Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
$13 eReader?

Evidently Txtr is preparing a 10 Euro/$13 ereader:

Txtr Beagle eReader

Obviously there are limitations: Bluetooth, not WiFi, 5" screen, meant to be paired with a phone. Still...
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The comments are making it seem even dicier.
It can only be fed via a proprietary app and it appears the app pre-renders the transfered books to a proprietary format, with a 5 book limit.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
YUCK! Sounds awful.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
That article and comments are much less encouraging than Engadget's which made it seem fairly nice, if very bare boned.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
One comment says the app requires a Facebook login. So... not enough to require special software to transfer books; you need to login with a third-party account, as well.

Wonder if that's how they're making it so cheap--by selling the user data to sponsors.

(Too bad, though. I'd cope with special transfer software if it worked by USB from a computer, and actually stored its own ebooks.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Nice one Txtr. Putting that 3m money to good use.

The 5 inch displays have a higher ppi than the 6 inch so text should be a little crisper and if it can be read in landscape you can keep the words per page count up to keep from increasing the page turns by much.

Nice that someone finally took Holly Gates' Blue Chute design and the Osprey concept from 2003 and really built a reader that is a bluetooth phone accessory

http://www.positron.org/projects/bluechute/

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1...d=10878,00.asp

of course the real question will be if they can get some presence in the carriers' store fronts to offer them at that price
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
of course the real question will be if they can get some presence in the carriers' store fronts to offer them at that price
I'm thinking the bigger question is whether the carriers will lock the transfer/render app to their ebookstores.
Knowing how euro telcos operate, I wouldn't count on being able to sideload ebooks from other sources.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Yikes, Facebook login is nice as an option but no way would I buy a reader that requires it. A reader that demands to have access to my Facebook information is exactly the kind of reader that I don't want to give it to.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
To me it seems like one of those LCD picture frames, but even more limited. And the price is subsidized. I wonder what it really costs. I'd rather read books on my phone than mess with this thing. I certainly wouldn't pay anything for it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I wouldn't pay 10 cents for it if I actually had to use it, but it might work as a cheap gift item for businesses to their customers.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Tying it to a smartphone is a terrible idea. At least, if their goal is to sell one to me.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you can tranfer from pc as well
Quote:
Update: A txtr rep has shown up in the comments and he says that the txtr iOS app will also soon get support for transferring ebooks to the Beagle – PCs too.
where is the facebook requirement?

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 10-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
4GB. That can't be right. That would be good for many more than 5 books, even rendered as 800x600 image files. And over bluetooth it would take forever to fill up.

Still, for the price and the novelty, I'd get one.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I like the idea of aaa batteries keeping it charged for an extremely long time and allowing users to change them when and where required. I would gladly accept slight increase in thickness and weight for that.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
you can tranfer from pc as well

where is the facebook requirement?
I was wondering that too; the only Facebook reference I can see is in one of the comments. I'm a little surprised at the hostility shown towards this; if we cast our minds back a few years all our eink readers had to be connected to a PC via USB to transfer our books - this just swaps USB for Bluetooth and the PC for a smartphone - or presumably, anything that'll run the Android (and soon iOS) Textr app that has Bluetooth.

I'm sure some people will moan about the inability to alter the fonts/size on the fly, but this is an eink reader to €10! TBH, I'm wondering why they bother charging at all - do they need the €10 that badly?? Could they not subsidise it that last little bit to make it free?

Still, for €10 I'm in; why not?
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote