Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Question Touch e-Ink device for Mom

Hi

I am looking for a new Touch E-Ink device for my Mom who is a dinosaur (i.e. she knows minimally about computer & electronic devices). What I need:

1. a STABLE Touch e-ink device with ease-of-use user interface.
2. easy to install Vietnamese fonts (for her) to read Vietnamese books.
3. can read non-DRM Epub or Prc (Vietnamese books)
4. easy to drag & drop files to the reader.

I won't worry about web browser or downloading newspaper or any fancy like that.

I have tried the Nook Simple Touch in B&N store. It's OK but when I turn a page, there's a slightly dark ghost image for a fraction of a second - which is much more noticeable than what happens in my PRS 650. I heard the PRS T1 still has the freezing problem (?). How about the Kobo Touch and Kindle Touch?

Anne
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
NicholasV
Enthusiast
NicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Nook Touch, (ex)Kindle 3
Recently I went to the stores and tried the Kindle touch and Nook touch. I decided to finally buy the Nook touch and I will return by Kindle 3 Keyboard. The Kindle Touch is a pain imho, I much prefer buttons for page turning. The Kindles are all poorly designed. The keyboard versions have so many buttons it is not comfortable nor easy to find a position you can hold it, I often enough accidentally hit the page buttons myself because of this. The Touch version does not turn pages well either, sometimes I had to double tap, other times I turned pages the wrong way.

For the B&N Touch they set the page rate to refresh every 6 pages by default.
NicholasV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
None of the big name ereaders can read both ePub and prc (mobi) formats. If they don't have DRM, though, you can easily convert with Calibre.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You will find the ghosting on all of the devices. Itis getting better but it is there. You learn pretty quickly to ignore. At least, most people do.

Can you take your Mom to Target or Best Buy and let her handle the devices? That way she can play with them and let you know which is easiet to use.

The Kindle and the Nook are tied into large e-book stores and should be easy to use for shopping and reading. They both come with good warrenties and customer service.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Finally, I bought a Nook & the new Nook firmware solved the ghosting problem beautifully.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Finally, I bought a Nook & the new Nook firmware solved the ghosting problem beautifully.
Good decision. I played around with a Kindle Touch today and found the page turning to be slower than my Kindle Keyboard and even my Nook 1E. In my opinion the Nook Simple Touch works better and has better ergonomics as well.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote