Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
jbee
jbee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Windows explorer failure

When I try to manipulate a directory created by Calibre using the Windows (xp) gui, I get a failure of windows explorer message which requires a restart.

I discover this when I decided to reinstall 0.5.2 completely cleanly and had to remove the calibre library location to do this.

Even after a 'clean start', the program left un-maniputable files.

This problem also seems to stop Perfect Disk from optimizing the disk 'offline'.

Directory filenames too long?

Oh, and there should be a 'realy, realy, realy, remove option from the uninstall.
jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow, I'm not really sure how that can be calibre's fault. What is the failure? Is there any error message? Anything on your application log?

Generally, if windows lets calibre create the folders and files they are legal file names.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
jbee

Bob,

Before I go log diving, what happens if you right click your Calibre ebook folder...with Calibre closed of course.?

That's what causes my crash.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
jbee

The application log says its an 'application error, event id 1000' and then
faultin application explorer.exe,version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module kernel32.dll,version 5.1.2600.5512,fault address 0x0000a92b
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
disk corruption?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbee View Post
Before I go log diving, what happens if you right click your Calibre ebook folder...with Calibre closed of course.?

That's what causes my crash.
I don't have calibre on my Windows PC, but on my Mac. But, I can be pretty sure that I would get a shortcut menu.

BOb
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The application log says its an 'application error, event id 1000' and then
faultin application explorer.exe,version 6.0.2900.5512, faulting module kernel32.dll,version 5.1.2600.5512,fault address 0x0000a92b
Something is not right. Does that only happen if you right click on the calibre folder?

BOb
Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't have calibre on my Windows PC, but on my Mac. But, I can be pretty sure that I would get a shortcut menu.

BOb

You are correct. I get a list
open
open to file location
run as administrator
scan
pin to start menu
add to quick launch
send to
cut
copy
create shortcut
delete
rename
properties
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
jbee

Oooops, apologies to all. Its not just on the calibre directories. Those were the only ones I was working with. I'll dig further. Maybe its something that has modified my right click menu.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Oooops, apologies to all. Its not just on the calibre directories. Those were the only ones I was working with. I'll dig further. Maybe its something that has modified my right click menu.
We'd be interested in learning what you find out..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
jbee

Here's the story

Windows XP SP3, in December, broke a few shells....one of which I had, a program called Better Rename. I wasn't really using it, so removing it, solved my right click problem. But they have an updated version for those who care. It seems that another program PowerDesk, which I never used, had a similar problem.

My right click problem was there since December but never manifested itself in my normal workflow.

Perhaps more interesting is the tool need to debug the shell problem. Its free and called shellexview and can be gotten at http://www.nirsoft.net

You can see all the shellextensions; disable them without rebooting, and find the problem by trial and error. I sorted by manufacturer and then started turning off non MS extensions in groups, until I found the culprit.

Thanks for listening.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can see all the shellextensions; disable them without rebooting, and find the problem by trial and error. I sorted by manufacturer and then started turning off non MS extensions in groups, until I found the culprit.

Good job.

BOb