Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
mirbg
Enthusiast
mirbg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Paperwhite 2 light distribution of the screen question?

Hi, guys!

I just bought my KPW2 and would love some feedback considering the light distribution of the screen.
Here are some pics I took:

Completely dark room and max brightness setting (24):

CLICK any image to enlarge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	033057162-big.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	122104

Name:	033057163-big.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	122105

Normal light in the room:

Name:	033057161-big.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	122106

Name:	033057158-big.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	122107

Name:	033057157-big.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	122108

What do you think about the evenness of the screen? Should I be worried about it or it is more like normal?

Big thanks in advance!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-25-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Oversized graphics.
mirbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Looks good to me. There's not a huge amount of shadowing or unevenness despite the fact you're showing it in a completely dark room with the light at full (you'd never use it this way).

It's how it looks to you that matters, and in the way in which you'll use it when reading. So try it with the light down at a lower setting in a dark/gloomy room (not necessarily completely dark), and also in normal light settings with the light turned up a little higher.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Looks just fine. In a dark room, I keep mine at a setting between 3 and 7.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
mirbg
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response, guys!
Don't you think this darker shadow on right corner of the bottom shouldn't be there? Just curious...

Name:	033057906-big.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	122109

Do yours have this?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-25-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to attachment.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I posted an answer in to your post in the "first impressions" thread--but I'll answer here too. As Soulfuldog pointed out--you'd never actually use your Kindle at full brightness in complete darkness. Put it to a light level your comfortable with (for me in a dark room that's between 9-12) and see what it looks like. If there's something about the screen that really bothers you, then contact Amazon for a replacement. But, don't go looking for problems! Frankly, from looking at the pictures you posted, I think you got a really good Kindle. Sure, I see a little uneveness in lighting at the bottom, that's normal--but it wouldn't bother me--and at a reduced lighting level the shadowing effect will be even less.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're not going to be looking at the bottom right corner when you are reading.

I agree with not looking for problems where there aren't any.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
mirbg
Enthusiast

This picture was taken at brightness level of 10, but you have a point.
I should stop looking for flaws and imperfections but just enjoy my unit..
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard

10 is still pretty bright in a dark room. I find that I start at about a 7 or so, and as I continue reading in the dark I end up dropping it down as my eyes adjust.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
mirbg
Enthusiast

Paperwhite 2 light distribution of the screen question?

So basically I could believe that this is in a frame of one normal manufactory tolerance and every unit has it to some degree?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
10 is still pretty bright in a dark room. I find that I start at about a 7 or so, and as I continue reading in the dark I end up dropping it down as my eyes adjust.
I've read posts from several people who use level 7 or 8 in a dark room. I usually need mine set at 11. If it's anything less than 9 I can't make out the words. Always makes me wonder if I have bad eyes or if there are variances between PWs. Probably a little of both. :-)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post
So basically I could believe that this is in a frame of one normal manufactory tolerance and every unit has it to some degree?
Yes, I would say that is accurate.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirbg View Post
This picture was taken at brightness level of 10, but you have a point.
I should stop looking for flaws and imperfections but just enjoy my unit..
That wouldn't work for me. I would want it right. I would always notice the shadow (couldn't ignore it by force of will) and, I'm pretty sure, this is not what a Paperwhite is supposed to look like.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Just disable the sidelight completely. Works for me.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard

joblack--you can't disable the sidelight completely--well at least not unless you open up the Kindle and disconnect it. But you can turn it way down. Of course that doesn't work if you want to read in the dark--which is when you'd notice the light distribution. But as I've mentioned in my previous posts, to me, the pictures look like a good screen. Pretty close to what my KPW2 looks like at light level 10 and I'm very happy with it.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
When I first got my paperwhite 2 I did the exact same thing. I looked for any flaws that would bother my reading experience. At first, I had a blotch like area like yours and was worried. I decided to wait it out since I had thirty days to decide. After a week I could not find the blotch area. I don't know if it disappeared or if I just "got over it." I really enjoy reading on my pw2. It is my favorite reader now.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote