Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #46
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
Thanks Peter, that's actually pretty interesting stuff. Just out of curiosity, did you happen to have GeoffR's (or any other) Home Screen Switching patch installed at the time? (You see where I'm goin' here...just trying to determine if the HS change came through the pipeline along with the FW update, or maybe the update was simply tripping the already installed patch...I'm not even sure that's feasible...but I'll ask).
I run patch free / mod to conf file free
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #47
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillrael View Post
After updating the firmware to this version, 4.3.8945, and enabled the patch "ENABLE NEW HOME SCREEN" every time at the start of the KA1 is always shown the picture below (it's in Italian).
sorry for the bad english
That's a known bug/feature with the current (last few) firmwares. Not sure if they have it deliberately coming up after every power down ("feature") or the flag to indicate you've already seen it isn't working properly (bug). I rarely power my Kobo's down (just sleep them) so it's only a mild annoyance to me.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
Do you know if firmware 4.3.8945 brings something new about nightmode (and a toggle to switch between night/day modes) ?
You have had an answer, but these releases are purely bug fixes. There should be nothing new appearing in them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't forget to reinstall any custom dictionaries. I had to reinstall the custom hyphenation dictionary which I forgot to do until I was seeing the gaps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #50
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm lucky to have the old homescreen, but I both left feedback and contacted CS at Kobo about my feelings about this new homescreen. I hope that all that our complaining here do the same. They won't know what we think if we don't tell them.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #51
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Finally I've got it without changing the "affiliate". So far, I can see no change. I've got the old home screen (I'd rather not have the new one, so I'm happy).
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #52
camelriders
Enthusiast
camelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy bluecamelriders can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I still can't get my H20 to function properly with any firmware released after 3.19.5761, including the latest one here, 4.3.8945.

/b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I manually upgraded my Glo from 4.3.8871 to 4.3.8945, but I don't think there was any point really, the problems with sync and reading stats haven't been fixed.

I think I am going to turn off wi-fi and just wait until they have fixed all the problems introduced since 3.19.5761, I feel more like an unpaid software tester than a customer at the moment.

Edit: The UI is getting very ghosty, it is okay when actually reading a book, but the (old) home screen and menus ghost up very quickly now.
camelriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelriders View Post
I still can't get my H20 to function properly with any firmware released after 3.19.5761, including the latest one here, 4.3.8945.
What's the problem? An idea of what is going wrong is needed before we can help. if you discussed it here before, a link to the post/thread is probably enough.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:53 AM   #54
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just installed on my H2O.

One thing I noticed right away is that Kobo has made it easier to adjust the light by sliding along the left of the screen. It seems they have enlarged the zone a bit.

On 4.3.8842 (and 4.2.x), I found this rather difficult as half the time it wanted to select text instead, which was rather annoying.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #55
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
Hi Martina,
Just in case I didn't clearly understand this...are you saying you received the New Home Screen with a previous FW update and then reverted to the Old Home Screen from this subsequent update on the same device?
Hello Cherrypicker,
Yes, that's exactly how it is. Please see the following screenshots. The filenames I assigned accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Aura-H2O_Firmware-4.3.8842_New-Homescreen.png
Views:	443
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	155558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Aura-H2O_Firmware-4.3.8945_Old-Homescreen.png
Views:	417
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	155559  
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #56
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Hello Cherrypicker,
Yes, that's exactly how it is. Please see the following screenshots. The filenames I assigned accordingly.
Thanks Martina...that's a great help.
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #57
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
And the reading stats are off again! Instaed of 7 hrs reading time per book it shows 72 hrs.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm hitting a bit of an issue with the new OS (4.2+) in that the library settings have been removed. I used to use those to hide books in the cloud, does anyone know if we can do it anymore? I always download and side load my books through Calibre so seeing a cloud icon is actually a duplication, its getting rather annoying now.

Ohh and I've changed my mind on the new home screen after using it through the patch enabling, I hate it, too much advertising and I don't need kobo plugging more books at me I have enough of my own already.

Last edited by Josieb1; 03-10-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Well, I guess you can never tell ...

I'd all-but retired my venerable N905B Touch, because it had started repeatedly freezing on me. I'd tried complete resets, and rolling back to firmware like 2.6.1, and even 1.8.1, but it still kept locking up. I had no idea what the cause was, nor how to fix it.

So, I thought, nothing to lose. I tried sideloading the Mark 3 edition of 4.3.8842, and -- I hope the Digital Gods aren't listening! -- so far, not a single lock-up. No hacks or patches, but to date it works fine. Huh! ;-)

(I've just doomed myself saying that, haven't I? ...)
You do know that 4.3.8945 is the latest firmware and you might want to give that a go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #60
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Updated my Kobo Aura over wifi without any problems. Still the old homescreen (yay!), and my reading stats were restored (yay!), but it seems the bug is still there where minutes are counted as hours. I had a book open for a few minutes, and my total hours went from 517 to 520.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote