Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 03:19 PM   #16
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Exhalation by Ted Chiang, this publication 2014, story written 2008. I am a fan of almost anything by Ted Chiang.

Wooden Feathers by Ursula Vernon (also published under the name T. Kingfisher in a story collection called Jackalope Wives & Other Stories). Again, I am a fan of almost anything by Kingfisher/Vernon, links to more shorts here.
I listened to the Chiang while doing some rote work and realized I had read it before. I read Wooden Feathers at lunch and found it delightful.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #17
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (originally a short story, made into a novel later)

The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt (originally a short story, made into a novel later)

Alien Earth by Edmond Hamilton
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:15 AM   #18
Parsley
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Cat Pictures Please by Naomi Kritzer
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:23 PM   #19
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Last rung of the ladder, by Stephen King
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 04:51 AM   #20
BlueLion1
BlueLion1 began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber 6.14
PlasticPaperTree: The Loss - struggling with loss

captainkodak1: She misses him - A short story about Alzheimer. Diese Kurzgeschichte wurde inspiriert von dem Lied "She misses him" von Tim Rushlow

Technomad: Career, a Hunger Games story - The thoughts and viewpoint of a Career Tribute in the Hunger Games, a few games before Katniss' entry. Is a Career Tribute a monster---or someone who, in the end, had no more choice about what lay ahead than Katniss did?

Last edited by BlueLion1; 03-11-2023 at 05:17 AM.
BlueLion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:23 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Two titles immediately come to mind, because I love them:

1) Goodbye, My Brother - John Cheever
2) The Beast in the Jungle - Henry James

The James' title is more a novella than a short story.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-11-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:36 AM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
The Last Question, by Isaac Asimov.

Thank you for this, added to my wishlist!
Listened to this during my "prep for the day" time this morning. Thanks for the rec!
Old 04-16-2023, 02:27 PM   #23
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Well, maybe too much a classic, but....

The Tell-Tale Heart, by Edgar Allan Poe
https://poemuseum.org/the-tell-tale-heart/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvADdNkIhmI
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For cat lovers, Jeffery Farnol's Cat Luck: https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20191032/html.php

He's in life+70 but this book doesn't appear to be in the library. The story linked above can be read online: just open the html version.

Last edited by BookCat; 04-16-2023 at 04:39 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:40 PM   #25
drvenom
drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drvenom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I love short stories, two of my favorite are:

Pet Milk by Stuart Dybek

And

Cathedral by Raymond Carver
drvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #26
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvenom View Post
I love short stories, two of my favorite are:

Pet Milk by Stuart Dybek

And

Cathedral by Raymond Carver
Cathedral is excellent!
Old 05-04-2023, 10:11 PM   #27
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Really enjoy the short stories of Denis Johnson.

The Largesse of the Sea Maiden by Denis Johnson from the collection of the same name
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #28
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
I picked up a collection of Robert Sheckley shorts on the strength of one of them (the titular Citizen in Space) having received a Hugo nomination back in the 50s. Many of the stories show their age a bit in one way or another, but the one I liked best, even more than the Hugo nominee, was Ask a Foolish Question, available for free via Project Gutenberg.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
I picked up a collection of Robert Sheckley shorts on the strength of one of them (the titular Citizen in Space) having received a Hugo nomination back in the 50s. Many of the stories show their age a bit in one way or another, but the one I liked best, even more than the Hugo nominee, was Ask a Foolish Question, available for free via Project Gutenberg.
I opened this to read it and realized I had read it before, long ago. Thanks for jogging the memory!
Old 07-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #30
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I expect you have already tried Alice Munro's short stories, but just in case you haven't, I thought I'd mention them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote