Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Fire's Silk browser "Reading View" problem

The "Reading View" option accessed from the hamburger icon in Fire's Silk web browser attempts to remove everything except the main text on a webpage with the result being a browser webpage that looks like an e-reader book page. No ads, no images, no extraneous content. It's especially good for reading long articles.

I've noticed, though, that it often truncates the full text of an article. The text may begin in the third paragraph or end several paragraphs too early.

Has anyone noticed this? Has this always been a problem with Reading View or did it only start in the latest versions of Silk? I've noticed that Silk updates frequently.

I think Reading View works by making a heuristic guess at just what constitutes the main content of the page. Maybe new complex webpages are fooling it and Reading View needs new instructions to adapt.

A little history: In searching this issue (I didn't find anything), I read that Amazon removed Reading View from Silk a couple of years ago. Then they brought it back some months later. Many users were disturbed by Amazon's removing a popular feature. One reason given by foum commenters for Reading View's removal was that websites objected to the feature as it partly functioned like an ad blocker.
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote