Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Bookpossum Vote • June 2017

Help us select what the MR Literary Club will read in June 2017!

The options this month are courtesy of our rotating nominator, Bookpossum.

Voting will run for four days. The vote will close exactly four days from this post; even if the final tally doesn't occur immediately after voting closes, no votes made after that time will count.

Votes will be made by post. Each person has SEVEN votes to use.

You may give each nominee one or two (or no) votes. You may vote all at once in one post or vote in separate posts at different times, so long as you have more votes remaining to cast. You may use any number of your possible votes up to the maximum. Any extraneous votes per person (past their maximum or more than two for one nominee) won't count. Votes cannot be changed once they are cast.

The rotating nominator may not vote. Once voting is complete, the count will be tallied and a winner declared. In the event of a tie, there will be a one-day run-off vote, also in this thread. If the run-off also ends in a tie, then the tie will be resolved by the nominator.

We hope that you will read the selection with the club and join in the discussion.

The floor is now open!

Voting is closed. Final results-
  • Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
    Post / Goodreads / 272 Pages / Votes- 7

• Possession by A.S. Byatt
    Post / Goodreads / 549 Pages / Votes- 6

• Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene
    Post / Goodreads / 262 Pages / Votes- 5

• Le Testament Français by Andreï Makine
    Post / Goodreads / 309 Pages / Votes- 4

• Dream Stuff by David Malouf
    Post / Goodreads / 215 Pages / Votes- 2

• Friend of My Youth by Alice Munro
    Post / Goodreads / 280 Pages / Votes- 2

• The Mystic Masseur by V.S. Naipaul
    Post / Goodreads / 215 Pages / Votes- 6

• That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx
    Post / Goodreads / 410 Pages / Votes- 1

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's difficult because I like most choices close to equally, but votes have to be made so I'll start by giving-

2 to Lucky Jim
2 to The Mystic Masseur
Advert
Old 06-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll begin with 2 votes for Possession. It sounds a perfect choice for a literary book club. ��
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I believe that in the US (and perhaps the same may be true of other countries) the published title for Le Testament Francais is Dreams of My Russian Summers. And, yes, there is an ebook available.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I believe that in the US (and perhaps the same may be true of other countries) the published title for Le Testament Francais is Dreams of My Russian Summers. And, yes, there is an ebook available.
Thanks, Bookworm_Girl; that's a good heads up. Bookpossum did note the other title but I only moved the main title she gave over here for the vote to keep the voting totals area more streamlined and consistent.
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
A great selection of authors that I've been wanting to read. Thanks for the motivation! Here are my votes.

Lucky Jim - 1

Possession - 2

Le Testament Français / Dreams of My Russian Summers - 2

The Mystic Masseur - 2
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Possession - 2 votes
Dream Stuff - 2 votes
The Mystic Masseur - 2 votes
Friend of My Youth - 1 vote
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'll finish out my votes by showing love to-

Travels with My Aunt - 1 vote
Friend of My Youth - 1 vote
That Old Ace in the Hole - 1 vote

We currently have a tie for first with a day left; if it's still that way around this time tomorrow then I'll start a run-off.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Lucky Jim - 2 (one of my favorite funny books of all time)
Travels with My Aunt - 2
Dreams of My Russian Summers - 2
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:08 AM   #10
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll add 2 forLucky Jim

and

2 for Travels With my Aunt.

I'll save my last vote.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 06-05-2017 at 02:53 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is now closed. The tie wasn't broken but another, Lucky Jim, came from behind to win. Lucky indeed! Bookpossum will have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It's up, and you can find it here
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote