Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Lightbulb Should we reserve a spot for Apple's Tablet in our devices list?

Apple January 27th "Come See Our Latest Creation" Event Confirmed

I am not personally a fan of Apple's "Shallow Beauty" products (despite personal experience), but I as far as mobile reading is concerned, I think the tablet is going to revolutionize our mobile reading experience by its larger screen and faster processor (touch capability aside). As for probable battery concerns I am thinking of Solio Portable Solar Chargers as long as compatibility is not an issue.

I am impatiently waiting for the date it hits the market..
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib
...as far as mobile reading is concerned, I think the tablet is going to revolutionize our mobile reading experience...
I don't. At best, it will be YARD (yet another reading device). At worst, it will be very expensive and mostly useless for the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib
That's nice. Let's see if they actually release anything first. And if it has any value for reading ebooks.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
No.

I don't. At best, it will be YARD (yet another reading device). At worst, it will be very expensive and mostly useless for the purpose.

That's nice. Let's see if they actually release anything first. And if it has any value for reading ebooks.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Well, the problem here won't be the (mythical) device's value or non value for reading ebooks, it will be the fact that if it's an LCD display, it will get dismissed out of hand by a lot of people who won't read on anything except e-ink, (not that there's anything wrong with that preference). I can read and enjoy reading on both types of technology; but that's not the norm. Everyone's definition of "suitable to read ebooks on" is different - and you have to take that person's definition into account when reading opinions on a device's "value" for reading ebooks.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I may say, the choice of a device by large depends on the diversity of document formats it can handle. For me, this rules out most of the current E-Readers in the market. The reason is simply that I mainly work with dense Mathematical documents and my preference is to see and read each page in one go (plus probable divinity of continuous page turn option). The main format I use is DJVU and to the best of my knowledge the current Ereaders either don't support the format at all or it's nothing but a headache (Tigran's development on Hanlin V3 appears to be a significant exception although I cannot comment on its page/view capabilities). The rest of document formats that people use for usual reading experience (minus PDF that I usually convert it to DJVU) are more or less (and elegantly) accessible on my HTC TP2 phone using MobiReader and Calibre. So my hopes for now, are factored out in Apple's new product (assuming it is anything near what was long expected).

Last edited by dioib; 01-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
No.
Tablets are not e-readers, even though they can act as such.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
Apple January 27th "Come See Our Latest Creation" Event Confirmed

"Should we reserve a spot on our devices list?
YES!
Apple's tablet/slate (if that's what the announcement turns out to be) will sell more units in the first year than all the others combined. If it's a large screen iTouch iPod with a longer-lasting user replaceable battery, connectivity with papers/magazines/books and applications like the iPod - I want one!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Oh man, please cut out the italics serif!

It's going to shake things up, but it's not really an eReader. Are we adding other forums for tablet computers? I'm more interested in Asus's offering; I may be able to afford that one.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
It's going to shake things up, but it's not really an eReader. Are we adding other forums for tablet computers? I'm more interested in Asus's offering; I may be able to afford that one.
But I think it will be an e-reader. Not with e-ink and not with as long a battery life but with the ability to read news, pdf, etc. I have found I like to read on a backlit screen provided the background can be set to a light beige, gray or some neutral color.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
dioib
∂₪≈☼

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
Oh man, please cut out the italics serif!
Roger!

As for the literal conflict, I take The Old Man's side. I think in this evolving world we'd better keep our horizons open to extension. Plus I think even if the device is NOT by some nonexistent definition an "eReader" in the exact literal(?) sense of the term, it would delightfully serve the purpose (if not for a long time, for a good time).
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
No.
Tablets are not e-readers, even though they can act as such.
Hell, then all computers are ereaders right
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Why not just put it with the iPhone under "Portable Devices"?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No, we should not reserve a space for whatever the announcement is until it is announced and whatever it is is a good reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Well ..... Yes. Some better than others.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
In a sense, yes. I had a Motion tablet for years and used it for a variety of functions. BUT an e-reader should have certain criteria such as quick on and off, easy to read, portable, 8 hours + battery life. If does other things like web surfing, app running, so much the better. I expect the Apple slate will do all that. Probably will have a camera and perhaps a phone. I'm expecting a lot.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I bow my head to Steve Jobs, the grandmaster of hype. Unbelievable, this thing hasn't even been announced, nobody knows how it will look, how much it will cost (actually we do, an arm and a leg), and what functionality it will have and his zealous fans want to add it to a reader forum already! Oh great marketing genius, we worship you.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote