Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks so much for this information and the various links, Bookworm_Girl. The book by Emma Larkin sounds very interesting indeed and I shall see if I can get hold of it. I have yet to read the various linked articles you found, but they certainly sound interesting as well.

Thanks again!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The only Orwell I'd read before this was Animal Farm, which I liked much better. Maybe his biting writing works better in a more fantastical story?

Besides the unsavoury cast of characters, I just thought it was often boring, though the ending picked up. The ending was half of what saved the book for me; the other half was that everyone was taken to task in this book, the British and the Burmese alike. The 'noble savage' trope can be very irritating but it's not on display here. Orwell even made sure to show the good doctor's weakness- his sycophantic love of the British and his feeling that his own countrymen were less than.

It did seem somewhat unrealistic to have so many terrible people on all sides in that one little place, but after I thought on it more I'm not so sure. I think the spread of good and bad people in the world is not even, and that's even assuming anyone would agree on exactly what is good and bad or drawing strict lines that could place people on one side or the other. But anyway, I think my point still stands. People seem to expect every location to have the same share of good and bad people as they're used to, but I think it's more erratic than that; sometimes a place may have a larger share of 'good' people and sometimes a place may be filled with 'bad' people just by chance. And there's also the fact that a person can be good at one point and bad at another, and that the society around a person can influence how they act, so a location with a bad influence can encourage people to act worse in general.

So looking at the small town in Burmese Days, there are some unsalvageable characters such as U Po Kyin or Verrall, but there are others that seem terrible in the book but, if they were real people, probably have good qualities and intentions that were overlooked or set aside for this story, such as all three of the Lackersteens. Even so, this small town just by chance might be one of those especially 'bad' spots, although admittedly Orwell meant to eviscerate the entirety of the concept of British imperial rule in Burma by means of this one town.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Nineteen Eighty-Four is still my favorite Orwell novel.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #19
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
The only Orwell I'd read before this was Animal Farm, which I liked much better. Maybe his biting writing works better in a more fantastical story?
I have read (albeit quite some time back) and enjoyed both 1984 and Animal Farm and thought the same thing, as you have suggested, while reading Burmese Days. In their unreal frames exaggeration (e.g. animals that talk ) is no problem to me. In the semi-autobiographical frame coupled with closely paralleling actual historic events and societies I found his exaggerated writing did not work and came across as the work of a troubled man having a rant.

I also wondered if his change to the later fantastical style came about because he had a change of mind to believing his propaganda was better handled that way?

I had not read Forster's Passage to India for some decades and really only recalled the story line, so I have just finished rereading it to see how he handled things. Putting aside that he was not into heavy propaganda as Blair was, Forster's book was in my view the far superior read and he appeared to me to be at some pain to represent the customs and societies of both the colonized and the colonizers in a fairer manner, and present them both as being slaves, as we all are, to those things. Whereas, in my view, Blair made his characters slaves to his propaganda and troubled mind. Perhaps Forster was at an advantage in that as far as I can make out he was a far more travelled and more worldly wise man than Blair was?

Last edited by AnotherCat; 05-15-2017 at 07:09 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote