Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook
New Nook owner and couldn't be happier!

So I just got my new Nook yesterday, thanks to my husband, and I am totally in love after a day. I spent most of last night reading, and spent a luxurious morning in bed, reading a book I'd seen at the brick-and-mortar B&N and was excited to read (Mennonite in a Little Black Dress). Several of my friends and I have formed a 'network' to exchange books that we have, I've already tested out the lending feature, and I have enough to read for at least a week . (Joking...more like a month or two). I checked Overdrive and my local library participates, so I'll be checking out library books, too, as soon as I get a new card.

I researched the Nook vs. the Kindle vs. the Sony versions, and the Nook was easily my first choice. I love the touch screen (I'm so used to my iPhone that I keep trying to touch the reading screen, too ). I really like the size and ease of use, and my eyes didn't bother me at all after reading for several hours.

The only thing that I was a tiny bit disappointed with was the fact that I can't use my Membership card for B&N to purchase eBooks, but it's a small price to pay since we will still use it in-store when we buy books for my 3 year old son and for books I can't get in eBook format. I price-shopped between Amazon and B&N for books I was interested in, and I only saw a price difference in one or two of them - otherwise, they were all pretty much equal.

It's funny, I used to be one of those "I will NEVER get an eReader, I love my paper books way too much to stop buying them" folks, and now? I feel better about the trees I'm not killing, and we no longer have to overstuff the 8 bookshelves we have in our house (not to mention, the numerous boxes in storage because we moved into a smaller place a year ago).

So I guess this is my intro . (I'm Amanda, by the way). I've been lurking since yesterday, and you guys have been a wealth of knowledge, so thanks for that ,
Spatulachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Welcome Amanda!

Have you tried the Read In Store feature yet?

It's great to be able to sample almost any book for an hour in the store (you can come back the next day and pick up where you left off) - also there is currently a coupon for a Free Cup of Coffee and and one for 10% off.

You can't get that with Kindle or Sony...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Yeah welcome to the Nook world, it's great isn't it?

My wife and I are having so much fun with.
I too was like you and though I was going to be the worlds last holdout.

the nook really is just a fantastic device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
did you buy a cover yet? BN has some terrific styles as well as some great online dealers as well.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Yup, I got the Nook yesterday and loaded up a ton of books. Now I just have to find some time to read them!

I haven't found a cover I like yet.... but will probably settle with one of the B&N ones.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Spatulachic
Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Spatulachic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Musicman, yes, the first thing I did after getting it and charging it yesterday was go to the B&N store (I live literally 3 minutes away from one - leave my secluded neighborhood, and can cross the main road directly into the shopping center ). I didn't see any in-store coupons for anything, but I did buy a chai and pretzel, and spent about a half hour reading a book on my wish list. I think I'll be there as often as I can get away .

And yes, I do have a cover - my husband ordered one. It's an M-Edge Executive cover in purple (we got the Nook at Best Buy since we use our account to get reward points). However, I was drooling over the cute covers at the store. I like the M-Edge cover, although I've been taking the Nook out of it to read on the couch or in bed - it's just easier that way. So I may look into a thinner, lighter cover for home and keep that one for when I take it to work or traveling. I'm not allowed to fall in love with the $120 Kate Spade cover . I'd rather spend money on something like that than on a designer purse, however. .

Lastblade, I've been lucky this weekend - my husband has entertained the kiddo and let me read as much as possible. I'm hoping this may actually force me to take a lunch at work and read since we've been so busy that I've not been stopping for a real lunch . I hope you get some time to read!

So glad to be here with some other Nook lovers - I've already learned a ton from just reading these forums and I greatly appreciate it!
Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatulachic View Post
So I just got my new Nook yesterday, thanks to my husband, and I am totally in love after a day.
One would have hoped you'd be in love with him already...

afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
What a cheerful first post, Amanda. Good to have your happy company. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
Spatulachic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
One would have hoped you'd be in love with him already...

Yeah, he took about 6 years to fall in love with . (Friends first). The nook? Love at first sight .

Thanks, Neilmar! Being able to read a lot makes me cheerful . I've already finished 2 books, and am nearly done with a third. I read very quickly, and have read and re-read everything in the house several times (time to go to storage and switch out some books). Gotta get myself hooked up to the library system.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Rowen
Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Glad you like your Nook! I to recently got my Nook (It was a fathers day present) and my wife was so impressed with it that we went back 4 days later and got her one!

We both got a rather nice looking pleather (Plastic leather immatation) cover that not bad. Feels just like leather and has the quote on the front
Quote:
Literature is a luxury: fiction is a necessity.
Rowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Thanks for posting Amanda. I'm envious. One of these days I want to order a Nook, but it's going to have to wait awhile. Reading reports like yours makes me sure that it's the right device for me. Thanks!
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
arod2051
arod2051 began at the beginning.

Device: non
Congrats Amanda! I'm joining the club on Wednesday, when my Nook Wifi arrives. The crazy thing is the first thing I'm going to do is head over to B&N to explore a bit. Doesn't that sound so counter-intuitive in getting an ereader?

I'm hoping the fact that it's very single-purpose will help me to focus more on reading rather than get distracted by the interwebs. Luckily, I heard the browsing function is not the greatest experience.
arod2051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
We both got a rather nice looking pleather (Plastic leather immatation) cover that not bad. Feels just like leather and has the quote on the front
Quote:
Literature is a luxury: fiction is a necessity.
Nice... I actually really liked that cover, too (love that quote) but it's not in stock online...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #14
Shaz
Shaz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatulachic View Post
So I just got my new Nook yesterday...and I am totally in love after a day.
I'm right there with you!
Shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #15
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Nice... I actually really liked that cover, too (love that quote) but it's not in stock online...
I spent some time looking at the Nook earlier today online and out of the covers I think I like the Alice cover the best. I think it'd be neat if they had some others that reprinted a page from classic books. I'd like one with War of the Worlds.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote