Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
With my last nomination, I nominate Physics: New Frontiers by Scientific American Editors.

From Goodreads:

It was a hard decision. This book should be a mind trip. On the other hand, What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe (which still needs a third) should like a whole lot of fun. Maybe someone could show a bit of love to both of them?
Why not. I don't have another I want to nominate right now (mostly because I'm still buried at work and haven't had time to do the research), so I'll give these a nod.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 AM   #32
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
It's not available in ebook (or even print anymore), so I won't nominate it, but the best overall science read is Isaac Asimov's 'A New Guide to Science'. It blows away Cosmos or anything Tyson has done.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
It's not available in ebook (or even print anymore), so I won't nominate it, but the best overall science read is Isaac Asimov's 'A New Guide to Science'. It blows away Cosmos or anything Tyson has done.
Even if it were available in ebook, the most recent edition is 45 years old, and a lot has happened in 45 years. A pity, as Asimov was a great and very accessible science writer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #34
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I will third both

And Then You're Dead

and

Physics: New Frontiers.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 AM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm calling it. Need my beauty rest. The POLL is HERE.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #36
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Even if it were available in ebook, the most recent edition is 45 years old, and a lot has happened in 45 years. A pity, as Asimov was a great and very accessible science writer.
Yea, it's not current, but doesn't have to be current. It's a history of science. Much of the material for cosmos i think was probably lifted from Asimov's book. It really gives a thorough treatise of the development of scientific thought.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Yea, it's not current, but doesn't have to be current. It's a history of science. Much of the material for cosmos i think was probably lifted from Asimov's book. It really gives a thorough treatise of the development of scientific thought.
Yep knowledge is never complete. It is interesting how it changes over time. I understand for example that in George Washington's day the Encyclopedia Brittanica was only 1 volume. So we now have a lot more knowledge of the world than in say 1776 (some 241 yrs ago) including advances in basic science.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote