Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
anarcat
Connoisseur
anarcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Note Pro 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Pixel 4a
Triggering a library refresh automatically

Hi,

I am working on a tool to automatically download content on the Kobo reader (I'm targeting the Glo HD because that's what I have, but it should work on other platforms as well). The tool is called Wallabako synchronizes wallabag entries into the kobo and generally works well.

The problem I have now is that the Kobo reader doesn't notice when new books are added. I have found a few different ways to work around the issue, but everything I found requires the user to tap the screen. For example, the Kobo-Mini-Wireless-Sync update.sh script does the following:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo usb plug add >>/tmp/nickel-hardware-status  # Simulate plugging in the usb
sleep 12 # Wait 12 sec for user to hit connect, and for any processes to run 
echo usb plug remove >>/tmp/nickel-hardware-status # Simulate the disconnect of our simulated usb, takes a few sec after the sleep for the change to show up on the device
# When the kobo detects USB connection, it seems to disable wifi, so only run the update after you are finished with uploading/downloading data
So basically, pretend something is plugged in, wait for the user to tap "Connect", then pretend-remove it. This works, but requires someone to tap the screen. If no one else is there, it won't work.

Other sites, for example this tutorial say that only the last line is necessary... It even suggests using /usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb with which i basically wiped the library (connecting through USB fixed that issue though).

There's also the refresh_library.sh trick from kobo-wget-sync that is basically to have a "virtual SD card", open and close it and notify Nickel that it's plugged in:

Code:
echo sd add /dev/mmcblk1p1 >> /tmp/nickel-hardware-status
The above command does nothing here. I also tried /dev/mmcblk1p3, the actual device that is on /mnt/onboard, but I suspect I am missing a key component of how the script works.

Finally, there's the Hacking SD card file system discussion which mentions all sorts of hacks on the sdcard, but it would require more research to see how we could use this as well.

I have also tried just calling the reboot command, but that doesn't trigger a refresh either.

Other solutions that were suggested in this thread:
  • Write directly to the Kobo SQLite database: considered out of scope and too risky - the format can change under us and we don't want to reimplement the builtin scanner
  • Simulate taps: would need to take a screenshot to figure out where the button is (yes, not always at the same spot!) and then figure out how to send taps to the input devices, see this discussion for more information
  • Use the web browser: already suggested by the Chabotsi tutorial, takes over the web browser and downloads only one book at a time, not a solution...

So. What's the proper, simple way to trigger a refresh programmatically, without restarting the kobo and without user intervention?

Thanks!

Last edited by anarcat; 01-31-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: integrate ideas from the thread
anarcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #2
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Currently, as far as I know, the only way for nickel to add new books is to connect to usb, safely disconnect, then nickel processes the content. Or maybe you have to "hack" the Kobo database, which has the potential risk of corrupting it and loosing your library. I'm also working on a project that can send content (books) to the Kobo over wifi, I'm trying to hack the built-in Sync and the Bookstore, but that also requires the user to interact with Kobo to get the content. Which is not really bad I think.
kido.resuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can download a book using the browser. This will add the book to the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can simulate the tap too, only problem is, the button appears at different coordinate for every device so you have to provide a config file where users can set the coordinate that works unless you want to somehow detect it by looking at the frame buffer itself (I attempted such a thing in my screensaver mod with scanline but it's not a great solution).

Or you could let the user tap the first time and then just replay the same tap in the future, that would work until a firmware update slightly moves the dialog. Then you still have to deal with this popup appearing only after some unknown delay...

It would be nice to find a simpler way, but I don't know of one. I think even the browser just runs an update for the specific book and not search for other ones.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
anarcat
Connoisseur

responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You can simulate the tap too, only problem is, the button appears at different coordinate for every device so you have to provide a config file where users can set the coordinate that works unless you want to somehow detect it by looking at the frame buffer itself (I attempted such a thing in my screensaver mod with scanline but it's not a great solution).

