Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
hanmik
hanmik doesn't litterhanmik doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-600, PRS-900, eDGe (pre-order)
Picked up a Sony Daily Edition at my local Bestbuy

If you are wanting one, you might check you local BB. The website showed they didn't have any in stock, but I have learned not to trust it.

They only had one and I jumped on it.
hanmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
and?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
and?
And they threw his a** out of the store. Picking up an ebook reader and jumping on it is not the ideal treatment.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
haha
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
And they threw his a** out of the store. Picking up an ebook reader and jumping on it is not the ideal treatment.
hahahaha...THANKS for that...I genuinely needed that laugh!! hehehehe...

I wanna hear from the noob what impression the Daily Ed. gave....but even were there to be no reply to that...yours was perfect!!
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
hanmik

The point is; they had one in store. I haven't been called a "noob" in years. Thanks for making me feel young, old timer.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmik View Post
The point is; they had one in store. I haven't been called a "noob" in years. Thanks for making me feel young, old timer.
hehehehe...we all need to feel YOUNG again as often as possible!! Was trying to pry some sort of comments and such about what ya like about the DE...there has not been a lot said about it yet though it looks really interesting. I could kick myself because in my age addled mind I was at wallyWorld doing a drug run and never even thought to see if they had any in stock. I know they have the 300 & 600 but dunno about the 900.

Sooooo, do ya like it?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Jiang
Enthusiast

Anyway, hanmik, you could say something about it, we are expecting your whatever comments.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
hanmik

Sorry for the delay, dealing with a couple of sick 6 years olds at the house.

I really like the size and feel of it. I have come to expect a Sony reader's hardware to be top notch and they didn't disappoint with the 900. If you have ever used a Sony reader you will feel right at home with the button placement and menus.

Display/Readability:

I have never liked reading on any of the Sony touch screen readers, but the 900 is very readable. It still has too much glare when using a book light.

If you change to landscape view, PDF are readable without zooming. It takes 3 page turns to make it through a page.

3G/Sony Store:

Connecting to the store via 3G feels a little slow compared to the Kindle 2.

I wish you could preview a book like you can on the Kindle and Nook.

Newspapers on the 900 work very well.

Over all I like the device. I have owned every Sony Reader released in the US and I would put this in my Sony top 3;

1. PRS-505
2. PRS-300
3. PRS-900
Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmik View Post

3G/Sony Store:

I wish you could preview a book like you can on the Kindle and Nook.
Yes, I wish they would allow downloading samples/excerpts.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
Jiang
Enthusiast

Thanks, hanmik, I've translated your comments and put it on a Chinese ereader forum.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiang View Post
Thanks, hanmik, I've translated your comments and put it on a Chinese ereader forum.
Copyright Infringement or theft? Hmmm you make the call.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
Jiang
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Copyright Infringement or theft? Hmmm you make the call.

Whoa!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #14
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I agree on the sample download. It is a very nice feature of the Kindle store and I hope Sony comes around to the same marketing technique. Mine finally gets delivered today, but I am out of town so won't get to play with it until tomorrow. Then, of course, I will probably have buyer's remorse when I see the Apple tablet.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I found one in my local Best Buy on Friday, I took it back yesterday. Overall, another top notch design on Sony's part.......well built, good ergonomics, good aesthetics, etc.

However, I couldn't get past the poor screen. It's definitely better than the 700 and maybe slightly better than the 600, but still vastly inferior to the 505 or Kindle. You can bump the font size up which helps readability, but defeats the purpose of the larger screen. Take away the touch layer and give it a screen like the 505 and you have a hit, with the current screen it's a miss for my needs.

Obviously these are my opinions and everyone's needs are different, but for me it doesn't make sense to sacrifice readability in a product designed to be a reader. I would caution anyone that if clear and crisp text are your priority, definitely look at an actual device before spending money on one sight unseen.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote