Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
can't write more files on sd card?

Hi, i ran into strange problem today, using card reader (actually a portable hard drive with sd port) try to copy 400 files onto 1G sd card, it failed saying can't write after exactly 204 file written successfully, i remove 1 file, then i can copy 1 file in, but no more, sounds like the totoal number of files is capped at 204? i kinda remember i wrote more files before

well i tried a different sd card, same thing... so far no ereader is involved all on computer

then i tried put it in ereader, and use connect software to see if i can add 1 more, got fsk error code=-9999 ...

there are 600m available so it's not the size

it's formatted as FAT

i tried to format as FAT32, i can copy all 400 files (although much slower), but on ereader only 22 showed up

why i can't save more files on the card under FAT?

any idea? driving me nuts

thx!!!

ps. i replaced 1 file with a new folder, i can copy some more files in the folder, but at root level only 204 max???

Last edited by ns66; 08-03-2007 at 04:36 AM.
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you trying to copy all these files into the root directory? There's a limit to the number of files you can store in the root. Create one or more folders and copy the files into the folders; folders have no limit on the number of files they can store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
ns66
Connoisseur

oh yeah, so max on root is 204?

fine, but if i create folders and put lrfs in there, ereader won't see them
i tried, unless i miss sth
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
oh yeah, so max on root is 204?

fine, but if i create folders and put lrfs in there, ereader won't see them
i tried, unless i miss sth
The Reader will see files in folders. It will show them to you as a "flat" list, but it will see them.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
ns66
Connoisseur

in fact i just tried again they showed up, yeah!!!

thx harry
Advert
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
There is a limit on the number of files and folders in the root directory of a FAT16 filesystem of 512.

This number is reduced much further if file names longer than 8 characters are used.

When transferring the files onto the card, it is very likely that new files will be rejected after a certain number by your memory card reader.

A workaround is to either keep your filenames under 8 characters in length or keep your files in separate folders, so they are not all in the root folder.

Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The maximum Files for the root directory in FAT(32) is 510 (512 - . and ..)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
ns66
Connoisseur

ok i use a few directories, then spread the files in them, i can copy all files to sd card now, BUT when i plug it in ereader, it shows nothing from the sd card, i hooked up to connect software, got fsk error -9999...

now does ereader has its own limit of 512?

i am wondering is the limit on total file counts (including folders), or is it just the total memory of all filenames add together? in the later case, i could use really short filenames, so get more files in?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have (in a test only) put over a thousand files on a 2 GB SD card and had the Reader see them all. I was able to pull selected files up in both LRF and JPG format and to play MP3 files. This was a test for another thread. Since all were in their own directory by type of file with no single file in the root, there was no problem with the length of file names. (My MP3 files tend to be very long named.)

Since I keep the number of books on the Reader to 30 or so and do not play MP3s on it, I do not keep the SD card in the Reader in normal practice.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
In FAT32, there is no maximum: the root directory is allocated in pretty much the same way as any other directory (and the root directory does not contain ".." or, I think, "."). In FAT16, the maximum depends on how many sectors were allocated to the root directory at format time. 512 may be the default for Windows formatting software, but other values are possible. I do know all this: I've implemented code for directly extracting data from FAT16/32.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
useopenid
useopenid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, Treo 650
prs 500 no longer sees manually copied files

I know it used to when I first got it, but apparently one of the updates along the way broke it...
useopenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Well, that's very very interesting....I'm going to keep that in mind while arranging my books.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Provided you format the card as FAT32 it's a non-issue; the limit only applies to FAT16.