Or you could let the user tap the first time and then just replay the same tap in the future, that would work until a firmware update slightly moves the dialog. Then you still have to deal with this popup appearing only after some unknown delay...

It would be nice to find a simpler way, but I don't know of one. I think even the browser just runs an update for the specific book and not search for other ones.
That's really interesting. I know how I can take screenshots - but how do you simulate taps? That would seem to be a key component here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can download a book using the browser. This will add the book to the database.
That is not an option: I am running a program in the background and have no way to trigger the web browser. This is the approach taken by the Chabotsi tutorial, but only as a last resort. I don't like it so much: it means you can't actually use the browser for anything else anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
Currently, as far as I know, the only way for nickel to add new books is to connect to usb, safely disconnect, then nickel processes the content.
That is what I observed as well, but I was hoping people would prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
Or maybe you have to "hack" the Kobo database, which has the potential risk of corrupting it and loosing your library. I'm also working on a project that can send content (books) to the Kobo over wifi, I'm trying to hack the built-in Sync and the Bookstore, but that also requires the user to interact with Kobo to get the content. Which is not really bad I think.
Yeah, I'm not going to touch the DB directly, except maybe to read metadata, but never write. Too risky and I don't want to rewrite the whole Kobo software, just add to it.

So far I'm using the "wait for tap" approach. It's not so bad, because the process is actually interactive: the user needs to cycle the Wifi connection to trigger the sync anyways, so it's expected that *something* will show up..

Keep the suggestions coming, I'll update the OP with changes...
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
anarcat
Connoisseur

note: i ended up making a new thread about wallabako, but the conversation about triggering syncs should of course continue here. thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"Tshering" used to have a fmon script to simulate a USB connection and disconnect, that would make for a scan, to update the DB. You could check out how he did it for KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcat View Post
That's really interesting. I know how I can take screenshots - but how do you simulate taps? That would seem to be a key component here...
Either a program that talks touchscreen or recording them, I described it a little over here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3350658
Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
anarcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
"Tshering" used to have a fmon script to simulate a USB connection and disconnect, that would make for a scan, to update the DB. You could check out how he did it for KSM.

Luck;
Ken
that sounds like what the update.sh script does - does it require a user tap?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
kido.resuri
Groupie
kido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura aboutkido.resuri has a spectacular aura about

yes, it does
Old 01-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarcat View Post
that sounds like what the update.sh script does - does it require a user tap?
Yes, it does.
I remember faintly that I have seen another approach some years ago somewhere at this forum. I cannot remember the details, but it was about creating a virtual sd and downloading the books to this. If you mount the virtual sd nickel reads its contents and updates its library.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
anarcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Yes, it does.
I remember faintly that I have seen another approach some years ago somewhere at this forum. I cannot remember the details, but it was about creating a virtual sd and downloading the books to this. If you mount the virtual sd nickel reads its contents and updates its library.
that sounds a *lot* like the refresh-library.sh script from the wget-sync hooks... but i couldn't make head or tails of that thing...
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

if you use the virtual sd you are stuck with it though. library entries for sd card are different from those in internal memory. Of course I guess you could work with the database from there and remove the sdcard binding but... from my experience with autoshelf, nickel caches a lot of data and thus does not see the database changes until reboot. it's only, again, actual usb connection when it re-reads the database and thus my autoshelf mod also requires one additional connect-to-pc step :-/

Someone bribe a Kobo developer, give us an API for things
Old 01-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
kido.resuri
Groupie

Quote:
from my experience with autoshelf, nickel caches a lot of data and thus does not see the database changes until reboot.
That's bad news for my project also
Old 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
helour
Enthusiast
helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.helour got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Onyx M96, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Someone bribe a Kobo developer, give us an API for things
Look at gtalusan's source code here.
Maybe he can help.
helour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filesystem, hack, reload, sdcard