Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hopefully the day will come when the creators of graphic novels and comics will realize that there's a market for works that are created and formatted specifically for e-readers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Most comics have scenes where the panels run across two pages. Reading those on a tablet is a pita as even if you rotate and view length wise you still have to the zoom as the text is too small.

Even a dual screen device would be less than ideal however as you'd still get a sizable gap betweent he pages. But in general for reading comics a dual screen device would be much preferable.
That problem was solved a while back, and quite elegantly too, I must add.

Here's just one of the very many ways comics can be used:

Last edited by Moejoe; 01-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, tomorrow's the big day! Has everybody got their credit cards ready?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #34
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Mine's quivering in the corner - whether from excitement or fear, I'm not quite sure
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #35
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Most comics have scenes where the panels run across two pages. Reading those on a tablet is a pita as even if you rotate and view length wise you still have to zoom in as the text is too small.

Even a dual screen device would be less than ideal however as you'd still get a sizable gap between the pages. But in general, for reading comics, a dual screen device would be much preferable.
I have a dell mini and have to say once your used to scrolling it becomes(for me at least) a non issue especially as its only on maybe one in every 10 pages that there is a dual page spread.

a dual screen device would certainly not be prefferable to me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #36
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
I've used apps that can can zoom in on and intelligently enlarge speech bubbles and panels, I'd certainly not call it an elegant solution. Maybe given the restraints that a small screen imposes it's the best solution you will get. But I certainly don't find it fun having to contantly zoom in on and and around pages. I see comics as an art form and they are written and designed so that you can take in more than just one panel at a time. But hey that's just me I'm always on the lookout for the perfect device. I guess I'll always be looking. And as always everyone has different wants/needs.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hmm looks like I'll need to try and twist hubby's arm - yet again! I love being a housewife but now we're on one salary bigger purchases like this need to be justified. What can I sell, quick !!!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #38
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
I've used apps that can can zoom in on and intelligently enlarge speech bubbles and panels, I'd certainly not call it an elegant solution. Maybe given the restraints that a small screen imposes it's the best solution you will get. But I certainly don't find it fun having to contantly zoom in on and and around pages. I see comics as an art form and they are written and designed so that you can take in more than just one panel at a time. But hey that's just me I'm always on the lookout for the perfect device. I guess I'll always be looking. And as always everyone has different wants/needs.
iPhone is too small for me too,

but on the mini with the screen landscape i dont mind scrolling downa page as i read, its at almost 100% of an original comic page just that I can only see 100 of the width but 50% of the possible height at one time. scrolling down is a pretty natural way of reading it.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

These panels say it all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #40
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Any speculation on battery life?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #41
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh noes.... it's going to cost $2500!

All this is bunk... I'll believe it when I hear it from Apple.
Agree. Don't know where the $1000 'guess' came from, but unless this thing is *amazingly* powerful I think it'll need to be sub-$500 to be successful. Maybe $600-but any higher than that & it's competing with fairly capable laptops.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #42
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These panels say it all.
Those are great (and embarrassingly true )
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Agree. Don't know where the $1000 'guess' came from, but unless this thing is *amazingly* powerful I think it'll need to be sub-$500 to be successful. Maybe $600-but any higher than that & it's competing with fairly capable laptops.
I think it's pretty unlikely that a 10" tablet (and that seems to be the commonly-accepted spec) could cost under $500, when the current top-end iPod Touch costs $400. Certainly you can buy a laptop for the price of an iPod Touch, but they aren't really trying to compete with one another. I would bet that the overwhelming majority of Touch owners also own a laptop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #44
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Crap. I thought the announcement was today not tomorrow. Oh well.

Last edited by kwjones; 01-26-2010 at 12:45 PM.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why? What's happening in 15 minutes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote