Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #1
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Who or what do you read when you have Kindle Unlimited?

Who are the authors you turn to when you have Kindle Unlimited? What are some of your recommendations for books or authors on KU?

Here are some of the main authors I read when I have it.

Sarina Dorie - She mainly writes fantasy mystery romances in an adult Harry Potter vein, and she also writes some science fiction. I started with her Womby's School for Wayward Witches series, which followed a young woman who starts teaching art in a magic school after learning she is the daughter of an infamous wicked witch. I've also read various sequels and prequels to this series, which follow other characters introduced in the series.

Charlie N. Holmberg - She writes fantasy books with romance in them. I started with The Paper Magician series, which used a materials based magic system. While these took place in a fantasy version of the real world, some of her novels take place in fantasy worlds, such as Star Mother and its sequel Star Father.

Amy Harmon - She writes romances that focus more on character development and not so much on sexuality. As a male reader, I hadn't read much in the way of romance until I had started reading the fantasy romance novels of Dorie and Holmberg. To try out more of a realistic romance novel, I read Harmon's Making Faces, a beauty and the beast type of story in which a girl falls in love a boy who comes back from war disfigured. I then read some more of her books. Some had supernatural elements. I recently read What the Wind Knows, in which an Irish-American woman went back in time to Ireland in the early 20th century and became a mother to her orphaned grandfather, who had himself raised her. I'm currently reading The Queen and the Cure, a sequel to The Bird and the Sword. Both are high fantasy novels set in a world in which some people have special powers.

Dennis E. Taylor - He is a retired computer programmer who writes science fiction novels. His best known series is the Bobiverse series, which is about a self-replicating A.I. that explores the galaxy with space probes. The A.I. is based on the mind of an engineer from the early 20th century named Bob, and each new A.I. has Bob's memories and personality but with some variation on the latter. I recently read his latest novel Roadkill, in which a man hits an invisible alien with his truck, and I recently read his first novel Outland, in which some college kids create a portal to another earth shortly before Yellowstone explodes. I liked how he had multiple characters with different skill sets and personalities that complemented each other and how I could easily keep track of who everyone was.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:04 PM   #2
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Hello,

I am doing a 3 months trial, but it seems pretty thin. I had a lot of misses, paint-by-numbers fantasy and such. Also Bobiverse stopped being interesting in the middle of #1 for me. Marko Kloos Frontline series is solid, though.

cu Andreas

Last edited by ametzler; 02-11-2023 at 01:16 AM.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:49 AM   #3
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I read a lot of Star Trek literary fiction and there's a lot of it on KU.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #4
whiteroseuk
whiteroseuk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis
If you like Science Fiction/ Urban Fantasy I can recommend Michael Anderle. You start off with the Kurtherian Gambit Series, and then that branches out with various other authors in collaboration. People like Craig Martelle, and many others. There are hundreds of books to choose from, and a facebook page with reading lists etc.
whiteroseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
If you liked Outland, then you might like the James S. Peet "The Corps of Discovery" trilogy. That's on KU. Also "The Wild Side" by Steven Gould is somewhat like Outland (but Gould is not on KU).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Many lite Christian fiction authors have their books in KU. While not great works of fiction, it works for me when I'm sewing or working around the house. I use speak screen from my iPhone to listen to them. They are also perfect for before bed harmless reading.

Popular themes are Mail Order Brides, Amish, Protection/Crime/Witness Protection, Wagon Train stories. Most have HEA as the dependable end, many are series, with a group of same characters.

I'll have to look up author names, I don't pay them much mine unless I hit on a really horrible writer.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:36 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Horror, Mysteries - Cozies and Thrillers, Children's Books when in mood, random Non-Fiction, lesser finds but sometimes general drama, classics, and popular fiction.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
The quality of Richard Nell's Ash and Sand trilogy was a positive surprise.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Pilgrimage narratives. They're mostly not very good, but the huge advantage is that there are destinations other than Compostela including non-Christian pilgrimages.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote