Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Firmware 4.3.8945

Just rec'd FW 4.3.8945
  • Glo HD
  • No New Home Screen (still tiled)
  • Need to check "Attempt To Support Newer Firmware" in Calibre for driver to work
  • Release Notes Say: Improve Stability, Various Bug Fixes
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Two step update?

I hadn't updated my GloHD or Original Touch since 4.2.8432 so decided to go ahead and try this new FW. One odd thing about the update is that it did a two step update on both devices, first it downloaded and installed 4.3.8842 and then on restart it immediately downloaded and installed 4.3.8945.

I can't recall ever having any of my Kobo's do a two step update before but I usually update as soon as a new FW comes out so perhaps this is normal behavior, just something I have never seen before.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #3
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I can't recall ever having any of my Kobo's do a two step update before but I usually update as soon as a new FW comes out so perhaps this is normal behavior, just something I have never seen before.
Can't say. Mine went from 8842 to 8945 directly (it skipped 8871 and 8929 entirely). Maybe there was some "mandatory" base code in 8842 that was required.
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
My old Touch (original version) doesn't seem to like 4.3.8945, getting some strange screen corruption at the bottom of the home screen when doing a sync. Seems to be okay when reading a book though so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the screen itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touch screen corruption.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	155523  
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
A few of us on the beta program have reported that very issue to Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For those who are interested, the download links for 4.3.8945 are:

Mark 3
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.3.8945.zip

Mark 4

Mark 5

Mark 6

And for those who use the nightmode patch from this link: https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz, it still works on this release (tested on Aura using light switch or brightness level to toggle, Aura One using editing nightmode.ini to toggle).

Last edited by DNSB; 03-09-2017 at 12:32 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
KevinBurke
Enthusiast
KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.KevinBurke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I love Kobo that I am still getting bug fixes and stability improvements and other enhancements, pevious update , just before, this one even though my device is an older model.

Everything , seems to work fine with these updates on my Kobo Aura HD.

I think I noticed at least one bug improvement.

Sometimes, if I would search for a word, in a book, I just opened, I had to do it twice, as the first time I opened it --it would look in the previous book I had open.

I am not sure if this update fixed it or the previous update, which were close together.

Kindles can be nice but Kobo's higher end devices are like the Rolls Royce for hardcore geek readers. Definitely my favourite company since Sony stopped making their eReader line.

P.S. it did it in one shot, not two, on my device.

Last edited by KevinBurke; 03-09-2017 at 12:23 AM.
KevinBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
  • Need to check "Attempt To Support Newer Firmware" in Calibre for driver to work
What version of calibre do you have? The update to support the 4.3.x firmware was in calibre 2.80.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What version of calibre do you have? The update to support the 4.3.x firmware was in calibre 2.80.
After turning off attempt to support newer firmware, Calibre 2.80 give the following:

Code:
calibre, version 2.80.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version.
As calibre does not know about this updated firmware,
database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You
can still send books to your Kobo with calibre,  but deleting
books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing
to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory
defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device
icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the
"Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require
you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 137.
Device firmware version: (4, 3, 8945)
Another day, another database version...

Last edited by DNSB; 03-09-2017 at 01:12 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I hadn't updated my GloHD or Original Touch since 4.2.8432 so decided to go ahead and try this new FW. One odd thing about the update is that it did a two step update on both devices, first it downloaded and installed 4.3.8842 and then on restart it immediately downloaded and installed 4.3.8945.

Not a two step process, just bad timing. Kobo have released a few hotfix firmware versions recently. In fact, they released two today. You must have timed the updates to download between turning the first one off and turning the second one on! But, I am surprised it was 4.3.8842 and not 4.3.8871.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:17 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Calibre 2.80 give the following:

Code:
calibre, version 2.80.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version.
As calibre does not know about this updated firmware,
database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You
can still send books to your Kobo with calibre,  but deleting
books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing
to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory
defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device
icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the
"Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require
you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 137.
Device firmware version: (4, 3, 8945)
Another day, another database version...
They upped the database version between 4.3.8929 and 4.3.8945. I'll update calibre tonight.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #12
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
what affiliate gives that update ? Mine is set on Kobo as I don't want the FNAC logo on sleeping. I didn't even get the one that was released at the beginning of the month.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 AM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I manually upgraded my Glo from 4.3.8871 to 4.3.8945, but I don't think there was any point really, the problems with sync and reading stats haven't been fixed.

I think I am going to turn off wi-fi and just wait until they have fixed all the problems introduced since 3.19.5761, I feel more like an unpaid software tester than a customer at the moment.

Edit: The UI is getting very ghosty, it is okay when actually reading a book, but the (old) home screen and menus ghost up very quickly now.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-09-2017 at 03:12 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:19 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I manually upgraded my Glo from 4.3.8871 to 4.3.8945, but I don't think there was any point really, the problems with sync and reading stats haven't been fixed.

I think I am going to turn off wi-fi and just wait until they have fixed all the problems introduced since 3.19.5761, I feel more like an unpaid software tester than a customer at the moment.

Edit: The UI is getting very ghosty, it is okay when actually reading a book, but the (old) home screen and menus ghost up very quickly now.
This. I stop using mine till this silliness is done with. I've gone back to reading on my Fire Phone. Doesn't Kobo have a test team? Did something happen to it?

Geoff how hard is it to downgrade back to 3.19?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 AM   #15
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I feel more like an unpaid software tester than a customer at the moment.
Lol, You didn't mention all time you spend on making FW patching.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote