Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
jrothra
jrothra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Doesn't Maintain Outlines when Converting to eBook (e.g., MOBI)

I created the book in MS Word and followed guides I found online that showed how to strip formatting then use the "Styles" to edit the look (margins, indent, etc.).

I created a style for lists. In this case, the list is an outline:

1. Point
a. Subpoint
b. Subpoint
2. Point 2
a. Subpoint 2
b. Subpoint 2
To get the subpoints indented, I clicked on the "Indent" button (I didn't use TAB).

To add complexity, this outline is a blockquote, so I've got the "Style" setup as a Quote with a list. I then used the Indent button on the subpoints.

However, when I convert it to MOBI, it changes ignores the Quote formatting and turns the outline to full flush left as follows:

1. Point
1. Subpoint
2. Subpoint
2. Point
1. Subpoint
2. Subpoint

Here are screen shots to show you (the image dimensions are pretty large so I'll just link to them).

Here's how it looks in MS Word: https://www.johnrothra.com/wp-conten...05/1X-Word.jpg

Here's how it turns out as viewed on the Kindle for PC: https://www.johnrothra.com/wp-conten.../1X-Kindle.jpg

As you can see by the smaller font size, it's supposed to be a blockquote. For reference, here's a blockquote paragraph that worked fine (Kindle view): https://www.johnrothra.com/wp-conten...1X-Kindle2.jpg

Also, here are my settings for the Style used for the Quote with list (I have a style for quotes, and the only difference is I added list formatting):

Settings for "Quote With List"
Indent:
Left: 0.85"
Hanging: 0.25"
Line spacing: single, Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style, Numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, … + Start at: 1 + Alignment: Right + Aligned at: 0.85" + Indent at: 1.1", Style: Linked, Show in the Styles gallery
Based on: Quote

Settings for "Quote"
Font: Georgia, Indent:
Left: 0.6"
Right: 0.6", Space
Before: 10 pt, Style: Linked, Automatically update, Show in the Styles gallery, Priority: 30
Based on: Normal
Following style: Normal

Last edited by jrothra; 05-10-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Embedded images distorted the thread due to large size.
jrothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to AZW3 not MOBI, MOBI is an absolete format that does not have support for a lot of things.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #3
jrothra
jrothra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tried that but my Kindle for PC doesn't read it, and I have the latest version.
jrothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothra View Post
I tried that but my Kindle for PC doesn't read it, and I have the latest version.
Yes it does, but the BIG 'a' made it difficult (the menu allow PDF only)

I first dropped the AZW3 file into the MyKindle Content folder (with the K4PC NOT RUNNING)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote