Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Which Ones DON'T have an internet browser? Don't require a bookstore account?

Can you remind me which ones do not have an internet browser. I have had a query from an organization that wants a reader with no internet browser. They also want a reader that's not tied to an account (ie, no Amazon account) since their real purpose is to load internal doc's and not to read books. They don't want employees purchasing/loading books.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
The Kobo doesn't have an internet browser and you can sideload documents without having to use the desktop app.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
3dusty
Connoisseur
3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.3dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
I have a Pocketbook 360 and it doesn't have connectivity or tied to a store. It's books are stored in folders so easy to load.
3dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well, the Sony PRS-350 and PRS-650 are probably the most easily accessible readers that are not connected to a book store by at least wifi. The Kobo and Nook both are tied to their respective stores.

There are a number of the smaller players who lack wifi on at least some of their models. That being said, with the exception of the Jetbook Mini, I can't think of any readers that cannot be registered with Adobe (or in the case of the Kindle with Amazon). And no book reader will prevent a user from side loading DRM free books.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the employees can't load books, then how will the documents get on there? I'm not sure that their expectations are reasonable. What's the use of having a reading device, if not to read things? I suppose they could just forbid employees to load anything "unauthorized", but why?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Can you remind me which ones do not have an internet browser. I have had a query from an organization that wants a reader with no internet browser. They also want a reader that's not tied to an account (ie, no Amazon account) since their real purpose is to load internal doc's and not to read books. They don't want employees purchasing/loading books.

MLH
There are many possibilities. I have access to quite a few. how many are they thinking about and what size display? Would they like it "branded" with company/organization logo and start up screen?

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-25-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Don't forget the Ectaco jetBook and jetBook Lite.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So, I don't really have permission to talk directly about them. And right now I'm talking through a third party. Hopefully I will get a direct contact soon.

The general concept is that they want to distribute policy manuals to many employees. They don't want them used to read books. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they would have conflicts/problems with employees making a personal use of an organization device.

Secondly, the point about 'no bookstore' is not just that they don't need the bookstore. They want to make sure that the unit does not need to be registered with a bookstore account so that employees can't/won't run up charges or purchase unauthorized books.

Thanks for all of your input so far.

p.s. My opinion is that once I talk to them, the right answer will be that they do need an internet browser. Consider the way that you can download MR books on the Kindle by going to a MR web page. Similarly, it appears to me that this would be the correct way to sideload the device. Assuming they have many of these, how would you get up to date manuals on all of them. It appears to me that access through a web page to up-to-date stuff might be the best solution.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
quite easy to put an icon that gets clicked and takes you to a specific website without giving the user the ability to go anywhere else on the net.

minus hackers and rooters of course
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
There are plenty of devices without wireless connectivity. Sony and Pocketbook are the bigger names, plus the old Kobo if it's still available. None of them have be registered to a bookstore. I imagine there is something that could be done in the software to disable the connectivity in any device.

Sideloading is usually done by connecting the device to a computer by cable, and copying the files across as you would normally. Distributing updates would therefore require users to connect their devices and download the updates manually. I suspect that your client wants the ability to automatically send updates? Actually, they could possibly use the sync feature present on most systems, and modify it to ensure that it only syncs one way (ie from the server to the device). This might also stop personal use, as it possibly could be set up to delete the unrecognised files from the device. This would still require the physical connection to the computer - but since they mostly have to recharged via the computer anyway it shouldn't be a problem.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The general concept is that they want to distribute policy manuals to many employees. They don't want them used to read books. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they would have conflicts/problems with employees making a personal use of an organization device.
There is absolutely no device that would fit this. A wireless connection or a wired connection, what's the difference? Unless they have no access to any computer with an USB cable... You would also need at least a device without any external memory, because I could put books on a SD card and read books on my Sony.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote