Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Not using my Kindle for a few months.....

I have got a real book from the library (yes, I know - an actual real book!) which will take me about three months to read I would think, which means I will not be using my Kindle 4 for a while.

Is it alright to let the battery run down and charge it when I want to use it again, or is it best to fully charge every so often, or give it a slight charge every so often?

I'm not too sure which would be best.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you plan to store your Kindle for a while, let the battery discharge to about 40%, and then store it at that charge level. That's the optimum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you plan to store your Kindle for a while, let the battery discharge to about 40%, and then store it at that charge level. That's the optimum.
If I store it at 40%, won't it fully discharge within 3 months, before I use it again?
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sleep mode on the Kindle uses extremely little power. So no, it certainly won't fully discharge (or anything close to it) in 3 months.

But do you really have to read ONLY this one book for 3 months. It must be a monstrously long book if it's going to take you that long to read it! Could you not continue to read on your Kindle while you're also reading this magnum opus?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you want to store it, hold the on/off button until you see the "Shut Down" notice. Answer "Yes" and it will stay that way without discharging much power. That will close all processes including WiFi.

If you left it that way for over a year, it would slowly discharge to 40% and then level off.

Sleep mode will discharge more energy especially if you leave WiFi on.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
What's the significance of the 40% battery level? Kind of a take on the law of diminishing returns, or something?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I thought eink only uses power to refresh a page, and zero on sleep mode.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The screen only uses power when you turn the page, but, for example, RAM is still powered up in sleep mode. That uses a small amount of power.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Oh, duh! That makes sense.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Sleep mode on the Kindle uses extremely little power. So no, it certainly won't fully discharge (or anything close to it) in 3 months.
Actually with the K4 as I own one not in use. It will discharge way before 3 months is up. You will need to charge it at least once a month. The battery even when not in use like to run down on the K4 I don't have this problem with the K3. I can go two months before a charge when it's just sitting on the shelf but it has a bigger battery.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is that with WiFi off? I've left various Kindles unused for months, and they've retained a respectable charge even after that. I don't own a K4, though.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is that with WiFi off? I've left various Kindles unused for months, and they've retained a respectable charge even after that. I don't own a K4, though.
Yep that's with WiFi off. I turn mine on last night to check the gauge it's was over half way down. I charged it on the 27th before I left for vacation. The K3 I took on vacation but didn't use it. It's barely budge.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Actually with the K4 as I own one not in use. It will discharge way before 3 months is up. You will need to charge it at least once a month. The battery even when not in use like to run down on the K4 I don't have this problem with the K3. I can go two months before a charge when it's just sitting on the shelf but it has a bigger battery.
I had the same experience with my Kindle Keyboard. No WiFi on and it was in the drawer for several months after I got my Fire. I had to recharge when I needed it again.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Which Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yep that's with WiFi off. I turn mine on last night to check the gauge it's was over half way down. I charged it on the 27th before I left for vacation. The K3 I took on vacation but didn't use it. It's barely budge.
Is that in Sleep Mode or Shut Down Mode? I believe the latter uses almost no energy.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Is that in Sleep Mode or Shut Down Mode? I believe the latter uses almost no energy.
There is no shut down mode on a Kindle. You're thinking Kindle Fire. You have a sleep with screen saver or blank screen. They are both the same mode.