Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 AM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Cooking wine is vile stuff that's sold as a grocery and while it's already unpalatable, the addition of salt makes it unpotable.

In my state wine is a grocery anyway, so there's no need to sink to those depths.
As Chef Justin use to say, "Never cook with something you won't drink (glug, glug, glug)". [Justin Wilson, that is. He was the Cajun chef who use to have a show on the cooking channel. Died in 2001. Look his shows up on youtube, they are great.]
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #47
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I thought Shaoxing was traditionally drunk before the meal, never tried mirin.
Nobody drinks mirin in Japan, it's only for cooking. Less alcohol and more sugar than sake. There is cooking sake also, but nobody drinks it.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #48
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I thought Shaoxing was traditionally drunk before the meal, never tried mirin.

You don't need grapes, in the UK we make wine the way the french make food - if it can't get out of the bucket, it's fair game.

Dandelion, Nettle & Elderberry are popular homebrews, a mate of mine used to make Rhubarb wine, well, Rhubarb paint stripper.
We have everything you mentioned except maybe Nettle wine. I am not sure it is the same on both sides of the pond. Ok same nettle. I found several links to Nettle tea.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
As Chef Justin use to say, "Never cook with something you won't drink (glug, glug, glug)". [Justin Wilson, that is. He was the Cajun chef who use to have a show on the cooking channel. Died in 2001. Look his shows up on youtube, they are great.]
He was originally on PBS. Long before they had actual cooking channels. I remember watching him as a kid. Before, anyone asks yes I have his cookbooks.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He was originally on PBS. Long before they had actual cooking channels. I remember watching him as a kid. Before, anyone asks yes I have his cookbooks.
yep. I have one of his cookbooks as well. He cooked the way my grandmother cooked. I don't think she owned a measuring cup or measuring spoons. She always went with "that looks about right".
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
yep. I have one of his cookbooks as well. He cooked the way my grandmother cooked. I don't think she owned a measuring cup or measuring spoons. She always went with "that looks about right".
I guar an tee it was good. Sorry, hard to type a Cajun accent.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #52
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
When I cook with wine I use a wine that tastes good to me. If I do not like the taste of a wine I am drinking, why would I enjoy it cooked into my food?
Apache
Ah, there speaks the real "craftsman." He knows his tools' purposes, and he knows his own purpose.

Confucius: “He that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #53
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Ah, there speaks the real "craftsman." He knows his tools' purposes, and he knows his own purpose.

Confucius: “He that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Don't get me started on tools. I am a bench jeweler and love and horde tools. I also will make a tool if I need one and do not have it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #54
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Lockers, some lower prices and Prime discounts coming to Whole foods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...iscount-2017-8
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #55
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I guar an tee it was good. Sorry, hard to type a Cajun accent.
I'm pretty sure Cajuns speak with hyphens already inserted.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Lockers, some lower prices and Prime discounts coming to Whole foods.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...iscount-2017-8
A nice glass-is-half-full article.

Some half empty ones:

"Whole Foods' New Store That Sells Cheap Food Will Probably Be Killed by Amazon"

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/2d8e4c2b...tore-that.html

"How Amazon Might Crush the Lives of Most Whole Foods Employees"

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428...employees.html
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #57
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A nice glass-is-half-full article.

Some half empty ones:

"Whole Foods' New Store That Sells Cheap Food Will Probably Be Killed by Amazon"

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/2d8e4c2b...tore-that.html

"How Amazon Might Crush the Lives of Most Whole Foods Employees"

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428...employees.html
"MIGHT" and "COULD" aren't "WILL". All employees of any company that is sold face this problem. I've faced it, and I'm sure others have too.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #58
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Am I the only one who misread the topic as Amazon buys 430 B&N"? I thought this was going to be a thread about Amazon taking over Barnes & Noble stores.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
"MIGHT" and "COULD" aren't "WILL". All employees of any company that is sold face this problem. I've faced it, and I'm sure others have too.
Been there done that 3 times.
The funny ones to me are "we are being bought out, must quit now because it won't be the same."
Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #60
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Am I the only one who misread the topic as Amazon buys 430 B&N"? I thought this was going to be a thread about Amazon taking over Barnes & Noble stores.
Well, personally, I think any move Amazon makes is a valid topic for General discussions forum. They are such a major player in media, that the Whole Foods purchase may well have an effect on how eBooks (and readers) get marketed, not to mention other media products and services. The typical young, well heeled, tech savvy consumer that uses Whole Foods market, just might find it convenient to do business with Amazon via Whole Foods at a Kiosk.