Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hey, everyone's definition of guilty pleasures is different -- if it's yours, then by all means nominate it. For me, it's part of the fabric of our shared civilization. I read it in my youth, and while I remember none of it with any detail, I remember little pastiches from it. I'll be happy to read it again, so go for it. And if catlady hasn't read it, by all means nominate it!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hey, everyone's definition of guilty pleasures is different -- if it's yours, then by all means nominate it. For me, it's part of the fabric of our shared civilization. I read it in my youth, and while I remember none of it with any detail, I remember little pastiches from it. I'll be happy to read it again, so go for it. And if catlady hasn't read it, by all means nominate it!
I don't know if I read it or not. Was there a Classics Illustrated comic book?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I consider Guilty Pleasure an individual choice. One person’s guilty pleasure may be another person’s normal or another person’s torture.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I consider Guilty Pleasure an individual choice. One person’s guilty pleasure may be another person’s normal or another person’s torture.
I'm thinking of Guilty Pleasure as something that's entertaining or popular rather than highbrow and "good for you"--potato chips rather than spinach.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the beauty of themes -- they go any way you want them to. And sometimes in ways no one expects. So, if someone is nominating The Scarlet Pimpernel, I'm quite willing to second it. And then hold onto my last ticket for a bit.
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I'm traveling so can't look up the info well but will go ahead and nominate the Scarlett Pimpernel.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
And since when did you become such a stickler?

It could be a guilty pleasure because I darn near memorized it, I read it so many times.
Yes, that would certainly fit my definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Very likely. The risk of nominating a real favourite here is having the discussion trample over something you love. (And books can become something very personal.) There are some books where I don't want to talk about their faults; all books have them, but sometimes I just don't care.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

OK, OK. You shamed me, Dazrin.

The Scarlet Pimpernel:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodreads
Armed with only his wits and his cunning, one man recklessly defies the French revolutionaries and rescues scores of innocent men, women, and children from the deadly guillotine. His friends and foes know him only as the Scarlet Pimpernel. But the ruthless French agent Chauvelin is sworn to discover his identity and to hunt him down.
This book is in the Public Domain most everywhere. So, you can find it on:
  • Project Gutenberg
  • Patricia Clark Memorial Library (only in LRF format, but Calibre is your friend)
  • Amazon (in a plethora of free or nearly free copies along with some very overpriced ones!)
  • Audible (10 different versions, including one by the inimitable Wanda McCaddon)
  • Kobo
  • All the various .ca, .co.uk, .com.au iterations of the above stores.
Plus, of course, your favourite public library, in pBook, eBook or audio book format.

Approximate length: 200 pages
Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The risk of nominating a real favourite here is having the discussion trample over something you love. (And books can become something very personal.) There are some books where I don't want to talk about their faults; all books have them, but sometimes I just don't care.
I've now reached a point in my life where I can just let it slide off me. Because? I just don't care. I love certain books, and I offer them up to my friends as possibilities. Sometimes they like them, some times they do NOT. c'est la vie. I rejoice when they like them, I remember when they don't so that I'm less likely to suggest a similar to them. And, I might add, the same thing happens in reverse. Sometimes my friends suggest a book and it's "Wow". Other times? Not so much. But I don't hold it against them, and I always encourage others to suggest books. It's how I discover new books, genres and authors.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm thinking of Guilty Pleasure as something that's entertaining or popular rather than highbrow and "good for you"--potato chips rather than spinach.
This expresses my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I'm traveling so can't look up the info well but will go ahead and nominate the Scarlett Pimpernel.
I've added a listing but it can be changed.

ETA: Whoops, Charlie and I overlapped. I'll add in some of the linkage. Is that a second, Charlie?

Last edited by issybird; 11-02-2018 at 09:02 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #26
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've now reached a point in my life where I can just let it slide off me. Because? I just don't care. I love certain books, and I offer them up to my friends as possibilities. Sometimes they like them, some times they do NOT. c'est la vie. I rejoice when they like them, I remember when they don't so that I'm less likely to suggest a similar to them. And, I might add, the same thing happens in reverse. Sometimes my friends suggest a book and it's "Wow". Other times? Not so much. But I don't hold it against them, and I always encourage others to suggest books. It's how I discover new books, genres and authors.
Hmm... yes. I agree to a certain extent, but would say there is a significant difference between suggesting books between friends and getting into a nitty-gritty discussion as we do sometimes here. I've not yet reached the point where I'm able to sit on my hands when perhaps I should.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've not yet reached the point where I'm able to sit on my hands when perhaps I should.
I hope you never sit on your hands here!

As far as I'm concerned, it's all grist to the mill. Even negative comments about something I loved, or vice versa, can only add to my understanding and appreciation. I'd hate to think someone was pulling his punches out of consideration for others' feelings.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Ah, I was misleading. It's not that I'm inclined to pull punches where I have criticism, it's that I think I am sometimes inclined to be overly defensive of something I like. I know I have a tendency to keep arguing when I should just say my piece and let it go.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I would never suggest a handful of books I absolutely love beyond reason, because I don't want to hear any criticism of them. They're special, and I don't want to discuss them.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've added a listing but it can be changed.

ETA: Whoops, Charlie and I overlapped. I'll add in some of the linkage. Is that a second, Charlie?
Yes, I already said I'd second a nomination. But was then avoiding turning in my weekly status report, so instead did the linkages and such like.