Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
trainboy
trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Coming Next Month: Three E.B. White Classics Will Be Released as Ebooks For the First

From AP (via infoDOCKET):

"HarperCollins announced Wednesday that “Charlotte’s Web,” “Stuart Little” and “The Trumpet of the Swan” can be purchased as e-books starting March 17. White’s granddaughter Martha White told The Associated Press that family members had worried electronic sales would hurt business for their preferred format, paper."
trainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Wish they had done this when my children were younger! Letting them grow up has hurt sales in the family's less preferred format - digital!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A vender who doesn't pay attention to their CUSTOMER'S prefererences is an idiot. And probably a poor one.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Actually, for some reason, kids seem to prefer dead tree to ebooks. Seems somewhat counter intuitive but several studies show it, as well as ebook sales in that age category. I noticed it with my niece and nephew when they were that age as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Actually, for some reason, kids seem to prefer dead tree to ebooks. Seems somewhat counter intuitive but several studies show it, as well as ebook sales in that age category. I noticed it with my niece and nephew when they were that age as well.
I've noticed this as well. It may have something to do with the act of picking the books - In my experience, it seems as if it's easier for children to pick out books if they can hold them in their hands. I'm not saying that this is true for all children, but for the ones that I've been around for the past 5 years or so, it is.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy View Post
White’s granddaughter Martha White told The Associated Press that family members had worried electronic sales would hurt business for their preferred format, paper."
Or perhaps Harper Collins were previously offering them terrible terms for the ebook rights and she was saving face for HC.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm only familiar with him as a co-author of the well known English-language style guide "The Elements of Style", where he is the "White" of "Strunk and White".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm only familiar with him as a co-author of the well known English-language style guide "The Elements of Style", where he is the "White" of "Strunk and White".
Really? I thought Charlotte's Web was well-known here in the UK. I certainly remember it fondly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm surprised as well. I thought everyone knew Charlotte's Web. We were read it by our teacher in elementary school.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Really? I thought Charlotte's Web was well-known here in the UK. I certainly remember it fondly.
I must have missed that one, and I'm rather a fan of children's books. I'll have to read it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should definitely read it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'd imagine it's because young children are very tactile in their approach to the world. They want to touch, smell, taste everything as a means of learning about their environment. You can't do a lot of that with an ebook file.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #13
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
My kids prefer a mix of ebook and paper book. The old Sony devices are holding up quite nicely to frequent loading of library ebooks, and my oldest, who read 28 e-books the week of a snowstorm, is happily reading Harry Potter 1 in hardcover draped on my left leg while I type this.

My youngest loves bedtime reading some of the picture books I've grabbed for a $1 on Amazon, but has a huge bookcase he picks from throughout the week.

It doesn't have to be either-or.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
When I was a kid I'd sign up for the book reading program every summer. If you met your goal of # of books read by the end of the summer you got a certificate of achievement and a voucher for one of the books that the library was culling from its collection. I always ended up reading more than the # that I'd guessed that I'd read. If I said 100 it would be 125 or even 150. Of course the kids books were a bit thinner than most paperbacks I have among my collection now. It is good that some of Mr. White's books are coming out in ebook format. If they aren't too expensive maybe I'll pick up some of them.

Last edited by crich70; 02-06-2015 at 10:11 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
This is great news! My son is getting to the point where is likes a nice mix of paper and electronic books. This is a great time for him to start reading these classic childhood stories.

He already has quite a few books loaded on his Sony Reader and a couple of full bookshelves in his room to choose from. Until he hit the 'chapter book' level he had a decided preference to paper books, the colourful pictures were a big draw I think.

I think paper books are always going to be a big part of childhood for a few reasons. My son loves to carry around his favourite books and show them off, the pictures are much brighter and for the younger ages they add tactile aspects to the books, also it's important to have no screen time at bedtime to keep the stimulation levels down.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote