Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #61
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
And as for the internal memory -- no, because at the time the Galaxy S Epic 4G was Sprint's flagship Android and there really wasn't any better choice.
They had the EVO3D at the same time, which is what I went with. I don't know if I'd call it a "better" choice overall, but it was spec'd very similar and had a card slot. I've been happy with it. Not so happy with Sprint's data speeds, but that's not the phone's fault.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Did you complain to customer service?
Samsung/Sprint no longer supported the phone at that time. And other people who had the same phone had the same issues, so I think it was just the way the phone was. It was just a limitation of the phone and there isn't anything customer service would have been able to do for me. The phone itself was fine.

Quote:
I'm confused, was it the best choice in regards to the internal memory, or despite of it?
It was the best choice -- the top-of-the-line-Android. Well, that and the HTC Evo, which had the same amount of internal memory and pretty similar specs overall. (No 4G capability, but there isn't 4G in my area anyway, so it didn't matter.)

But I like Samsung, I wanted the pull out keyboard, and I was already familiar with the Samsung UI from my other phone. Also, my husband had his Epic 4G for about six months and really liked it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #63
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
As I recall, the original Evo was also being offered, so I don't quite understand the apparent lack of choice.

I chose the Epic because of its physical keyboard/touch screen/powerful processor combination. It was Samsung's last flagship model with keyb; besides which, the DAC actually sounds better than that of later Samsung models stateside. For equal or better sound without a DAC, you need the international S3/S4/Note2 and a carrier like T-Mobile.
The original Evo had the same specs as the Epic, if I recall correctly. I know I compared the two but decided to stick with the slide-out keyboard and familiar UI. Also, I have a weakness toward anything Samsung, which gave it an extra boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
They had the EVO3D at the same time, which is what I went with. I don't know if I'd call it a "better" choice overall, but it was spec'd very similar and had a card slot. I've been happy with it. Not so happy with Sprint's data speeds, but that's not the phone's fault.
The EVO 3D didn't come out until six or eight months after the Epic 4G was released. (My husband bought an Epic 4G the week it launched.) The 3D was not available even when I bought my phone; I remember when I saw the first previews for it, I had already had my new phone for a while.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #64
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
The EVO 3D didn't come out until six or eight months after the Epic 4G was released. (My husband bought an Epic 4G the week it launched.) The 3D was not available even when I bought my phone; I remember when I saw the first previews for it, I had already had my new phone for a while.
Sorry, my mistake. For some reason I thought the Epic 4G was a 2012 spring release, but I see now it was released in 2011.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #65
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Samsung/Sprint no longer supported the phone at that time. And other people who had the same phone had the same issues, so I think it was just the way the phone was. It was just a limitation of the phone and there isn't anything customer service would have been able to do for me. The phone itself was fine.
You said that you had it for a year. It would have been covered by the warranty.

Quote:
It was the best choice -- the top-of-the-line-Android. Well, that and the HTC Evo, which had the same amount of internal memory and pretty similar specs overall. (No 4G capability, but there isn't 4G in my area anyway, so it didn't matter.)

But I like Samsung, I wanted the pull out keyboard, and I was already familiar with the Samsung UI from my other phone. Also, my husband had his Epic 4G for about six months and really liked it.
Sorry, but for me top-of-the-line isn't the same as best choice. I buy devices based on specs and reviews and my own needs.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #66
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
You said that you had it for a year. It would have been covered by the warranty.

Sorry, but for me top-of-the-line isn't the same as best choice. I buy devices based on specs and reviews and my own needs.
How else?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #67
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
How else?
Apparently by flagship status.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #68
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Flagship?
Usually those are big cumbersome leviathans, that Admirals frequent.

Hardly something you want to carry in your pocket or on your belt.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #69
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Some people use flagship to mean -- ostensibly -- the model with the most powerful and inclusive specs offered by a carrier at the present time. That certainly described the original Galaxy S (i.e., Epic) and Evo when they were first offered by Sprint. In terms of specs, the Epic was the more fully featured of the two and allowed the most options. It was also the last U.S. Galaxy S phone to use a Wolfson DAC and sounds better as a media player than any U.S iteration since.

Correct me if I'm dung, my good mien, but it looks as though you're choosing to use the worst connotations of the common word flagship to imply incompetence on the part of the person who chose a particular model with which she eventually became unhappy.

I would also argue that, along with comparing specs of the various models in which one's interested, it's also important to visit stores that carry said models and try them out. That way, one's empirical impressions can be factored into one's decision along with preferred specs.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #70
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Some people use flagship to mean -- ostensibly -- the model with the most powerful and inclusive specs offered by a carrier at the present time. That certainly described the original Galaxy S (i.e., Epic) and Evo when they were first offered by Sprint. In terms of specs, the Epic was the more fully featured of the two and allowed the most options. It was also the last U.S. Galaxy S phone to use a Wolfson DAC and sounds better as a media player than any U.S iteration since.

Correct me if I'm dung, my good mien, but it looks as though you're choosing to use the worst connotations of the common word flagship to imply incompetence on the part of the person who chose a particular model with which she eventually became unhappy.

I would also argue that, along with comparing specs of the various models in which one's interested, it's also important to visit stores that carry said models and try them out. That way, one's empirical impressions can be factored into one's decision along with preferred specs.
I asked:
Quote:
The internet connection is one thing, but didn't you test the phone with slow response before buying, and didn't you read on the box how much internal memory it had?
and the reply was:
Quote:
And as for the internal memory -- no, because at the time the Galaxy S Epic 4G was Sprint's flagship Android and there really wasn't any better choice.
If someone tells me that they didn't read the specs because the device was the flagship, I take it to mean that they are looking at the status of the device and not the specs. I see that you interpreted the reply in a different way.

I don't think that "flagship" has bad connotations, it is the product that would be considered best by most people, but that doesn't mean that it would be best for me. Which is why I choose based on specs. I'm also not saying that my way of choosing is the best way of choosing, it is just my way of choosing.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #71
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If someone tells me that they didn't read the specs because the device was the flagship, I take it to mean that they are looking at the status of the device and not the specs. I see that you interpreted the reply in a different way.
I seem to have forgotten the earlier part of the exchange in which sakura-panda either hadn't or failed to specify she had checked the amount of internal memory in the Epic 4G prior to buying one. My interpretation was based on the more immediate exchange which took place today, so I appreciate the clarification.

I find it hard to believe anyone considering a Galaxy S phone at that time could have avoided reading about its limited memory on sites like Gizmodo and Android Central. Ditto Sprint's rather spotty network penetration -- all of that was common knowledge.

Quote:
I don't think that "flagship" has bad connotations, it is the product that would be considered best by most people, but that doesn't mean that it would be best for me.
However, the mere mention of a product's being the flagship should not be taken to mean the person saying so has failed to examine the specs carefully.

It can mean, however, that the user is more interested in processor speed and added features than avoiding practical limitations which can impair the functionality of a device. I've been guilty of that myself, but then again, my uses are so specific that I haven't even bothered to replace my Epic 4G, which I intend to do when I move this summer and possibly switch to T-Mobile if coverage allows.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-28-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #72
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Our old pal is just being funny
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #73
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
I asked:

and the reply was:

I don't think that "flagship" has bad connotations, it is the product that would be considered best by most people, but that doesn't mean that it would be best for me. Which is why I choose based on specs. I'm also not saying that my way of choosing is the best way of choosing, it is just my way of choosing.
I think that sometimes, our efforts for humor find a rocky shore.

Personally, if I was that guy who made reference to "dung" I wold have said to "SeaKing" "well, where would you like to land with a storm coming at sea? The "flagship" is usually a giant carrier.

quote:"Correct me if I'm dung, my good mien, but it looks as though you're choosing to use the worst connotations of the common word flagship to imply incompetence on the part of the person who chose a particular model with which she eventually became unhappy."

I remember, when I was young, this ditzy lady saying "this is the finest TV made" and it was given to me by a very well off gentleman friend. The TV had a broken cheap knob. Maybe the guy was like that too.
Another time, a couple that acted pretty hi-highfaluting, came over at a gathering and said their car wouldn't start, and that "it was a Mercedes!" I looked at it and under the hood of this shiny waxed Mercedes, it was like an apocalyptic scene. Under the distributor cap, there was corrosion where the dust and grime grime weren't covering it. The points were pitted. I asked how long they had had the car, and they said only a week or 2. It was second hand, but it was a ""Mercedes.""

People can fool themselves with big names, "flagships" and sales pitches.

Last edited by SeaKing; 04-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #74
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth
How else?

Quote:
Heinlein + Yoda quote: strangers in a strange land we are

Last edited by forsooth; 04-27-2013 at 11:09 PM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #75
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
People can fool themselves with big names, "flagships" and sales pitches.
Here's my issue with that line of attack (as it were): It only peels away the first layer.

I hesitate to rail at others' delusions before considering the stubborn entrenchment of my own.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.