Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #271
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Just speaking for myself, the posts were a bit long and complicated, especially since I was traveling, so I put them off until now when I had some extra time. Although I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that we appreciate all of the thought that both of you put into taking care of the club details!

My preference is for variety like our normal months. I would miss some of our typical categories. I'm not that excited about finishing out all of the Region options at once.

I am planning to volunteer for one of the rotating months coming up. I was just waiting to allow others their chance since I went near the end of the last cycle.

I hope that helps! Thanks again for your coordination of the group!
It's great to hear from you, Bookworm_Girl and happy travels! I'm certainly fine with only Bookpossum and I putting in our thoughts on club structure as that's not really the meat of the club so I know others may not want to worry about it as much, but still it does leave one (or two, heh) wondering what the others are thinking, or at least hoping they like what we're suggesting well enough.

As with fantasyfan last year, your post came a slight bit late as we've just embarked on our course of action, but I think your preferences will be addressed with the plan we're using regardless. Normal years have six rotating months and have always included at least one Region and one Time Period, leaving only four 'other' months at most for variety. It depends on how many people nominate a category during our upcoming nominations but my guess is we'll end up with anywhere between 2-6 non-Rotating/Region/Time Period categories so either way not that far off from other years, and perhaps even exactly the same or there's even the chance of more variety than a normal year.

Personally, I'm not specifically advocating for more Region or Time Period this upcoming year per se but only wanted to give us a more flexible frame as we fill up the slots in case others do (or don't) want extras of those. The special way we're doing it this year is more 'letting the chips fall where they may' so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #272
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks from me too Bookworm_Girl. There's always the danger that sun surfer and I can get too caught up in trying to work out how best to do something, and finish up not seeing the wood for the proverbial trees.

And thanks for foreshadowing that you will be up for one of the Rotating Nomination months.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #273
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With the categories now chosen by the nomination thread and with the new year starting very soon, it's time to post the category list for the year:

July- Open
August- Rotating (Spinnenmonat)
September- Biographies & Memoirs
October- Rotating (Bookworm_Girl)
November- Time Period
December- Rotating (sun surfer)
January- Youth Fiction
February- Region
March- Non-Fiction
April- Region
May- Time Period Finale
June- Region Finale

It was a pretty straightforward affair to slot. After the three Rotating, the single categories were given the same months they had in recent years and the one new incoming category was given the one outgoing category's month. Time Period was given its usual month and the one half a year away from that, and the three Region the three vacant Rotating. While that may seem close it should be noted that there will be an almost year and a half break (November 2015 to February 2017) between our last Region and the next and each will consist of a different focus.

This means we will start our new year off with Open for July. So, does all of this look good? I'm looking forward to our next year of enlightening reads and discussions.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #274
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Overall I think the categories nomination process went really well this year. It was created for this special year but I can see it working well in regular years too. Since other years would probably have a set number of slots to fill (e.g. six), we'd need to do it in rounds, though only one may be necessary. Each round would, similar to this year, allot one nomination per member. If a round ends with less categories than needed to fill all months, then they are all automatically given months and a new round begins to fill the other months. If a round ends with the exact amount needed to fill all months, then they are all given months and nominations are complete. If a round ends with more than needed to fill all months, then we have a vote on that round's nominations to determine which fills the remaining months and then nominations are complete. It seems like a simple, effective and fun way to allow all members have an equal say in the themes we'll be focusing on for a year. If nothing else changes during the year then let's use that as our next categories nominations process, yes?

Also, I want to bring up the length of time for our monthly votes. Votes used to last three days, but when we changed to voting by post we increased it to four days to make sure everyone had enough time. We could go back to three days for the votes to decide our selection and thus get to reading one day earlier.

What do you think? It might be nice to have a day more for our monthly selection but it's just a thought as I really don't mind between three or four day votes; if you'd rather keep it four that's fine. Any silence I'll take as assent/ambivalence (I realise not everyone is worried over minor administrative details like this).
Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #275
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

(Moved here from another thread-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Thanks for all you do to keep the club running smoothly, sun surfer!

Somewhere you asked about length of time for voting, but I don't remember where. I like 4 days because it gives more people a chance for the time period to spread over the weekend.
Good enough for me then; we'll leave it at four days.
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #276
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'm updating the first post in this thread with monthly guidelines. I'm in the process of working on it (it may take awhile), so at present the guidelines there may look like a big blob of text until I do some tidying since I'm adding in guidelines for all the different types of threads and categories.

My plan (implemented now, many years after I came up with it, heh, but better late than never) is to condense the info in the first posts of new threads, especially the nominations and voting threads, to only the essentials, with anyone who'd like more detailed guidelines able to peruse them in that post. I'll continue on as normal for December to finish out the rotating cycle and the year the same way, and then I'll begin with the condensed first posts in January.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #277
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing your plan. Sounds great!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #278
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I haven't tidied up the first post much yet so anyone looking for the guidelines there may be in for an expedition, but as I mentioned starting in the previous post I'm now only posting the guideline essentials in the nominations and voting threads.

Also, fantasyfan proposed an interesting idea to me: 'to have a thread linked to the club in which we pass on interesting literary reading experiences we might be having outside the current choice'. With his permission I'm posting it here and I think it's a great idea to try. Anyone else have thoughts about it?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #279
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I think it is a great idea to have a thread where we can share literary book recommendations.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #280
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
In fact, a discussion of some of the books I mentioned in that last “longish” post I wrote for the club would fit nicely into such a thead.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:08 AM   #281
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I'll start a thread for that soon- do any of you have any good thread title ideas for it?

Also, as I mentioned doing last month, I've changed nomination voting from three days to four. I know we'd discussed it some time ago and decided to keep it at three but there seems good enough cause to at least try it out with four and see how it goes.

(And don't miss the one-day region vote happening now!)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #282
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi folks,
I thought I would add to the general discussion. I have been reading Philip Pullman’s Grimm Tales: For Young and Old. I have downloaded the ebook with its Audible companion. This edition is edited and with an introduction by Pullman. He has chosen fifty of the 210 tales collected by the Brothers Grimm over several editions in the 18th century.

The Brothers Grimm collected the tales as ”a cultural treasure”of German folklore and did not intend them to be read by children. When this became evident, the brothers sanitised the stories in the later editions. What Pullman has done is to present his selection in a translation that doesn’t shy away from the more gruesome aspects of the stories. In fairy tales the good are good and the bad are unforgivably bad. Thus, the latter are imaginatively punished with no holds barred. The wicked mother who tries to burn the Princess alive gets the following sentence in “ The Twelve Brothers”:

”But then it was the old woman’s turn to be accused, and the court had no problem in finding her guilty. She was put into a barrel filled with poisonous snakes and boiling oil, and she didn’t last long after that.”

Stories with unhappy endings may end with an ironic shrug. The story of the cat and the mouse in partnership ends with the mouse being eaten up. The last lines of the story are:

”Well, what else did you expect? That’s just the sort of thing that happens in this world.”

Pullman’s introduction is excellent, filled with the insights of a fine author. He adds end notes to each tale in which he gives the tale type, the source, and any other material he finds relevant.

The Audible edition is also very well done. Pullman himself reads the introduction and Samuel West does a quite brilliant reading of the tales themselves. The end notes, however, are not included in the Audible version which is available in BorrowBox or Overdrive.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #283
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
In case you are interested, Shaun Tan did the artwork for the German edition of Pullman's Grimm Tales. See some notes about it here. (I am a fan of Shaun Tan's work.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #284
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
In case you are interested, Shaun Tan did the artwork for the German edition of Pullman's Grimm Tales. See some notes about it here. (I am a fan of Shaun Tan's work.)
Thank You for that information!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #285
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

We're getting close to the end of our club year in June, and I think the cat's out of the bag that I was considering whether I wanted to continue on running the club or not. As it is, I am interested in continuing on running the club for now. This entire year was set up to finish out all our ongoing categories, so if we continue on we're ready for a completely fresh start, which will be a first since the lit club was started. As such, anything's possible.

I have a few ideas to throw in the ring and get the ball rolling:

-Instead of yearly cycles, we switch to three- or four-month cycles

This will give us more flexibility, such as we can choose upcoming categories closer to when we'll actually use them.

I did three-month quasi-seasonal cycles with my last two reading challenges in 2016 and 2017 and really liked it, so I think it could work well for the club.

-We divide discussion up into chunks of 5-10 days

This may encourage us to read the selections at closer to the same time and encourage more discussion posts about different parts of the book.

For instance, if we went in 7-day chunks, after the selection is chosen, we could devote the first week to discussing the first fourth of the book, the second the the first half, the third to the first three quarters, and the fourth and beyond to the entire book.

My thinking on this is that in-person book clubs require gathering together to discuss a book so it would really be unworkable to do anything other than gather to discuss the entire book at a date when everyone should be finished, and the format more or less stuck to the online transition. Online, however, we can post messages to further a discussion in a continuous manner which raises so many more possibilities, including discussing books in sections. It could be something interesting to try.

-We base our nomination/vote thread start dates on length of previous selections

This could encourage longer, harder or even shorter works to be chosen without concern for length, and give us the proper amount of time to read and discuss them.

For instance, if a selection is very short or simple, perhaps we may start the next nomination thread in only two weeks rather than a month. Or, if a selection is very long or challenging, we may put off starting a new nomination thread until a month and a half or two months or more rather than one month.

In this way, our schedule would become dynamic and based on the selections we choose.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or ideas on everything!