Notices

View Poll Results: Will you pre-order a Kindle DX
Yes. 51 32.28%
No. 107 67.72%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Will you pre-order a Kindle DX? (poll)

Now that the word is out, question is, will you go ahead and pre-order a Kindle DX for yourself - or does it just not do it for you?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Since I read for pleasure and can use my laptop for any pdf files (or PDFRead or Savory on my Kindle 2), I can't justify buying the DX. I don't need it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I am going to have to wait and see if I can get it cheaper with a long term subscription to the times or something like that...
it is tempting as hell though
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
hmmmmm..... tempting!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I just preordered it!!!

Will cost me $540 including the leather cover (which is quite expensive) but I'll probably be able to sell my Kindle 1 for at least $100, so it'll be $440.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Already did, with the cover and the 2-year warranty.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I would love one for me but I can't justify paying for a second device. But all of a sudden I am quite interested in perhaps buying one for one of my daughters who will be graduating next year and probably heading to graduate school. Perhaps as an early graduation gift?

On the other hand, if Apple releases an iSlate (whatever) this fall but I've already bought her a Kindle DX instead, she would probably be pretty disappointed. Guess I'll have to wait.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I'll pass. I recently picked up, and enjoy, the Kindle 2; the smaller size (and lower price ) suits me better.

However, if the display is good enough for a text book and the price drops a little bit, I think it will be a great device. Even if the DX is a bit ahead of its time, putting textbooks onto an e-reader is a fantastic idea.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Ordered it as soon as Bezos took the stage. They let the link loose a little early. I'll pick up the warranty but I'm going to shop around for some cases.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
I just bought my Kindle 2 early April. Why would I jump at this so soon?
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Return it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzilla View Post
I just bought my Kindle 2 early April. Why would I jump at this so soon?
I had the same issue but I was still within the return window so i just rma'd it back to Amazon
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Nope, happy with my K2 and it fits in my purse! For college students, though, I think it may be a nice appliance, though spendy!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I already pre-ordered.

I'm so glad I didn't upgrade to the K2 because then I too would have had a hard time justifying getting both.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There are several reasons why I did not preorder.
- Amazon does not want my money and they do not allow me to buy one (I am not from USA)
- I will wait for the first hands-on reviews
- I will wait for more information (*)
- I do not have a credit card ;-)

(*)
- is the display on glass substrate or plastic?
- can I switch off the autorotation feature and rotate the display manually? Everybody that has ever tried to read in bed will understand why.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Preordered with the warranty (don't like the black case the color not the case itself). I'm very excited to have a device for using PDFs with a long battery life.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote