Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Hummm I still waiting for the Self Drive car! Been talk of that for the past 50 years!
I just got my auto insurance renewal paperwork last month -
One of the amendments to the policy involved "networked" cars.

So they must be getting close to a reality (or the attorneys at my insurance company had a massive attack of paranoia).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope Liquavista never comes out because then we'd only have it on sub-par devices created for the lowest common denominator. Kindles could be so much more if not for that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think Amazon raised the price when they realized there are people out there that will buy the latest Kindle at any price no matter how poorly designed it is and they were correct. The Oasis is an awful design at a price that's way higher than it should be.
That's purely your opinion, of course. I, for example, did not buy either the Voyage or the Oasis because they were the latest Kindles. I bought them for specific reasons: the Voyage for its excellent screen and page-press sensors, the Oasis for its page-turn buttons and its design. Yes, my opinion is that the design of the Oasis is its greatest strength and I doubt I'm alone in this. I was willing to pay for it and have not regretted that I did.

That said, undoubtedly there are people out there who buy every latest Kindle regardless of the price, just because it's the latest. But I don't think they're the majority.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-16-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammar mistake
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
- - - -
That said, undoubtedly there are people out there who buy every latest Kindle regardless of the price, just because it's the latest. But I don't think they're the majority.
That is one example of what I meant by people who buy for the bragging rights.
(Probably the same group of people that install anything with a larger version number, because the version number is larger.)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I just got my auto insurance renewal paperwork last month -
One of the amendments to the policy involved "networked" cars.

So they must be getting close to a reality (or the attorneys at my insurance company had a massive attack of paranoia).
On Star. Wifi in cars. Not sure if Bluetooth counts as networked but I believe the first two count as networked.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's purely your opinion, of course. I, for example, did not buy either the Voyage or the Oasis because they were the latest Kindles. I bought them for specific reasons: the Voyage for its excellent screen and page-press sensors, the Oasis for its page-turn buttons and its design. Yes, my opinion is that the design of the Oasis is its greatest strength and I doubt I'm alone in this. I was willing to pay for it and have not regretted that I did.

I think most people who buy an Oasis do it for bragging rights. There's no other reason to buy one at that price and awful design.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think most people who buy an Oasis do it for bragging rights. There's no other reason to buy one at that price and awful design.
Have you actually talked to anyone that bought it only for bragging rights? That is just a curiousity.
Though I must agree with you on 1 point. It is an awful design for some people.
Others happen to like that design.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
On Star. Wifi in cars. Not sure if Bluetooth counts as networked but I believe the first two count as networked.
I am pretty sure I posted about getting an OnStar equip'd vehicle several years ago.
I located the antenna lead and unplugged it.
My vehicle's OnStar system is always in a "zero signal strength" zone.

I did get a few snail-mail notices that my OnStar system wasn't responding and that I should take the vehicle to a dealer for repair.
They finally gave up on that.

I don't like Amazon reading over my shoulder when I use one of their e-book readers.
I like even less GM keeping track of where I take my vehicle.
If the police want to stop me, they can just "old school" blink their lights at me - no remote vehicle shutdown available on my vehicle.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I am pretty sure I posted about getting an OnStar equip'd vehicle several years ago.
I located the antenna lead and unplugged it.
My vehicle's OnStar system is always in a "zero signal strength" zone.

I did get a few snail-mail notices that my OnStar system wasn't responding and that I should take the vehicle to a dealer for repair.
They finally gave up on that.

I don't like Amazon reading over my shoulder when I use one of their e-book readers.
I like even less GM keeping track of where I take my vehicle.
If the police want to stop me, they can just "old school" blink their lights at me - no remote vehicle shutdown available on my vehicle.
Sirius finally gave up on us. We don't have on star. And my GPS is a garmin.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Sirius finally gave up on us. We don't have on star. And my GPS is a garmin.
That sounds hard to track (independent pieces).

I have (when bored) read technical things on how the GM system works.
Just with the thought to make it always report the GPS coordinates of a Ford dealer used car lot.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #26
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I looked at the Oasis when it came out and was disappointed. I had been hoping for a liquavista display or other significant advance. I saw no reason to upgrade from my Voyage, which I was happy with. Then my Voyage had an unfortunate accident (my own fault) and I was confronted with the choice of another Voyage or the Oasis. I went for the Oasis and do not regret the decision. It is expensive, but like many here I read voraciously and both my Oasis and my H20 are used heavily. The cost difference in these circumstances spread over the life of the reader is not really that significant for me.

For those who have a Voyage or a later Paperwhite, I wouldn't suggest upgrading. But if they fail or you are in the market for another Kindle, you should consider it. It is not the quantum leap forward I would have liked, but it is an improvement. But you do pay a premium. It is not the best value for money in the Amazon range, but if you are going to use it heavily it may be good value for you.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #27
unattached
unattached doesn't litterunattached doesn't litter

Device: Icarus Illumina
Regarding this thread's topic, Liquavista got a new website recently, so there is hope left! http://www.liquavista.com
unattached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The new web site does make me a lot more optimistic. They have hired some seriously good people by the looks of their brief CVs.

Perhaps it's not too optimistic to hope for a liquavista based Kindle by the end of 2020.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The new web site does make me a lot more optimistic. They have hired some seriously good people by the looks of their brief CVs.

Perhaps it's not too optimistic to hope for a liquavista based Kindle by the end of 2020.
Oh, come on now, the briefs are no indication.
http://www.liquavista.com/company.html

Even if they dragged a member out of the gutter behind the nearest (drug) shooting gallery they would clean them up for the picture and not mention where they found the person.

Last edited by knc1; 05-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I looked at the Oasis when it came out and was disappointed. I had been hoping for a liquavista display or other significant advance. I saw no reason to upgrade from my Voyage, which I was happy with. Then my Voyage had an unfortunate accident (my own fault) and I was confronted with the choice of another Voyage or the Oasis. I went for the Oasis and do not regret the decision. It is expensive, but like many here I read voraciously and both my Oasis and my H20 are used heavily. The cost difference in these circumstances spread over the life of the reader is not really that significant for me.

For those who have a Voyage or a later Paperwhite, I wouldn't suggest upgrading. But if they fail or you are in the market for another Kindle, you should consider it. It is not the quantum leap forward I would have liked, but it is an improvement. But you do pay a premium. It is not the best value for money in the Amazon range, but if you are going to use it heavily it may be good value for you.
Braggart!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote