Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Order Total £ 283.52

Ordered!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Order Total £ 283.52

Ordered!
Congrats! I'm waiting for my too

I'll race ya :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it's only got to go from France to Scotland, so that should be quicker... but I imagine I'm much further down the list than you are. Also since I ordered on a sunday it's possible they've sold out what they had in stock, and I'm in for a long wait.

But... the race is on
Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you know you can ge a Sony Reader PRS-505 for £150 plus the cost to ship it? Well you can. I don't know what shipping would cost. But that does make the 505 that much cheaper then the Gen3 for UKers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
binzer
Zealot

Quote:
Well, it's only got to go from France to Scotland, so that should be quicker... but I imagine I'm much further down the list than you are. Also since I ordered on a sunday it's possible they've sold out what they had in stock, and I'm in for a long wait.

But... the race is on
Well, I only ordered mine a few days ago from BoB, and they should be sending it Wednesday or Thursday IF they get their shipment from Bookeen, which will probably give me a headstart. I chose slow ground shipping though, and packages sometimes get held up at the Canada/US border, so it should be quite the unpredictable race. Anyone wanna place bets?

Quote:
Do you know you can ge a Sony Reader PRS-505 for £150 plus the cost to ship it? Well you can. I don't know what shipping would cost. But that does make the 505 that much cheaper then the Gen3 for UKers.
Oh you and your shameless plugging of the 505 Just look at the poor pathetic Cybook forums. We need more people!
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Oh you and your shameless plugging of the 505 Just look at the poor pathetic Cybook forums. We need more people!
I'm just stating a fact that a 505 from B&H will save a bit of money over a Gen3 if you live in the UK.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
binzer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just stating a fact that a 505 from B&H will save a bit of money over a Gen3 if you live in the UK.
I know, I was teasing :P
Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Certainly it will, but quality is worth paying a bit extra for .

Seriously, as you know, the Gen3 will do quite a few more things than the Sony will in terms of dictionary support, font support, etc. For me personally, that's worth paying a bit extra for. For others, it may not be - it's a personal choice.

Your figure of £150 is a little misleading, given that one will have to pay on top of that about 7% import tax plus 17.5% VAT, which brings it up to about £190, plus whatever "admin charge" the courier charges you - typically about £10. Say £200 in total. It's still cheaper than the £245 of the Gen3, but for me, it's worth £45 more.

One thing to bear in mind if considering the Sony is that if you buy it outside the US, you're effectively buying with no warranty - Sony will repair it, but they'll only ship it back to a US address. The Gen3 has a world-wide warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #24
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your figure of £150 is a little misleading, given that one will have to pay on top of that about 7% import tax plus 17.5% VAT, which brings it up to about £190, plus whatever "admin charge" the courier charges you - typically about £10. Say £200 in total. It's still cheaper than the £245 of the Gen3, but for me, it's worth £45 more.
s/will have to/may have to/, actually...

Does that £245 include a case with the Gen3, or should one budget seperately for that, as the Sony includes a case that seems perfectly adequate for normal day-to-day use?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM   #25
Halk
Fanatic

£283.52 is what it cost me for the Cybook, case and delivery. I didn't opt for anything else.

Edit : I should point out that the price I came up with for the Sony was just over £200. On top of that I'd need to buy a case. Fifty quid was what I saw as the difference between the two, and I was prepared to pay fifty quid for a product that was "legit" as far as the warranty goes. Dictionary support is worth about zero to me...

Last edited by Halk; 03-10-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Dictionary support is worth about zero to me...
You may be surprised just how useful it is. I shared your view (ie that a dictionary isn't worth having) when I owned a Sony. When I got my Gen3 I bought a decent dictionary really just as an "impulse buy", and now I find it absolutely indispensible. I'd never bother looking words up in a paper dictionary, but dictionary lookup is so easy and so beautifully integrated with the Gen3 that now I find myself using it all the time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I agree. I can usually understand most terms from context even if they're old or obscure. I used to just satisfy myself with that, but it's interesting to have the real definition. Plus sometimes I get the feeling that an author is using a word I know but in a more nuanced way than I'm getting. It's nice to get a deeper understanding even of a word I know. Before, I wouldn't put down my book and interrupt the flow of my reading to go look it up. It's so easy when lookup is built in that it doesn't jar me away from the book.

Dictionaries aren't just for those with limited vocabularies. I could sit and play with a dictionary for hours. Words fascinate me on their own. I wish there was a good OED we could use on our devices.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Dictionaries aren't just for those with limited vocabularies. I could sit and play with a dictionary for hours. Words fascinate me on their own. I wish there was a good OED we could use on our devices.
That's a very good argument for not having a good dictionary on your e-book reader. If I had, I'd never get any actual reading done anymore. ;-)
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
£283.52 is what it cost me for the Cybook, case and delivery. I didn't opt for anything else.

Edit : I should point out that the price I came up with for the Sony was just over £200. On top of that I'd need to buy a case. Fifty quid was what I saw as the difference between the two, and I was prepared to pay fifty quid for a product that was "legit" as far as the warranty goes. Dictionary support is worth about zero to me...
As far as the 505 goes, you don't have to purchase a case for it. It comes with a simulated leather case. You can purchase a different case if you want, but no need if you don't want.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #30
Halk
Fanatic

That's certainly an advantage the 505 has Jon, as I understand the Cybook all but needs the case, so anyone buying one is likely to buy the case as well. Perhaps a less expensive case from Cybook would be appropriate, even if it's simulated leather it's likely good enough for most people. Be nice if Bookeen got on the phone to Noreve and got something sorted out, Noreve are another French company, and they make very high quality cases for all sorts of electronic devices. Not likely to be a cheaper option though!