Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Man! This monkey is on top of the clouds!

Thanks monk!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I use tune-in radio on all my devices which let's me access local or world stations with my presets. Love it, but it does use bandwidth when not in wifi range.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I haven't tried Pandora but I don't listen to rock stations. I'd rather shuffle my own music.
Give Pandora a shot. It's free and you can program any mix you like. I have stations for hard rock, grunge, alternative, classic rock, oldies, classical, soft rock, etc. Just type in the name of a group or artist and that station plays nothing but music similar to the artist you chose.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I haven't tried Pandora but I don't listen to rock stations. I'd rather shuffle my own music.
Don't really listen to any top-40 stations (rock, country, indie), but I've fallen in love with Spotify. It isn't free, but it's easy to set up your own stations around a favorite track or genre.

As far as the cloud, I've got nothing up there but what I've purchased. I've got a 16G Walkman that I rotate music through when I'm not listening to Spotify.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Don't really listen to any top-40 stations (rock, country, indie), but I've fallen in love with Spotify. It isn't free, but it's easy to set up your own stations around a favorite track or genre.

As far as the cloud, I've got nothing up there but what I've purchased. I've got a 16G Walkman that I rotate music through when I'm not listening to Spotify.
I did try Spotify as some Facebook friends use it. However, I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'm getting old or it doesn't work with Android (my only personal computer is my Android tablet). I couldn't figure out Pintrest, either. A 16G Walkman would keep me going for a long time! I love my 4G Walkman. It is a tough little device and gives great sound.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 08-01-2012 at 01:16 PM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Give Pandora a shot. It's free and you can program any mix you like.
It's only free if you're willing to see ads, right? I haven't tried it in a while but what little I did drove me crazy.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's what I've been using it for, only those cd's purchased from Amazon ... e.g. free. I copy non-amazon cd's to my phone and tablet as needed, but most of my purchases for the past many years are from Amazon anyway.
I hear ya. My Amazon stuff is mostly free to, thanks to $1 and $2 MP3 credits. I've been using them to build up my classical music library by getting albums with 99 and 100 song collections.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It's only free if you're willing to see ads, right? I haven't tried it in a while but what little I did drove me crazy.
The ads and 6 skips per hour limit don't bother me. Otherwise, I'd pay the $36 per year to eliminate them. Even with ads, I hear more music per hour than I do on FM radio; plus I get to hear the music I want to hear.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Man! This monkey is on top of the clouds!

Thanks monk!
Unlike the Stones, I share my cloud

Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Duze
Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Duze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, Nook Color (CM7), Nexus 7 (pre-ordered), GTab 7+ (sold)
Right now I have over 5500 songs on my google music account.

For my portable player, I have a cheap android pre paid phone I bought while it was on sale a few months back. While near a wifi hotsphot, I have access to my complete library, and with the 16gb sd card I have in it, I can store a lot of music that I can listen to while I do not have a wifi connection. Also since its an android device, I can use it for a lot of other things.
Duze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
They have a free ad version, just like Pandora. I'd try it, but it requires a Facebook account to register; and I hate Facebook!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Personally I just run my own server (SubSonic) no storage limits no third party monitoring what I listen to and no adds. Oh SubSonic also has clients for Android, IOS, Web. I've also found a couple of data store servers as well that I'm looking into so should have that part covered as well pretty soon. The only thing I don't have yet is a EBook server setup but that will be coming pretty soon as well in the form a calibre server once I figure out how to set alternate ports and SSL for the server.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I use tune-in radio on all my devices which let's me access local or world stations with my presets. Love it, but it does use bandwidth when not in wifi range.
I do TuneIn Radio also. I have the Pro version on my Galaxy Player thanks to Amazon's free app of the day. Great service.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

With many major players ditching flash and card slots, they're trying to force us into the cloud before it's even ready.

The cloud won't be viable for portable devices until wifi is universally available.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
With many major players ditching flash and card slots, they're trying to force us into the cloud before it's even ready.

The cloud won't be viable for portable devices until wifi is universally available.
Yeah, the only reason I took to it so well was that my phone has an unlimited data plan with Sprint, I think the last company to really have unlimited. Even so, sometimes I don't get a good enough 3G connection to stream smoothly.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote