Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #871
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Bones never grow old.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #872
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Right now working on three short stories.

One is set in the mid eighties and uses mostly movie-ish conventions and plays more towards rule of cool than reality since I wanted a 'movie' feel. Incidentilly I'm having the most frustration at portraying the privet I bits realistically since I dont know how things were done pre-internet.

A Robot Cop short that centers on a string of synths (robots) that are going nutty and a bunch of civilian frames (used by construction types when off hours so they arn't purpose built eight foot tall walking tanks) all linked to a factory that didn't gear down from millitary production properly.

A third short that's mostly abandoned but revolved around what amounts to my take on the whole magic girl thing.... Mostly done as a request. I don't like the genre due to how tied to romance the whole thing is and too much fanservice. I'm kinda stalled at the part where I'm confronting the big bad about zombies.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #873
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I liked the movie, especially the Moby Dick references. It did suffer series consistency as well as some problems with the science, but I'd never go so far as to say it was IqnaH QaD.

Nice article, though.
I hated the Moby Dick references: For one thing, equating Kirk to a "ferocious whale" was a silly metaphor, obviously chosen for its renown more than its accuracy; and for another thing, Khan misquoted the book (and the "revenge is a dish best served cold" comment) to add "Trek-isms" that sounded too stupid for even a geek like me to swallow. Trying to make the movie more palatable for sci-fi fans who presumably (to the Paramount producers) wouldn't know any better.

IqnaH QaD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I thought all the Star Trek films with the old people were daft. If it was real they would have all been retired years ago. Maybe if they had made it so that they were lost in space or something it would make more sense.
True: From the first movie, where everyone from the series is still on the Enterprise except Kirk, Spock and McCoy, who are all rushed in for the crisis; to all of them becoming instructors in the second movie, renegades in the third and time-travelers in the fourth; to giving these instructors/renegades (they disobeyed every rule we have, but since they saved the world... no harm, no foul) a brand new (and badly-running) ship in the fifth movie; to making these instructors ambassadors to the Klingons (after killing more than their fair share over the years--I'm sure that went over well) for the sixth movie. Talk about contrived.

If anything, they should have appeared as advisors for a brand new crew or crews of multiple ships. Or given a small ship of their own, a scout ship to ply the stars. Using the original series dynamic was, as you said, daft.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-14-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Okay, I'm done.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #874
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I just looked at the outline for the romantic detective adventure I'm developing... and it's far too comic-book.

Rewrite!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #875
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Well, I just looked at the outline for the romantic detective adventure I'm developing... and it's far too comic-book.

Rewrite!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #876
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's just the outline... relax!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #877
kennyc

I know, I almost said that myself.

Or another option would be to do the graphic comics thing...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #878
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

Rewrite!
Put some zombies and wizards in it. Call it Harry and the 50 Shades of the Dead Grey Potters.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #879
Sakinah
Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sakinah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got to learn how to multitask like most of you here. I've got lots of ideas I want to write up but I find it hard to focus on more than one project.

Anyway, I'm just about ready to start working on part three of the blue haired men saga. I fear my love for crazy action scenes has given me a bit of writer's block.
Sakinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #880
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
It's just the outline... relax!
It's all right for some. I got feedback from the first draft of my second book: Apparently the last few chapters worked very well, but the first half of the book dragged. Now I have to work out whether that first half can be fixed, or whether it's a rewrite - and if it's a rewrite, how to do it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #881
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Put some zombies and wizards in it. Call it Harry and the 50 Shades of the Dead Grey Potters.
Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's all right for some. I got feedback from the first draft of my second book: Apparently the last few chapters worked very well, but the first half of the book dragged. Now I have to work out whether that first half can be fixed, or whether it's a rewrite - and if it's a rewrite, how to do it.
That's why I like to get that out of the way in the outline, before I start writing a word. If the outline's no good, I don't write. Once the outline is set, I don't change it, I only embellish on it. Less time wasted that way.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #882
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
This novel is like Dr. Who's Tardis... way bigger on the inside than it looked from the outside. I wanted to be done last week, dangit.

*headdesk*

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 06-15-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #883
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
This novel is like Dr. Who's Tardis... way bigger on the inside than it looked from the outside. I wanted to be done last week, dangit.

*headdesk*
Phnark! I feel your pain. I have one like that. K'Barthan 3 is taking for ever. I've all the timeline for one character done and I could probably write it up in about 6 weeks if I could work on it 9-5 and finish the wretched thing in 3 months... but my life is a bit more hectic than that so actually we're looking at 2013, I think. Hmm...

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #884
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I hated the Moby Dick references: For one thing, equating Kirk to a "ferocious whale" was a silly metaphor, obviously chosen for its renown more than its accuracy....
I don't know about about it being silly. Have you seen Shatner lately?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1221_whose_gut_reveal-1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	87745  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #885
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know about about it being silly. Have you seen Shatner lately?
DAMN MAN! EYE BLEACH! EYE BLEACH!!!