Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Nook Color Battery Life

If the rumor is true, then the processor is solid. However, my other concern is the battery life. B&N advertized it to be 8 hours for reading with WiFi off. My first question is, does the 8 hours reading assume the intensity/brightness of the LCD to be turned down to minimum? I have to dim the LCD screen of my Classic Nook to 15% intensity to conserve battery life. The factory setting is ~30%.

If that is the case, as video or web surfing will need more intensive brightness/contrast, the battery life will take a big hit. I am not a pessimist but I try to be realistic. My worse case estimation of the battery life for Nook Color is:
• WiFi off, reading with dimmed brightness, WiFi on (Total battery discharge): 8 hours
• WiFi off, reading with dimmed brightness (assume recharge with 10% battery left): 7.2 hours
• WiFi off, playing Video with higher intensity (assume 100% more intensity): 3.6 hours
• WiFi on and surfing the web with higher intensity: 2.5 hours

This will pale in comparison with the iPad battery performance which is 10 hours in surfing the web with WiFi on. I don’t mind charging the battery everyday but 2 or 3 hours will not do it. What makes it even more of a concern is B&N has locked down the battery and make it non user replaceable so carrying a spare battery is not even an option. I was so tempted to pre-order; I still am tempted but my brain tells me to sit and wait until the review and perfomance comes in.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I was so tempted to pre-order; I still am tempted but my brain tells me to sit and wait until the review and perfomance comes in.
I'm waiting for the reviews.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
In General Terms, having read a lot of electronics reviews, when you have ONE figure for battery life the manufacturer of the device has likely turned off one or more heavy consumption things (like Wi-Fi) to conduct their tests, and did not have the screen brightness at 100%

Also there are many threads out on the web for what you can expect your battery to deliver down the road. I tend to go with I will get only 80% in twenty-four months (may be a bit pessimistic). So for the Nook Color I assume that I am looking at 6 1/2 hours of reading use, no Wi-Fi, at 50% brightness, two years from now.

I am computing 448grams versus the iPad's 680grams so I am intrigued by this new product.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
what? batteries are not removable? that sux
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote