is a very good idea !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

An afterthought

If you prefixed your booknames, i.e.

AA Notes, AA Reminders, AA Todo...

All of your private "notepads" would be at the top of your booklist, or an alternative:

My Notes:Notes
My Notes:Reminders
My Notes:To do list

Or any other previx to your liking, would also group your "notepads" together in the alphabetical book listing.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
MikeKing
College Student

Its to bad they don't have an SDK. I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to implement
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKing View Post
Its to bad they don't have an SDK. I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to implement
An SDK from SONY is not very likely if you know their history.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Not to mention that it's always harder than you think to design/build such a thing... looks simple... it's not I'm a software developer/architect and, well... I never say "it's simple" anymore. Too many times have I been burned after saying that
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
MikeKing
College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
Not to mention that it's always harder than you think to design/build such a thing... looks simple... it's not I'm a software developer/architect and, well... I never say "it's simple" anymore. Too many times have I been burned after saying that
As am I, but to the best of my knowledge about the device it uses a standard Linux O/S. Seriously, how hard could it be to implement something as simple as a paintbrush utility. It appears the reader already has the capability of write abilities onto the storage medium.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
ewiplayer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKing View Post
As am I, but to the best of my knowledge about the device it uses a standard Linux O/S. Seriously, how hard could it be to implement something as simple as a paintbrush utility. It appears the reader already has the capability of write abilities onto the storage medium.
How do you raster the written stuff to an image format? How do you store it? Where do you store it? How is it retrieved? Displayed? Do you get to modify the file itself (i.e. write notes on the doc)? If so, then how does the existing rendering engine manage to deal with the new data? How does it integrate with the offline software? Can you edit it outside? How do you sync those changes back and forth? Is it a new filetype that must be supported? Does it integrate with the notes application or can it be its own beast? What are the file size requirements on the device? How do you optimize for input and display? Are files that are too big too difficult to display? That's a stream of consciousness... I haven't even thought about it yet. This could go on for a while...

I don't want to get into a design discussion at all (as it would be even further off topic than this post is already), I'm just making my point... and I'm going to sum up with my original statement... "It's always harder than you think".
Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

I was a systems programmer/analyst for 25 years and I never want to see another line of code again. That's for the nextgen.

I want to read in my retirement, where my dreams won't be taken over by operations research mode trying to solve logic problems.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 11-21-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
MikeKing
College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiplayer View Post
How do you raster the written stuff to an image format? How do you store it? Where do you store it? How is it retrieved? Displayed? Do you get to modify the file itself (i.e. write notes on the doc)? If so, then how does the existing rendering engine manage to deal with the new data? How does it integrate with the offline software? Can you edit it outside? How do you sync those changes back and forth? Is it a new filetype that must be supported? Does it integrate with the notes application or can it be its own beast? What are the file size requirements on the device? How do you optimize for input and display? Are files that are too big too difficult to display? That's a stream of consciousness... I haven't even thought about it yet. This could go on for a while...

I don't want to get into a design discussion at all (as it would be even further off topic than this post is already), I'm just making my point... and I'm going to sum up with my original statement... "It's always harder than you think".
Well I'm defiantly not saying your wrong because your probably right. But I'm looking around at some the applications produced for the 505 and 500. I'm certain its possible to implement. How hard it would be is another discussion on its own. Anyways, thanks for the response. =)